Discovery Gaming Community
=Wingman 5.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+---- Thread: =Wingman 5.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer (/showthread.php?tid=150721)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

=Wingman 5.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Biggles - 09-15-2020

[Image: Wlowwfn.png]
Wingman v5.1

A companion for Discovery Freelancer

Jump to: Downloads | Screenshots | Code

[Image: fjTg0Y7.png] Introduction

Wingman is a powerful desktop companion application specifically crafted for Discovery Freelancer. Intended to be a modern addition to the venerable FLStat and Freelancer Companion, it seeks to bring a wealth of new features to the community.

Wingman features:
  • Navmap: a beautiful navigation aid integrating and extending @Error's Online Navmap
  • Merchant: a powerful trading assistant
  • Roster: a record of your in-game characters and their attributes
  • Database: an FLStat clone - see information about bases, ships, equipment and more
  • Augmentation of the game client, including clipboard access, named screenshots and new commands
  • Display of infocards with full rich text formatting, and TGA icons
  • Full cross-platform support, with downloads for Windows and Linux

See here for a list of new features that are currently planned. Please feel free to make your own suggestions! Wingman is intended to be community-led.

Wingman is free software, released under the GNU General Public License, version 3.0.

[Image: fjTg0Y7.png] Downloads & installation
  • Windows 7+
    For Windows the application is built as a self-contained executable:

• Linux
    Python 3.7 or higher must be installed. Assuming your Python 3.7+ executable is available as python3,

• Install/upgrade using:pip3 install wingman==5.1
    • Uninstall using:pip3 uninstall wingman

Use sudo pip3 if you want to be able to start Wingman with the command wingman.

Additional details and yet more installation options are available on GitHub. Build instructions are also included in that document. Older versions and detailed changelogs can be found here.

[Image: fjTg0Y7.png] Gallery

[Image: fjTg0Y7.png] Reporting bugs

This is a beta. There will be bugs! You can report them in two ways: opening an issue on GitHub or using the form below if you do not have an account:

Code:
[quote=Bug report]
[b]Operating system: [/b]
[b]Wingman version: [/b]
[b]Steps to reproduce: [/b]
[b]What did you expect to happen?: [/b]
[b]What happened?: [/b]
[/quote]

If the bug causes the application to crash, add wingman.log as an attachment to your post or issue. On Windows you can find this file in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\wingman.

In either case, please check that the exact bug has not been listed already in this thread or in issues to avoid duplicate reports.

If the application crashes immediately when it starts, the first thing to try is deleting wingman.cfg in the above directory. Even if this resolves the issue, please still submit a bug report explaining what led up to the crash!

Because this is a beta, it's a good idea to back up your character information in Roster periodically if you want to hold on to this information. You can do this using the Export button.

[Image: fjTg0Y7.png] Acknowledgements

Thanks to:
  • @Syrus for the original inspiration for the nucleus of this project
  • @Error for the kind use of their Online Navmap (and implementing a flag to let Wingman use it more effectively)
  • Everyone who took the time to answer my survey (yes, this really has been in development for that long), which generated many ideas that made their way into the project
This application uses the following open source projects: Python, PyQt5, PyInstaller, Nuitka, Inno Setup, Pillow, ago. Project icon made by Roundicons from www.flaticon.com.

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - ONIKS - 09-15-2020

Great piece of software. Thank you for your work and dedication, I'll use it extensively.

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Error - 09-15-2020

Excellent work, glad to see it go public! Big Grin

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - SlappyTheRoach - 09-15-2020

Sounds very interesting. Will be giving it a go when I get home from work.

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Occam Razor - 09-15-2020

Wow, and it runs natively on Linux. I love it. Thank you.

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Kauket - 09-15-2020

Loving it, absolutely adore how it counts money per character too!

Only issue is, I can't load maps Sad

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/432980094546477056/755556277974859826/unknown.png

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Misfit - 09-16-2020

Did someone say Linux?

*continues reading*

Ah, Python.

Anyway installing via pip failed so I built it on Fedora 32.

After following the instructions under build/packaging which required me to install python3-qt5-devel (through DNF), I installed PyQtWebEngine, Image, and had to uninstall and reinstall Pillow all through pip to get wingman running and now it works. Hope this helps.

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - SnakThree - 09-16-2020

[Image: NbrXij8.png]

Hmph?

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Switchback - 09-16-2020

Brought this up in Discord, but posting here as well.

While this is super cool and I look forward to using it, you probably need some Dev/GM approval that this software won't do anything nefarious. I'm no python coder, so I don't really know what I'm looking at but at first glance at least it doesn't appear to be calling home or doing anything nefarious.

That said, this concerns me a little:
Quote:On Windows, administrative privileges are required to read the process memory of, and inject keyboard input into, Freelancer, so the application will ask for them before launching. I hope to improve this experience in future by restarting when features requiring these permissions are turned on.

Given it adds interaction to FL itself, might want some Dev greenlighting. Just my 2c.

RE: =Wingman 0.1= A companion for Discovery Freelancer - Kazinsal - 09-16-2020

(09-16-2020, 05:41 AM)SnakThree Wrote: [Image: NbrXij8.png]

Hmph?

Avira HEUR/APC Cloud is a horrible machine learning algorithm to try to figure out if never-before-seen software is a virus.

Emphasis on horrible.