Discovery Gaming Community
BS Scanner? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: BS Scanner? (/showthread.php?tid=153756)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: BS Scanner? - Binski - 09-20-2017

100% agreed with Tut on this. 'Basically', people that choose to mostly fly caps got sour and thought they were losing battles or missing out on catching someone in a chase because their opponent (in a non cap) might also have a BS scanner.

For anyone who ever uses the argument 'it says Battleship duh' is just cherry picking on technicalities to benefit themselves. These people believe that capital ships should automatically get the best in scanning range. Remember when you make this argument, that the difference on max range compared to the 'adv deep scanner' is only 2km longer, and 4km longer for cargo scanning. Why are these numbers oh so impossible for other ships like tranports and gunboats to pull off? If you want to fix the problem with caps, give them all CD's and increase their sublight speeds. Caps are useless for patrolling against smugglers or blockading traders and are only useful against other caps...and that has nothing to do with having the best scanner. You can't fix terrible speed and maneuverability with a scanner monopoly.

Originally anyone could mount the scanner on anything, and you could even your own odds by earning and buying your own scanner. Whiners ruined it, and they axed it, but that part of the plugin caused problems it was ironically found. They were allowed for so long it should never have been allowed to just yank them ever. Sometimes you are better off just leaving something alone when its not really causing harm. No, it wasn't.

Now its back, with no input from the community beforehand at all and it was just forced upon a huge amount of players that found themselves having to scramble to even make back some of their credits/time just to suit cap players and make it super easy for them to have the best scanning range. The loss in credits sucks but losing the scanner edge is the worst part. You shouldn't need to SRP just for a top of the line scanner to put on your best ship, regardless of what class it is.

There should be another intermediate scanner but no one in charge will admit it or even admit to considering the idea! Every time you start a new ship that you will do a lot of heavy action and/or RP with everyone would always spend the extra 250 mil on a BS scanner for it. Having that money sink scanner available for almost every ship class was/is important to the disco economy. Capitals have to be the least used ship in ratio to all others (being a minority compared to all other classes, you'll never convince me most players mostly fly caps over other ships) so when you cut that option out, you remove a major investment from 80% of used characters. Just about any ship except snubs should be able to use the battleship scanner, especially with the current range numbers it has.

RE: BS Scanner? - Karst - 09-20-2017

The reasoning for this is simple.

Battleships have the lowest mobility and utility, so it makes sense for them to have the best scanners.

And, although I know you said this argument didn't count, battleship scanners belong on battleships.
When ship-based technerf was removed, nobody said "hey, now would be a great time to get BS scanners for all your snubs!".
Considering the BS scanner was just a straight upgrade over the equally expensive Spyglass, it would have been reasonable to expect that the restriction was intended to return.

The Spyglass already exists as a fancy, expensive option for other ship classes, and as I said we'll introduce another variant if you aren't happy with that.
So you can't claim that you need an SRP (?) for the fanciest in scanning options. The Spyglass is also getting a small buff to make it a little more worthwhile.

Nobody here is "favoring" battleship pilots, there are options for everyone, the Battleship Scanner just isn't one and was never intended to be.

RE: BS Scanner? - Tutashkhia - 09-20-2017

I can't understand from this community only @"TheUnforgiven" managed to understand my point, and the rest of the Community just wants themselves to believe the powerful phrase "It's called Battleship Scanner, so it's meant to be used only on Battleships"?

Quote:Basically, Battleship Scanners were always meant to be mountable only on Battleships and Battlecruisers.
Yes, I've been hearing that phrase for a decade already, and good job, it took just a decade for you, to make it true in the end. I don't know, if it didn't cause any harm during the last decade, why was it so important and urgent to make it now? Don't we have some other serious problems, or this was the last thing which needed to be changed?

Quote:Sometimes you are better off just leaving something alone when its not really causing harm.

Great words.

Quote:Battleships have the lowest mobility and utility, so it makes sense for them to have the best scanners.
Please, could anyone, explain me how this sense improves the gameplay, and just the essence of this game? So, for years, this all was senseless, but to be honest, if we compare the gameplay today, and the gameplay some months ago, it's totally the same. Nothing improves in the battles, nothing improves in the piracy, trading, patrolling and just playing. Nothing. So I will still call this change a waste of time and a senseless change, as it has not improved anything. It gave a sense that the Battleship Scanner is meant to be used only on Battleships, but come on, you, yourself, know it quite good, that it's really a weak argument.

P.S The battleship scanner isn't the only one, and has never been the only one, right. But, not everyone was using it, and not everyone even bothered paying money for it. Some people just liked having it mounted on their ship, and some just used it for other reasons.

And, people, community, Admins, Devs, and everyone, have you ever asked yourselves what's the biggest problem of this game? Ask this yourselves and let's all try to improve it, together. If we did so, trust me it would take another decade for use to come to the last little problematic situation, that the scanner is called Battleship Scanner and is used on Gunboats and Cruisers too.

RE: BS Scanner? - SnakThree - 09-20-2017

You have your opinions and others have their opinions. Disagreeing on it doesn't mean we don't understand it. Just because you don't agree to reasons why this change ( or rather reverting the change ) was done does not mean staff was wrong.

Get over yourself. Disco doesn't spin around you. (Advice from player who had this phase in the past)

RE: BS Scanner? - Impyness - 09-20-2017

Honestly given that with the old technerf system regular cruisers could use these at 90% I think it'd probably go a long way towards making people less upset if the scanner itself was renamed to Capital ship scanner or another more generic term and given to cruisers. That way the scanner itself has more of a use so people might not be as upset about having scanners they cant use. I dont think that would be terribly unbalanced either.

Also if the Spyglass is supposed to be the step up it should probably be rewritten to be more generic, or another variant added that isn't as lore restricted.

(09-20-2017, 03:48 PM)Impyness Wrote: Also if the Spyglass is supposed to be the step up it should probably be rewritten to be more generic, or another variant added that isn't as lore restricted.

It isn't restricted. Just for some reason staff decided to sell it on "hidden" LH Guard Station

RE: BS Scanner? - Impyness - 09-20-2017

Spyglass Scanner was developed by Liberty engineers for military recon purposes. Now it serves Lane Hackers in their search for valuable goods passing through Independent Worlds.

This is the current infocard i'm pretty sure. Would not be weird at all to see GRN or RM flying around with this. Nope.

(09-20-2017, 03:51 PM)Impyness Wrote: Spyglass Scanner was developed by Liberty engineers for military recon purposes. Now it serves Lane Hackers in their search for valuable goods passing through Independent Worlds.

This is the current infocard i'm pretty sure. Would not be weird at all to see GRN or RM flying around with this. Nope.

I plan to put in on my Ageira Bison

RE: BS Scanner? - Tutashkhia - 09-20-2017

I get this. That's why I posted this in the Discussion section, I could just PM this to one of the player or the Admin, who could tell me "once it's called Battleship Scanner, it must be used only on Battleships", instead I posted it here, to discuss with those who came up with this idea. I have my opinion, the author of this idea had/has his/her opinion, we're discussing and so far I've not seen a strong argument which could defend this opinion, instead, I hear the same, in every post. The idea of the discussion is giving arguments, defending your opinion. Discussions lead us to the right opinions and to the right actions.

I posted this thread, because I was really wondered and thought there was something interesting and useful behind this change, but I found out nothing.

To be honest, I played a quite often without this Scanner on my ship, and wonderful, having this scanner on the ship neither improved my skills and abilities, nor decreased. It's not the last day of my life logging in and having no BS Scanner on my ship, it doesn't affect my gameplay, but I see no sense neither in this change, nor in these arguments.

RE: BS Scanner? - Wesker - 09-20-2017

(09-20-2017, 03:51 PM)Impyness Wrote: Spyglass Scanner was developed by Liberty engineers for military recon purposes. Now it serves Lane Hackers in their search for valuable goods passing through Independent Worlds.

I have one on my hessian srp (: