Discovery Gaming Community
We need YOU. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: We need YOU. (/showthread.php?tid=152684)

Pages: 1 2

We need YOU. - Avalanche - 08-10-2017

Edit: WOW guys and girls! In only an hour we have hit $100 in our community Patreon! That is insane! Thank you all so so much to those who have donated so far!

I don't run the Patreon and ultimately what happens will be down to the Admins.

Hey everyone.

The aim of this thread is to:

1) To discuss ways of improving our Patreon page to get more donators.
2) Spread awareness of our Patreon.

The forum + game server costs $80 a month to host.

Our DiscoveryGC Patreon is generating $61 a month.

This leaves a gap of $19 a month that our Admins must find.

---

1st Problem: There is only one reward option and that is $1 a month. You get added to a list of donators on the forum.

Why is this a problem? People do not give money for something they can get for free.

A solution: We need to give people something in return for donating. Lets increase the number of rewards available. The following is an initial idea.

Quote:$1 a month - You are AWESOME!
You are helping us make Discovery the best damn mod! You guys and gals are our heroes! Thank you! You get the following reward:
- A special PATREON title above your forum avatar.
- Access to our Patreon Discord group.

$5 a month - Check out your new toy!
As well as everything above you also get the following rewards:
- A new random gunboat will be dropped in an account of your choice every month.
- - It will only be playable in Connecticut. It can not be sold, transfered to another account or leave Connecticut.
- - - It will disapear the following month and a new random gunboat will take its place.

$10 a month - Want more firepower?!
- Gunboats aren't enough for you?! As well as a Gunboat, you also get a random Destroyer, Cruiser or Battlecruiser!

$15 a month - Screw Steam! Discovery is life!
- You need even more firepower?! As well as a Gunboat and Cruiser, you also get a random Battleship or Carrier!

$20 a month - We can not thank you enough!
We don't even know what to say to this. You must love this place! As well as everything above you also get the following rewards:
- Your name (or forum name) will be listed in the welcoming message when people log on the server as a Discovery Mod Major Supporter

I know some people will be thinking "That's Play-To-Win". It isn't. If we can make the ships unable to be exhchanged for ingame items and unable to leave Connecticut, there is no problem. Let them have their fun in Connecticut - they are paying for your Sirius Sector.

Additionally I know those rewards may not be perfect. First draft. Please suggest your improvements!

---

2nd Problem: The Patreon page has a poor description. No video.

Why is this a problem? It doesn't engage the viewer. You don't feel like clicking that all important contribute button. You don't feel a lack of money is really a problem for the community.

A solution: We need the Patreon to tell the viewer what their money will go towards. Let them understand what they are helping exactly. Get them emotionally attached to the problem and make them aware just how awesome this community and game is.

It needs a new description to get the reader excited and more involved such as:

Quote:"The server is hosted in Paris, France. The forum user who is responsible for all of this is X. A huge thank you to him/her! As you know Discovery has been going strong for over 10 years now. Even with all the money we have pirated off eachother, we must ask for some real cash from you now to help keep this amazing community going. Please do be generous. No money will go to any individual admin or staff. Any monthly surplus cash will roll on towards the next month. Every dollar helps and thank you for checking out our Patreon!

If you haven't already make sure you join our Discord group which you can find at https://discordapp.com/invite/fSg4wkK.

Good luck out there pilot!"

It also needs a youtube video such as this Discovery Freelancer 4.85 Reunion Pre-Release Trailer. The video will allow the reader to reminisce on how awesome the mod is and this will get them emotionally attached to the problem.

---

The above will vastly help our Patreon. It will attract more donators if it is given proper attention.

"What happens if more than $80 a month is donated?"

The best thing to do would be to solve our next community problem - Player population.

Any money left over should be used to pay Youtube, Twitch and Instagram gaming channels to advertise Freelancer and Discovery.

It isn't hard to download the Freelancer Vanilla torrent and to download the mod. It would be good if we had a Youtube instruction video for newcomers to watch.

RE: We need YOU. - Freeroamer - 08-10-2017

-snip-

RE: We need YOU. - crowblade - 08-10-2017

I wouldn't call it "pay a month"

People hesitate when something makes the impression of having to be paid monthly.

I would just say, "pay $4.99 to get a gunboat for a whole month" or something like that.
If they like it, they will pay again.

Apart from that, the reward is still pretty shit if we're honest. What point does it have for me to fly around with a cool ship only in connecticut. Someone may do this once, and then it's boring.

Idk can the devs make special skins for ships? Like some cool designed black ship or something or is that not that easy?
People love paying for skins Big Grin
Or cool flashy lights on your ship. We had this even in vanilla freelancer back in the days.

You know, something that stays and actually is useful all over Sirius. Because the people who are dedicated to play this game/mod usually are not toying around in connecticut, am I right?

Is there a possibility to make a donation/payment from ingame? Like redirect onto a webpage like the patreon?

RE: We need YOU. - Avalanche - 08-10-2017

(08-10-2017, 08:03 PM)crowblade Wrote: ...

That is actually something I forgot to add which I wanted to.

In the description and reward tiers it is best to mention that if someone wants to make a one off payment (not monthly) then they can do it via Patreon, only they need to cancel after they have paid for their first month.

Secondly, skins aren't a thing unfortunately. Lights are already however.

RE: We need YOU. - Sesom - 08-10-2017

Greetings, I got an Idea, how you can create an worth, to give to those unselfish donators of 1 dolar Smile
instead of writing their name somewhere (what makes it odd for me to give something for I don't want anyone to know that I gaved something, (if everyone knows, I got my pay allready),
you could just do what every online game does that doesn't want to be pay-to-win.

"Give skins!" But instead of skins: (better better better!!!!) give them different coloured engines. They could enjoy them every time when they fly their ship, they could realy enjoy them every time, they could just Cruise and enjoy. (Spa and Cruise haha) You love Gold, take Gold, you love Purple, take purple, you love Green? Blue? Yellow? ha, yes!

Maybe you could give them via admin to the playerships, I don't know? Or just make a special station in Conn, that sells them, or something like that, I don't know.
But i think that would be a fair and realy enjoyable thing for all donators.
By the way, I realy enjoy /pimpship coloured lights, my Gold Gold ships. You guys did some awesome work. now prepare, let the Samurai take over Kusari again!!!

RE: We need YOU. - Altejago - 08-10-2017

Is that amount in Euro or USD?

(08-10-2017, 08:18 PM)Altejago Wrote: Is that amount in Euro or USD?

USD I am sure. At least that is what the Patreon account owner set it at.

RE: We need YOU. - Altejago - 08-10-2017

Can we find out? It matters as to whether or not I contribute $40 or $30 NZD

RE: We need YOU. - Black Widow - 08-10-2017

I think if the admins did a little bit more for us for e.g. getting this up and running: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=151645

I / We would be more than happy to donate, its all about give and take right!?

I know the admins do a lot already but those little things count as they help with the progress of our ingame experiences/plans.

In short Discovery needs its members and members need discovery, if things weren't delayed so much. Contributions would be more forth-coming.

(08-10-2017, 08:27 PM)Altejago Wrote: Can we find out? It matters as to whether or not I contribute $40 or $30 NZD

Hello Altejago. Wow! That is insane! In answer to your question, I found from this thread

(06-17-2017, 02:37 PM)Skorak Wrote: ...

We are currently planning that we'll need 20€(~22.30$ / ~17.50£) per month for the forums and about 50€(~55.90$ / ~43.80£) for the game server. On top of that we will have to pay a 60€(~67.00$ / ~52.50£) setup fee.

So we'd need at least 120€(~134.10$ / ~105.-£) for the first month. After that it will be the planned 70€(~78.20$ / ~61.25£)

So It's 70 EURO, 78.2 USD (so 80 USD)

Smile