Discovery Gaming Community
Blame the Admins - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Blame the Admins (/showthread.php?tid=151979)

Pages: 1 2 3

Blame the Admins - Snoflek - 07-19-2017

Yes this thread applies to Devs too.

That seems to be a common theme going around, and not just lately.

And it's really not Okay.

Whatever your personal reasoning may be, you need to step back and think a moment. People aren't perfect, and Admins are people just like you. We all make mistakes. Something to keep in mind, is that Admins are not professionals. They are people with an intense passion for the Discovery Project, doing their best to keep Discovery alive and well.

Sometimes feelings get in the way, sometimes things are misunderstood, from both sides of a situation. But you need to stop antagonizing them. Attacking Admins in thread after thread isn't going to get you anywhere. All it does it freed more animosity between the Players and the Admin/Dev Group.

This game only functions do a balance between the DevMins and the Players. And that's a balance we all need to work to maintain. Honestly, how can you expect the Admins to continue enthusiastically supporting the project, when anything they say gets torn apart by the masses, any change they try and implement is hounded like the last funnel cake at a Faire.

I'm no Sterling player, and I've had my disagreements with Admin decisions in the past. That doesn't justify the antipathy displayed toward them on numerous cases though.

Quote: 0.0Consider the people around you. Keep fair play in mind. It's a game and nothing is gained, or lost, save the experience. Credits can be re-earned. Ammunition replenished. If you become infuriated step away. If you make a mistake apologize. If you wish to find a loophole in the rules, good luck.

This community lives and dies with you, the Players. Because that's all the Admins are, Players, supports of the community that are giving up their free time to try and improve your quality of life, to provide you more opportunities to have fun, and get rid of any troubles you might encounter.

So Remember Rule Zero. Be Excellent to Each Other.

Edit: Do you really want to drive away the people investing their time, and in several cases, Money into the server's future and wellbeing? Is a single petty victory worth the loss of a game we all love and hold dear?

RE: Blame the Admins - Stoner_Steve - 07-19-2017

Good lord is it that time of the year already

RE: Blame the Admins - Korny - 07-19-2017

Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you?

RE: Blame the Admins - Snoflek - 07-19-2017

I would remind those intending to post in the thread this is a General Discussions thread, not a Flood Thread.

RE: Blame the Admins - Freeport7 - 07-19-2017

I agree and support snoflek!

RE: Blame the Admins - Vendetta - 07-19-2017

Lmao. No comment.

RE: Blame the Admins - Epo - 07-19-2017

You raised some valid points, but Disco's community is not mature enough to fully understand this.

Otherwise, I fully support this thread.

RE: Blame the Admins - DannyDelicious - 07-19-2017

When you're in a position of power you need to act professionally and be a little more respectful. I honestly think if the staff team have had enough and it seems that there's animosity then it's time for a switch up.

RE: Blame the Admins - Goliath - 07-19-2017

This was just...wow.

Dude, your words are gold. You have my support.

RE: Blame the Admins - Antonio - 07-19-2017

I'd like to see the examples you're making this thread out of. There's a fine line between harassment and criticism. If this thread is about the former, I agree wholeheartedly. Going out of your way to harass, bully, annoy or provoke people is bad sport. This applies to everyone, not just the admins. If your thread is about the latter, I strongly disagree.

Criticism is always needed, especially criticism towards the staff members. If you're doing something wrong and nobody's telling you, you'll just keep repeating the same mistake(s) over and over again. Wouldn't you like to know why? That why is called criticism. The main reason why there's so much criticism towards the admin team is because they, despite the criticism received, keep doing the same mistakes. Community keeps pointing out those mistakes, asking for them to improve, but 90% of it goes in one ear and out the other and eventually it looks like members are being "repetitive", "annoying", etc. while their intentions are the opposite.

That's why it's so frustrating when someone watching at the sidelines, completely unaware of a situation, comes in and starts defending the admins with lines such as "Admins do great job here! How dare you criticise them!? Stop posting the same thing all the time, they get it!" The community is full of spineless yes men who're just there for the +1 and nothing else. Want an example? Look at how many people "supported" the heavy decision by just saying "Good job admins! I believe in you and your decision, your judgment is amazing! Screw those who think you're wrong, keep doing a good job at keeping this ancient place alive!" without ever going into depth, questioning the decision or anything alike. It's woeful to believe an event with such high magnitude would be mostly tainted by posts such as those. Hell, even when the dev strike happened people were doing the exact same thing: "Who do you think you are, devs? How dare you? The admins are right, they're always right, without them this place wouldn't exist!" still not willing to look at the situation. And this was just an example, there are many more with the same outcome, albeit less extreme.

Ever since @Garrett Jax left in ~april last year, the admin team has been terrible. It's better now than it was during the heavy decision (can it be any worse than that?), but it's still far from ideal. Why? Many reasons. Unnecessary rule changes, heavy decision, introduction and then removal of rule 1.0 for the heavy decision without prior notice, high inactivity, poor feedback management, extremely long processing time for player or faction requests (ex. It took 9 months to process my facton request for 3 tech cell changes), absolutely terrible sanction processing (there are so many to pick, but here are a few: 1, 2, 3, 4), biased, power-abusing, rule-breaking, pretending-to-be-a-new-player-and-ask-questions-about-the-admin-team admins. The list goes on. And you wonder why?

Of course people will express their unhapiness, especially towards the admin team who's supposed to uphold a higher standard. This goes for devs as well, although they can't be blamed for too much other than laziness and bias, both of which are nothing compared to everything listed above. I can personally say when I was a balance dev that I got a lot of criticism for some of the stuff. However, my approach to review them, talk to the people and fix them resulted in much healthier balance updates overall. It's really not that hard, you just have to give a damn.

As for the "admins have real lives" and "they don't get payed for it", I strongly disagree with that attitude. All of us have real life to worry about and none of us get payed for playing the game. Admins are no different than you, me, devs, mods or a new player who just joined. The difference is, they -chose- to be admins, nobody forced them. By accepting to be one they're expected to show a certain, higher level of responsibility, activity and behavior compared to the regular member. Of course that has been nothing but a joke for the last year, but we can hope. This thread could be re-created right now with different examples and the points of the post would still be valid today. If anything, -that-'s concerning.