Discovery Gaming Community
How to solve bumping of big ships - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod FLHook Projects (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=266)
+----- Thread: How to solve bumping of big ships (/showthread.php?tid=150313)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How to solve bumping of big ships - sasapinjic - 05-16-2017

Idea was originally on this page :

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=138206&page=2

Big problem with BS and other large ships is bumping , not only from players but from NPC as well ( ever try fly Valor/other big boy in missions or against player BS , while enemy NPC fighters bumps in you , and turn you around from target ) , something must be done to fix this , but since i was told BS have no mass and because of that that it cant be fixed i have a suggestion :
Can it be done that snub bumping in to BS suffer 200 % of its Hit points hull damage ?
Why ?
That will fix NPC problem , all NPC fighters have no armor and will be insta-killed when bump in to you , and what about players ?
Any player ( except restart Light Fighter or newbie ) , have at least x2.1 armor , that will save them from death , and force them to use bits and make them be more careful when fly near BS , not like now casually approaching BS to 1 meter , knowing they cant be hurt and worst/best thing that can happen is to bump BS .

Example :
"Avenger" Liberty Very Heavy Fighter have a 14.000 hit points , when he bump in to a BS he will suffer 28.000 hit points of damage :
NPC "Avenger" will be killed ,
Player without armor will be killed ,
Player with armor weaker than x2.1 will be killed ,
Player with armor x2.1 will survive with some 1.000 hull left , it will use bits , and be on alert not to bump again .
Player with armor UAU VIII will survive with some 4.000 hull left , it will use bits , and be on alert not to bump again .

Also , same can be used for other classes , but with lover % of damage , for example :
snub bump in to a Cruiser = suffer 175 % of its hull damage ,
snub bump in to a Large transport = suffer 150 % of its hull damage .

For those of you that will tell this will be exploited to damage snubs , fear not , which BS have speed and maneuver capability to chase snub and intentionally bump them , and coupe of time to , since one bump is not enough to kill even LF ?

Again , this will NOT be "hit a snub with a Capitol and insta-kill it" , it will be "don't bump in to Capitol with a snub or you will loose lots of hull and be forced to use bits" !

Also , it makes sense that small craft crash in to big one should suffer large damage , isnt ?

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - Unlucky_Soul - 05-16-2017

IIRC this was in place way before. but you had caps parked on TL exits just waiting to get easy Blues

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - HanCloudstone - 05-16-2017

Who in the world goes AFK on a lane while there is at least one potential pirate or enemy in the same system?
You can quit a lane just by pressing Esc, seriously...

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - diamond1 - 05-16-2017

(05-16-2017, 09:24 AM)HanCloudstone Wrote: Who in the world goes AFK on a lane while there is at least one potential pirate or enemy in the same system?

At least once every two weeks, it happends when i'm riding around in an unlawful or lawful ship. or even semi-lawful ships.

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - sasapinjic - 05-16-2017

(05-16-2017, 08:39 AM)sasapinjic Wrote: Again , this will NOT be "hit a snub with a Capitol and insta-kill it" , it will be "don't bump in to Capitol with a snub or you will loose lots of hull and be forced to use bits" !

Even if you bump in to Capitol when exiting trade line , you will stay alive if you have any armor stonger than dirty cheep x1.9 .

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - HanCloudstone - 05-16-2017

(05-16-2017, 09:31 AM)diamond1 Wrote:
(05-16-2017, 09:24 AM)HanCloudstone Wrote: Who in the world goes AFK on a lane while there is at least one potential pirate or enemy in the same system?

At least once every two weeks, it happends when i'm riding around in an unlawful or lawful ship. or even semi-lawful ships.

Then rrrip. You don't go afk when there's a risk of being shrekt. Period.

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - Enkidu - 05-18-2017

Actually it can be fixed by massively buffing the mass fraction of Discovery large ships (yes, FL game engine simulates mass values, no, neither Vanilla or Disco use it much for various reasons). But that may have other issues.

I want to see big ships be able to ram each other and inflict damage.

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - Epo - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 11:35 AM)Tænì Wrote: Actually it can be fixed by massively buffing the mass fraction of Discovery large ships (yes, FL game engine simulates mass values, no, neither Vanilla or Disco use it much for various reasons). But that may have other issues.

Would be interesting. Yet, if that was the fix implemented on FLU to their capital ships, it caused convulsions after getting shot Big Grin It was especially visible due to lack of shields. It was kinda distracting.

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - diamond1 - 05-18-2017

(05-18-2017, 11:35 AM)Tænì Wrote: Actually it can be fixed by massively buffing the mass fraction of Discovery large ships (yes, FL game engine simulates mass values, no, neither Vanilla or Disco use it much for various reasons). But that may have other issues.

While it would be a great idea to get rid of snub npc's, it could be abused in bigger ships.

RE: How to solve bumping of big ships - HanCloudstone - 05-18-2017

It's not an abuse if it's a well-tested game mechanic.
Ramming can be made into "just another tactic", I believe.