Discovery Gaming Community
Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] (/showthread.php?tid=151981)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Arioch - 07-19-2017

Damn. Though I like that image above Xalrok! That's pretty much how I envision capitol/industrialized planets to look like. Sprawling urban centers on land.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Sombs - 07-19-2017

Couldn't that be simulated by placing a second invisible hitboxless planet inside the planet? So Manhattan would have the planet and city layer and the invisible planet would have the cloud layer? Wouldn't fix the lighting issues, although I believe you can make the lighting of the city layer weak enough to only have the dark side glow. Like, when you use EC on ship models, you can make that.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Croft - 07-19-2017

Looks sweet, though for the cities appearance would a texture with shades of grey on the land be enough or would it look like an MS paint job?

And Danny I'm fairly certain Durandal meant ship engines.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Korny - 07-19-2017

I like.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Durandal - 07-19-2017

(07-19-2017, 06:53 PM)Croft Wrote: Looks sweet, though for the cities appearance would a texture with shades of grey on the land be enough or would it look like an MS paint job?

And Danny I'm fairly certain Durandal meant ship engines.

Uh, no, I'm talking about new game engines. One based on UE4 (PSF), and the other reverse engineered (Librelancer).

(07-19-2017, 06:51 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Couldn't that be simulated by placing a second invisible hitboxless planet inside the planet? So Manhattan would have the planet and city layer and the invisible planet would have the cloud layer? Wouldn't fix the lighting issues, although I believe you can make the lighting of the city layer weak enough to only have the dark side glow. Like, when you use EC on ship models, you can make that.

Yes, detailmaps could technically be faked that way but its a lot of work for a little gain.

Glowmaps - depends on the system's ambient lighting. What works for Manhattan in New York would not work for a much darker system using the same planet archetype for example.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - DannyDelicious - 07-20-2017

Unreal was never designed to work as an MMO platform, Star Citizen are using it but have actual Unreal Developers at hand and a huge budget.

I highly doubt it'll be anything more than a pet project. It'd actually be a much better idea to clone the mechanics but have your own content added to it so that you can actually make some money off it.

I did look up the clones and yes while they're good as one man projects. I don't think you can place all your bets on people wanting to shift all their assets into something that only replicates, and doesn't try to be it's own thing. It's a great pet project but freelancer was developed by a studio. And I believe by the time it's actually polished and functioning, Star Citizen will be out.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Corile - 07-20-2017

Quote:And I believe by the time it's actually polished and functioning, Star Citizen will be out.

I'm pretty sure this entire "star citizen will replace freelancer" is just a meme. SC is managed by Roberts which should be enough for people to realise that it's gonna be a bad game.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Durandal - 07-20-2017

Let's try to stay on topic.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - DannyDelicious - 07-20-2017

I'm not saying it'll be a good game. I'm just saying it'll be a full game.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Durandal - 07-20-2017

Let's try to stay on topic.