Discovery Gaming Community
If you were a new player.... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: If you were a new player.... (/showthread.php?tid=150287)

Pages: 1 2

If you were a new player.... - Mickk - 05-15-2017

It's a POLL!

If you were a new player and an experienced player gave you something, what would prefer?

RE: If you were a new player.... - Apollon - 05-15-2017

Advices.

RE: If you were a new player.... - Mickk - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 07:50 AM)Ghostazarashi Wrote: Advices.

Totally jumped the gun Ghost Tongue

RE: If you were a new player.... - Epo - 05-15-2017

Kitten ofc, for reasons.

RE: If you were a new player.... - Zyliath - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 07:50 AM)Ghostazarashi Wrote: Advices.
Seconded.

RE: If you were a new player.... - Karst - 05-15-2017

It's been many, many years and my memory is foggy at this point, but I had a great time making money, exploring and trying stuff out as a new player.
The only thing I wish people had told me is /restart. Everything else you can kind of figure out on your own, but having nothing mapped seriously impedes your ability to find trade routes.

Come to think of it, that would be a great server message or even login message.

"Making a new ship? You can start with an extensive map and tuned reputation for different factions. Type /showrestarts for details."

RE: If you were a new player.... - Sombs - 05-15-2017

The worst thing you can do is giving a newbie cash or ships or showing them the online navmap or other tools. To newbies, Discovery is actual discovery. If anything, my first advise would be to tell the player to explore the universe, find trade routes on their own and stick to minimal RP/PvP for the time being. First learn the environment, then the rules of it. The first milestones every player should make is earning themselves their first bigger ships. Mammoth, Kujira and then the first combat stuff. And only then the player should get more into RP/PvP.

RE: If you were a new player.... - Epo - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 09:37 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: The worst thing you can do is giving a newbie cash or ships or showing them the online navmap or other tools. To newbies, Discovery is actual discovery. If anything, my first advise would be to tell the player to explore the universe, find trade routes on their own and stick to minimal RP/PvP for the time being. First learn the environment, then the rules of it. The first milestones every player should make is earning themselves their first bigger ships. Mammoth, Kujira and then the first combat stuff. And only then the player should get more into RP/PvP.

Since this thread seems to be a serious one... Yeah, I'd like to second Sombra at this. I've personally met two or three peeps I helped with making their first steps, gave them a VHF and Kamome for mining&trading (yet before removing h3 mining field of Okinawa's). They sticked around for about two weeks before disappearing completely.

As a 'experienced' guides we should rather show them some interesting aspects of the server rather than pulling them into details back at start. They'll need something that will catch their attention in order to stay here for longer, be it exploration, floodtalks, accompany of another player and so on, depending on character of the person we're talking to.

Hereby, giving money at start (read - when the new guy has no stuff estabilished) misses the point. We may help them to acquire some of the special vessels (eg. caps), like I got helped by many players back when I was making my first steps.

But yeah, the overall guide for a completely new player is:

1) Mining helium in Penny until they get about 20 mil or so.

1a) Hoping to find some other people to travel by that time.

1b) Buying a bigger transporting ship - Mammoth, then Kujira - as this one is the cheapest shippeh with -big- cargo space.

2) They are to be informed of rules, ID restrictions and such.

If they made it that far to earn for a Kujira + additional 10-20m themselves, they will stay for longer. If not, well, not.

RE: If you were a new player.... - diamond1 - 05-15-2017

I'd go with advice. It's not fun when everyone get's a massive jumpstart into getting credits.

RE: If you were a new player.... - Karst - 05-15-2017

(05-15-2017, 09:37 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: The worst thing you can do is giving a newbie cash or ships or showing them the online navmap or other tools. To newbies, Discovery is actual discovery. If anything, my first advise would be to tell the player to explore the universe, find trade routes on their own and stick to minimal RP/PvP for the time being. First learn the environment, then the rules of it. The first milestones every player should make is earning themselves their first bigger ships. Mammoth, Kujira and then the first combat stuff. And only then the player should get more into RP/PvP.

I mostly agree with that, especially the online navmap I think would hugely spoil a new player's exploration experience.
The restart maps however are a great place to start, since they only really map house systems and bases and leave the frontier exploration to the player.
"Exploring" house systems primarily to log bases for trade isn't all that fun since a huge portion of time is spent simply docking and undocking, and if a new player isn't familiar isn't familiar with instadocking and undocking, it'll end up being a day-or-longer exercise in frustration just to get the "basics".