Discovery Gaming Community
Conception - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Conception (/showthread.php?tid=150153)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Conception - Karlotta - 09-19-2017

INDIVIDUATION

The great difficulty in interpreting this and similar texts for the European mind is due to the fact that the Chinese author always starts from the center of things, from the point we would call his objective or goal ; in a word, he begins with the ultimate insight he has set out to attain. Thus the Chinese author begins his work with ideas that demand a most comprehensive understanding on our part. So much so, that a man with a critical intellect feels he speaks with laughable pretension, or even that he is guilty of utter nonsense, if he dares launch a purely intellectual discourse on the subtle psychic experiences of the great minds of the East.

For example, our text begins: "That which exists through itself, is called Tao"

The Hui Ming Ching begins with the words: "The most subtle secret of Tao is essence and life."

It is characteristic of the Western mind that it has no concept for Tao. The Chinese sign is made up of the sign for "head", and that for "going". Wilhelm translates Tao by Sinn (Meaning). Others translate it as "Way", “Providence", or even as "God", as the Jesuits do.

This shows the difficulty. "Head" could be taken as consciousness, and "to go", as travelling a way, and then the idea would be: to go consciously, or the conscious way. This agrees with the fact that "the Light of Heaven" which "dwells between the eyes" as the "Heart of Heaven", is used synonymously with Tao. ”Essence and life" are contained in the "Light of Heaven", and according to Liu Hua-yang, are the most important secrets of Tao. "Light" is the symbolical equivalent of consciousness, and the nature of consciousness is expressed by analogies with light.

The Hui Ming Ching is introduced with the verse:

"If thou wouldst complete the diamond body without emanations,
Diligently heat the roots of consciousness and life.
Kindle Light in the blessed country ever close at hand,
And, there hidden, let thy true self eternally dwell."

These verses contain a sort of alchemistic instruction as to a method or way of creating the "diamond body" which also appears in our text. "Heating" is necessary; that is, there must be a heightening of consciousness in order that the dwelling place of the spirit can be "illumined". But not only consciousness, life itself must be heightened. The union of these two produces "conscious life'.

According to the Hui Ming Ching, the ancient sages knew how to bridge the gap between consciousness and life because they cultivated both. In this way the immortal body is "melted out", and in this way "the great Tao is completed". If we take Tao as the method or conscious way by which to unite what is separated, we have probably come quite close to the psychological content of the concept. In any case, the separation of consciousness from life could not very well be understood as anything other than what I have described above as the deflection, or deracination of consciousness. Without doubt also, the question of making the opposites conscious ("conversion"), means reunion with the laws of life represented in the unconscious, and the purpose of this reunion is the attainment of conscious life, or, expressed in Chinese terms, the bringing about of Tao.

~Carl Jung on “The Secret of the Golden Flower” (1925 A.D)

"Hey Kara, wanna touch it?"

"Stop screwing around and focus."

"Zelman, just throw your pickaxe at it and we'll see what happens."

It bounces off in a soundless collision and Chris skillfully caught it on its way back. Impressive.

"So Zelman’s perfect reflector pulled in mass but this perfect absorber reflects it. Counter-intuitive, but interesting."

"Proceed into the opening."

Chris and I propelled ourselves slowly into the hole and followed it inwards for several meters. It became impossible to know where the walls are despite our flashlights because whatever material it's made from absorbs light so well that we saw nothing but complete darkness. Chris bumped his head.

"We’ll just feel ourselves along the path. At least now we know it's not dangerous to touch."

His chunky astronaut glove held mine and we advanced together, feeling the way with our free hands. After a distance of about 20 meters, we came to the point where the downward slope becomes steeper and we saw something that reflects light below.

RE: Conception - Karlotta - 09-20-2017

"There’s something below us. We’re heading towards it."

"Be sure to transmit everything you see to the Trailblazer. At any sign of movement, immedia…
"

The transmission was cut off. We halted and looked back. The view of the Trailblazer had just disappeared behind the downward bend in the tunnel.

"Nothing is reflecting the radio waves around the bend, so we lost contact. I think it should be enough to place a metallic object there, to deflect them towards us. Give me yo...."

Red lights lit up on the two new belts O’hara had given us. Sidd’s voice sounded in our helmets.

"To avoid detonation, regain radio contact with the Trailblazer within one minute, enter over-ride codes, or give a valid reason to extend the deadline."

"The hell?"

"Keep calm. It’s a security measure to keep us from being captured alive and used as lab rats by aliens. Remember the mission directives."

"Good to know Sidd's the judge, jury, and executioner."

"It makes sense. If something happens to us, Sidd’s the best chance to relay data back to Liberty. Even when we’re dead, captured, or the cryopods failed on the way back. He also won’t have any scruples killing us to avoid giving information to hostile forces, like humans could."

"Thirty seconds remaining.
"

Chris thrust upwards and pulled me with him.

...orman can you hear me? Respond immediately!

Detonation aborted.

All ok. We lost contact because the radio waves couldn’t reach us. We’ll leave something adrift here so they can reflect inwards.

Understood. Do it and proceed.

Chris pulled out a small stabilizer, attached it to my pickaxe, and left them in a stationary position before we continued downwards.

The tunnel walls are still black, but become shiny as if made from dark polished marble as we went onwards. The corridor widens and ends in a large circular room which has delicate ornament-like irregularities in the walls, reminiscent of a cathedral or mosque or other temple. In the middle of the room is what I thought looked like a bouquet or bush of unnaturally large flowers, or flower-buds, each of them over five meters long. They also appeared to be made of smooth dark stone or crystal to me.

"Can you hear us?"

"Yes. Report. What did you find? " O’hara’s voice sounded tense.

"At the end of the corridor is something that looks... I would describe it like something halfway between an 18th century cathedral and a green-house, with large crystalline flower-buds in the middle. No signs of life or activity. Everything is made of glass-like shiny black stone. "

"Point the imager and the light in the same direction. I hardly see anything like this."

I turned around my own axis pointing the instrument to give a panoramic view. "Thanks, now move sideways a meter and do it again so I can generate a more accurate 3D model. Good."

I looked around the room suspiciously with my flashlight looking for more details while Andrea inspected the data she received. The things that seemed to be the center-pieces of the room have a tip formed like a flower-bud, reed, or spore, large enough to hold a human adult. Towards the rear they become thinner until three fine sepals split off and curve forwards.

"Go closer to one of those… elongated things, and hold imager and flashlight close to the surface. Yes. Like that

"What is it?"

"It’s... I don’t know, but it has remarkably fine structures. Like the fibers of organic material, but made of siliceous and carbon crystals. The computer can identify tessaracts, 600-cells, and more hyper-polytopes of various degrees. They seem to be interwoven at an almost molecular level. And somehow…

Both of you, turn off your flashlights!
"

Chris obeyed immediately, I did after I found the button.

"They’re phosphorescent."

Trying hard I could now see the location where I had been pointing the flashlight was glowing in the darkness.

"Hold the imager close on it and hold still."

After a few seconds, Andrea cursed.

Damn. The bandwidth is too low. I need to see the temporal change in the fine structures, but the radio signal is too week to transmit it in real time. Press the imager against something stable to reduce the shaking, and start recording so I can look at it later.

I turned my light back on to look for a good place, then decided to press the imager against one of the sepals and have it point at the main shaft. I drifted to the rear, held on to the sepal with one hand, and pressed the imager against it with the other.

Ok it’s recording.

"Also activate the SQUID on the imager."

"The what?"

"The Superconducting Quantum Interference Device. It’s activated by the button that says SQUID on the left side.
"

"I don’t see it."

"Try the other left."

"Gotcha."

"Good. Now turn your flashlight on and off several times pointing it at the region you’re recording. Gorman. While she does that, attach your imager to something so it looks at the same thing. We’ll leave it transmitting while you bring me Kara’s recording.
" Andrea was beginning to sound increasingly anxious.

Ok, you should bring it here now.

"Should I leave behind a light to illuminate the…"

No!
” Andrea interjected quickly. “Bring me the recording, leave your imager transmitting, and don’t leave behind any light sources. Try to hurry.She’s not telling us something.

Do as Peterson says. You have your orders.

When we emerged from the darkness we had to wait until the shader in our visors adjusted itself so we weren’t blinded by the intensely bright purple-pink surroundings. We drifted hand-in-hand towards the Trailblazer. As we approached I saw the extent of the damage to the port side for the first time.

This may be a good time to assess the damage to the port cabin and see if we can re-pressurize it.

"Negative. Bring us the recording first."

"We’ll see about repairs when we’re back in Omega 159 and out of the radiation and asteroids. A temporary fix will probably just blow again from vibrations when going back through the gate."

I wonder what’s inside the depressurized cabin.

It must be Andrea’s and the Captain’s cabin. Chris and mine is on the starboard side. That’s where their stasis pods must be, since they aren’t on the bridge nor in our cabin. That must be what she’s trying to hide. That’s what they’re not telling us.

And they won’t let us know what really happened until it’s too late.