Discovery Gaming Community
Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? (/showthread.php?tid=149988)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Jansen - 05-14-2017

(05-14-2017, 09:51 AM)Crypto Wrote:
(05-14-2017, 09:04 AM)Jansen Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 06:16 AM)Thyrzul Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 06:08 AM)sindroms Wrote: People expect admins to do things, people hate when admins do things.
People expect devs to do things, people hate it when devs do things.
People expect people to do things, people hate it when people do things.

things that do not match up with their own expectations, that is.

Way to oversimplify a complex issue. Thing is, what you just wrote, in the form you wrote, is simply not true, and has been a bad meme for years now. We are not clones of eachother, changing our minds at a daily basis, try making a difference between people and people and perhaps you'll finally find some sense in the apparent chaos. There is some, you just need to look for it, not just pretend.

Im german, we tend to have bad experiences with making differences between people and people. Just saying...
What Spazzy likely meant could also be boiled down to 'whatever we do, not everyone will be happy about it'. Thats simply the truth, you cant make everyone happy in a diversified community, but you can at least try to make the place enjoyable for the majority.

(05-05-2017, 10:54 PM)Dave.Synk Wrote: Again. The Staff that can't handle it, drop it. I don't get it why people just can't let go of their green name and make the community choose fresh. Point, look for new freshmeat with fresh powers and energy, fresh ideas and on and on.

What's your problem guys in doing that ?

I don't think it hurts to look for new people who know and can do the Admin/dev job for some that are slowly getting "rusty" to say the least.

I have been doing this fun job since 2012 and stopped recently because RL obligations just got into the way more and more in the past few months, leaving little to no time to actually contribte (OHNOEZ AN ADMIN LETTING GO OF THEIR GREEN NAME!!!1!). So I guess I could say that I have seen quite a few staff members come and go.
Chosing new people to do the job is something that is easily said, but it simply doesnt work the way you imagine it and leaving the choice entirely up to the Commnity is likely not going to end too well.
If you appoint someone for an Admin position (or even a Mod position to a bit lesser extent) then you should be able to trust that person to deal with personal data, having access to player and server files (which includes the potential to just destroy disco completely and irreversibly within a very short amount of time), to be unbiased and to be able to deal with the drama that runs before and behind the scenes for more than a month (which is the time someone needs to actually understand the basics and to be able to really do the job), otherwise all the effort spend to train that person is wasted and could have been used to actually get other things done. This all boils down to having a very limited amount of 'Admin Material' within the community.
Also, if you want to get rid of all Admins and get new ones, who is going to show them how things even work? The 'removed' Admins likely wont, so good luck with this.

Yep, there are a couple admins, who got rid of their green name.

What I really want to see is though something like a public application thread for admins and devs, where anyone is allowed to apply and anyone is allowed to read. Every 2-3 months there could be a community poll about one of these applicants. Of course these polls must have a minimum vote count to reflect the active community tendency realistically and being justifiable.

Yup, this would be a nice idea. But it wont work in practice for the reasons mentioned, I dont think that the community in its whole is able to evaluate peoples abilities for a job they dont know all that much about, so this still has a very high risk of people being voted in, that cant deal with all the drama and will quit shortly after. This also sadly has large trolling potential (Oh look, that guy just tried applying again, LOLOLOLOL what an idiot,...).
Also, if you only want the 'active' community to vote, how do you decide who is active? What about people that just play the game and dont care too much about forum drama? You would leave these out, so its not necessarily going to include your two reflection points.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Sombs - 05-14-2017

Remember the guys with the most friends always wins.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - sasapinjic - 05-14-2017

(05-14-2017, 11:12 AM)Birb Wrote: @"Crypto" The community itself isn't adult enough to be even considered as responsible for such a thing. The fact the closed groups of players can unleash tonnes of toxicity towards players not fitting their personal views is the finest example. There are many form of abuse that is not sanctionable within server rules, yet harmful to the player and his activity.

+1

(05-14-2017, 02:11 PM)Jansen Wrote: it wont work in practice

^ Agreed , public vote for admins will be decided by who can promise most things to its voters/faction members , like in modern democracy , richest candidate wins .

EDIT :

I was to slow , beaten by Kunoichi , i must train harder secret art of forum posting .

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Vendetta - 05-14-2017

Public voting would require its own set of guidelines, because it isn't a popularity contest. Candidates would have to be selected and narrowed down based on behavior, capability, attitude and a myriad of other traits that would suit the position prior to qualifying to be voted on.

Right now the entire system is flawed and could use a redux.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - spaceminer - 05-14-2017

What is happemimg with disco?

Simple question with a very simple answer ,

When someone , an individual or a group of people cause problems that drive people away (gray areas of the rules for ex. e.t.c) and they maybe get a ban and after a while come back to do the same things , a cyrcle is created that repeat again and again , we all know these snakes or trouble makers , they are here for a long time , we all also know that they are still around doing the same things , as long as these people are here i can tell you the server will keep going to the direction called SERVER IS DYING . At the end there will be left only the snakes to bite each other like a jar full of them that noone is able to stay in it but them, and all the people that could come stay and make it nice here will be gone, it happened so many times, it is still happening and will continue to happen , unless it is desided by those who have the right to do so to sent the snakes away for good.
So long as this is not happening someone will always be wondering what the hell is happening with Disco.
Well this is what is happening, choose to see it and act , or choose to do nothing, that's what is happening in Disco.
Wanna make it healthy? Deal with the pathogenes and it will be healthy.
Don't ask me about who i mean when i say Snakes , old players know ...