Discovery Gaming Community
Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Community Input: Server rules revamp. (/showthread.php?tid=149994)

Pages: 1 2

Community Input: Server rules revamp. - sindroms - 05-04-2017

Good day, everyone.

It is that time again, fixing certain broken things that were implemented by people in the past who should have known better. We are currently in the process of finalizing our version of the rule revamp for the year 2017, with these rules needing to be a balance between approachability for newbies and a safeguard from veteran players who enjoy too much time skirting them.

Needless to say, one thing that we can confirm already is the fact that the rules thread split will be reversed and a much more coherent description for complicated rules will be provided in spoiler tags. Apart from that, we will try to do our best to standardize, explain and then make a glossary of terms such as Assisting, Allying, Trading, Smuggling, Piracy and so on.

We will also be providing forum rules in a separate reply from the server rules in the existing thread for obvious reasons.

Below you will find a simple form that you can fill out with your suggestions.

Code:
[hr][hr]
[color=#FFBF00][b]Existing Line:[/b][/color] TEXT
[color=#FFBF00][b]Suggested Alteration:[/b][/color] TEXT
[hr]
[color=#FFBF00][b]Description/Comments:[/b][/color] TEXT
[hr]

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Toris (Old Account) - 05-04-2017

Existing Line: 3.8 Attacking people in Connecticut, without their express permission
Suggested Alteration: 3.8 Attacking people in Connecticut without their permission.

Description/Comments: Coma is needless; Simplified the statement.

Existing Line: 4.2 Demands should be reasonable and only one monetary or cargo demand can be issued during each piracy interaction.
Suggested Alteration: 4.2 Demands should be reasonable and only one monetary or cargo demand can be issued during each piracy interaction. Player can demand all the cargo if it reflects the used ID.
Description/Comments: I am not sure how to exactly word it up, but factions such as Xenos have possibility to demand all the cargo and destroy it, because that is their roleplay and shouldn't be considered griefing or trolling. I think we should reflect such a thing within server rules.

Existing Line: (No such a rule.)
Suggested Alteration: 4.5? Smuggling does not count as unlawful action within ID rules. However, certain cargo may be restricted within roleplay by House Laws and confiscated by respectable factions as consequence of such.
Description/Comments: There are people who still confuse that smuggling cannot be done by Freelancers because it is (factually) an unlawful action. The part in italics is optional, but offers clarification.

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - nOmnomnOm - 05-04-2017

I dont think simplifying things further is needed, but that is my opinion.
what I mean by that is that the rules will be so generic that it can loose value

And um.. Freelancers can smuggle

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - TickTack - 05-04-2017

Existing Line:none
Suggested Alteration: 3.9: This is a Role play server, Role playing is required and you cannot ignore other people when they attempt to Role play with your character, Ships that are already engaged in combat are not required to do RP.

Description/Comments: To stop these silent traders that do 0 RP and only try and escape pirates as well as various other reasons such as Lawfulls completely ignoring unlawfulls when they attempt to RP, the combat exception rule was added so that this rule cannot be abused by trying to get someone to RP while they are fleeing.

Existing Line: 4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, that character/ship does not re-enter the same system for 2 hours and the Player, on any of their ships, cannot reengage the aggressors on any character for 2 hours. You are allowed a grace period of 5 minutes to leave the system with an empty cargo hold and you are safe from further attack during this grace period within that system. If the attacker(s) log off, you may re-enter the system you died in
Suggested Alteration: 4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, you cannot not re-enter the same system on your ship or any alternate ships you may have for 2 hours. You, cannot reengage the aggressors on any of your characters for 2 hours. You are allowed a grace period of 5 minutes to leave the system with an empty cargo hold and you are safe from further attack during this grace period within that system. If the attacker(s) log off, you may re-enter the system you died in but still cannot re-engage the attacker/s until two hours have passed.

Description/Comments: The current rule allows for abuse as it stands, lets say I'm hunting DSE on my pirate, so DSE get a navy to kill me, I can then log a different character and enter the same system and hunt DSE again, there is nothing in the current rule set that prevents this. Additionally there have been occasions in large brawls where people have had to log during a fight for whatever reason and people take advantage of this logging straight back in after they've logged and going after them again, to me that's just salty hate revenge because they want to kill the guy who just killed them.

Existing Line: 4.2 Demands should be reasonable and only one monetary or cargo demand can be issued during each piracy interaction.
Suggested Alteration: 4.2 Demands should be reasonable and may consist of multiple demands, however all demands must be made before the other player accepts any demand, hence you may not make a demand and wait for them to comply and then make another demand after they have already complied with the first demand.

Description/Comments: [^^Needs to be reworded to make it more clear but I'm lacking the brain power to do it right now^^]What if I demand cargo and for the ship to turn back and leave the way it came, that's two demands but perfectly reasonable in my opinion. Additionally sometimes traders don't have 8 million credits, there must be room for a compromise such as 4 million and 1500 cargo or whatever.

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Foxglove - 05-04-2017

sindroms Wrote:[...]Apart from that, we will try to do our best to standardize, explain and then make a glossary of terms such as Assisting, Allying, Trading, Smuggling, Piracy and so on.[...}

I would suggest the following definitions for your glossary.

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Crazyr0m - 05-04-2017

Existing Line: 4.4 Every char must have only one type of ID equipped and they must play to that ID.
Suggested Alteration: 4.4 Every char may have only one ID, and they must play and Role Play to that ID.

Description/Comments: I have been reading sanction notices (to learn what and how not to do), and I see that many people get confused with current rule. "only one type of ID equipped" is easily interpreted as "1 equipped (mounted) and 3 more unequipped (unmounted), then I can dock and equip (mount) another one when I want to". Since game will not allow you to fly with unmounted ID (you can not undock), no need to enforce that the only ID has to be mounted. So that leaves us with just "you have to possess only 1 ID." (since game will force you to mount it).

Play to ID = follow the ingame NPC faction rules. Role play is different from just "play" since it means play current ID to the Other Players, not just to NPCs.

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Corile - 05-04-2017

Existing Line: 4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, that character/ship does not re-enter the same system for 2 hours and the Player, on any of their ships, cannot reengage the aggressors on any character for 2 hours. You are allowed a grace period of 5 minutes to leave the system with an empty cargo hold and you are safe from further attack during this grace period within that system. If the attacker(s) log off, you may re-enter the system you died in
Suggested Alteration: If you die whilst in a PVP situation, that character must not log on for 2 hours and the Player on any of their ships cannot reengage the aggressors on any character for 2 hours.

Description/Comments: The grace period rules are stupid and lead to pointless situations like "I kill a pirate in California, they go to NY, i kill them in NY again, then they go to Texas, i kill them in texas, they go to Colorado, i kill them in colorado, 2h passed, the guy is in california again".

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Crazyr0m - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 07:32 PM)Corile Wrote:

Suggested Alteration: If you die whilst in a PVP situation, that character must not log on for 2 hours and the Player on any of their ships cannot reengage the aggressors on any character for 2 hours.

Description/Comments: The grace period rules are stupid and lead to pointless situations like "I kill a pirate in California, they go to NY, i kill them in NY again, then they go to Texas, i kill them in texas, they go to Colorado, i kill them in colorado, 2h passed, the guy is in california again".

Grace period is ok, let them leave, but need to add some rule so cant "kill them in texas, they go to Colorado, i kill them in colorado,".

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Devastator - 05-04-2017

Suggested Alteration: 4.2 Only one reasonable demand of monetary and or cargo shall be issued during each piracy/policing interaction.

Description/Comments: This plays to Ticktack's reasons as well as eliminates the ability to further charge a player in the forums. On several occasions I have seen a fine or cargo drop in game only to see another fine pop up in forums. It's just a little more clarifying.

Suggested Alteration: 4.1 If you die whilst in a PVP situation, in any form, that character/ship does not re-enter the same system for 2 hours and the Player, on any of their ships, cannot reengage the aggressors on any character for 2 hours. Likewise the aggressors and any of their faction cannot reengage that character for 2 hours. You are allowed a grace period of 5 minutes to leave the system with an empty cargo hold and you are safe from further attack during this grace period within that system. If the attacker(s) log off, you may re-enter the system you died in.

Description/Comments: The reason I am proposing this is because while the player cannot enter the same system as long as the aggressor is logged in the aggressor can still hunt the player. The game simply becomes unplayable for those that are trying to complete RP things and don't play PVP. In example if I log my liberty train and get blown away in Colorado then that character has been killed by that faction and should be assumed dead. How ever I leave the system and go about a different rout to complete some delivery. The aggressors uses the current players list to find out where I am and heads me off resulting in conflict within 30 minutes of my death in a different system with the same people. Of course they won't treat this as an isolated encounter so your RP ability in this situation is already shot and you get blown away again. You have now spent 60 minutes of your life and have had one maybe decent RP event and one that wasn't even RP. There is also the fact that two systems are now cut off from you. This also discourages you from game play as you come to expect that you have died once if you log in again they will find you and just blow you up again so why even try.

Existing Line: Non existent
Suggested Alteration: 4.5 No one may engage a person within 30 minutes of login time on a proven repetitive streak. A PVP death counts as logging out.

Description/Comments: This rule would limit log hunters. People who see a particular name or faction tag login and then attempt to intercept and destroy the target. It may be balanced in many aspects and could theoretically solve the issues I have stated in the rule change above (4.1). An example of breaking this rule would be I log a Junker fighter and am patrolling a system and see John Richards caring some suspicious cargo. I tell him to stop and he does not as is his right as a transporter. I kill him. Moments later he logs back in at a nearby system. I happen to have a ship in that system and switch ships. I then discover that he again has some suspicious cargo and order him to stop. Which he does not and I then kill him. This kind of play discourages players from attempting RP and keeps them from logging in as they assume they will just be hunted. This may not be the correct answer and I would like to see others opinions and options for fixing this issue that occasionally occurs.

My reasons for the 4.5 rule are as follows. You should not hinder some one from playing the game because they are bad at PVP. There must be repercussions for bad choices, I understand that, but it becomes very hard to have fun playing a game when you are constantly shot at no matter where you go by the same person. Or you have to come back in two hours which is a large chunk of time. So for two hours I get to sit there and twiddle my thumbs and most likely play a different game. Then come back and hope the same thing doesn't happen again. We should be promoting play not discouraging it.

RE: Community Input: Server rules revamp. - Corile - 05-04-2017

Quote:The reason I am proposing this is because while the player cannot enter the same system as long as the aggressor is logged in the aggressor can still hunt the player
>log a rogue
>pirate in NY
>get shot by a LPI and a Navy
>go to california
>continue to pirate
>lawfuls can't do anything
>endless profit

that's dumb.