Discovery Gaming Community
Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] (/showthread.php?tid=151981)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Sarawr!? - 07-20-2017

I have no problem with upgrades done as long as they only try to upgrade, not totally change, an original asset.

So yeah, me likey.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Reeves - 07-20-2017

Gimme.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Alley - 07-20-2017

(07-20-2017, 12:14 AM)DannyD Wrote: Unreal was never designed to work as an MMO platform, Star Citizen are using it but have actual Unreal Developers at hand and a huge budget.

I highly doubt it'll be anything more than a pet project. It'd actually be a much better idea to clone the mechanics but have your own content added to it so that you can actually make some money off it.

I did look up the clones and yes while they're good as one man projects. I don't think you can place all your bets on people wanting to shift all their assets into something that only replicates, and doesn't try to be it's own thing. It's a great pet project but freelancer was developed by a studio. And I believe by the time it's actually polished and functioning, Star Citizen will be out.

It's really hard to read this post seriously when you can't even get SC's engine right.
It's a cryengine fork, which is a hundred times worse than UE in regards to anything.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Durandal - 07-20-2017

(07-20-2017, 06:56 AM)Alley Wrote:
(07-20-2017, 12:14 AM)DannyD Wrote: Unreal was never designed to work as an MMO platform, Star Citizen are using it but have actual Unreal Developers at hand and a huge budget.

I highly doubt it'll be anything more than a pet project. It'd actually be a much better idea to clone the mechanics but have your own content added to it so that you can actually make some money off it.

I did look up the clones and yes while they're good as one man projects. I don't think you can place all your bets on people wanting to shift all their assets into something that only replicates, and doesn't try to be it's own thing. It's a great pet project but freelancer was developed by a studio. And I believe by the time it's actually polished and functioning, Star Citizen will be out.

It's really hard to read this post seriously when you can't even get SC's engine right.
It's a cryengine fork, which is a hundred times worse than UE in regards to anything.

*Slaps*

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Banned player t202085 - 07-20-2017

Voted Yay, looks more realistic I'm surprised by the amount of haids this thread has received

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Toris (Old Account) - 07-20-2017

Nay, unless it won't harm the framerate. Not all people play on PCs above average and while we should remember that Freelancer runs without issues, the Discovery has a lot of other features that can influence the framerate.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - DragonRider - 07-20-2017

I don't see how the extra few megs the planet adds can lower the frame rate even on low end rigs.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Omicron - 07-20-2017

Graphical upgrades are flimmicky things to me in any video game I modded so far. I for example found Neo Terra's 3d suns as uglier than vanilia (save the red giant).

I am fine with implementation so long they abide vanilia's style, palette and fit into the background and itself be good background to smaller pieces around. These pics are not of enough resolution for my own liking to decide and I would rather want to fly about and see it from different angles and ranges as to how it holds itself up to rest of disco before I would make a judgement. If it sure looks like something we could find in FL and not look out of the place I approve. I sincerely doubt a mere texture swap would affect framerate on anything but most ancient kartoffels. Though, the few planets incorporated into disco already by Xalrok and Dura are damn good.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - Xalrok - 07-20-2017

Updated the album with the bumpmapped version and images of New London which uses the same planet type.

(07-20-2017, 03:30 PM)Toris Wrote: Nay, unless it won't harm the framerate. Not all people play on PCs above average and while we should remember that Freelancer runs without issues, the Discovery has a lot of other features that can influence the framerate.

(07-19-2017, 11:34 AM)Xalrok Wrote: For those wondering about performance impact, the textures these planets use will be made to the same specifications as those used by Planet Tuvalu and Nauru in Delta.

The new Manhattan texture file is 8MB in size, the same as Tuvalu (Nauru is actually 12MB.) If they don't cause you performance problems then neither will this.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Manhattan] - James Greed - 07-20-2017

Looks pretty sweet to me. I'd dig it.