Discovery Gaming Community
To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. (/showthread.php?tid=154190)

Pages: 1 2 3

To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Quantum~Flux - 10-07-2017

So now that I've finally gotten around to making a forum account, I can get a consensus on a question that has plagued me for awhile. Living in America, so far from the server, compounded by the fact that I live in a rural area and my ISP is crap, my ping is fairly high. On the server selection screen, it's normally around 134. However, once I log in and the game is running, it typically shoots up to between 180 - 200, with occasionally higher spikes. My question is, is this to high to even bother trying to "git gud" at PvP? I have had my share of fights out in the RP environment. Won some, lost more. Usually I'm focusing more on the interaction than anything and checking the opposing players ping rarely occurs to me. But when I do, most people I check are significantly lower. In fact, just checking the readings on the player status screen reveals that I"m typically one of the higher ones (excluding those that are 400+). So the question is: How much ping is too much? Can I be competitive against those with significantly lower ping, or should I just stick to non-PvP activities?

RE: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Sand_Spider - 10-07-2017

Back when I used to play Freelancer during most of my free time, I was also living with a regular ping of about 180-220. I had Comcast as my ISP, and I did quite fine in fighter PvP. I think though that a lower quality ISP could also cause some lag on top of the ping, which would be a problem. Have you considered flying a light gunship and using it more like a giant fighter? That sometimes works for some people with ping connectivity issues.

RE: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Quantum~Flux - 10-07-2017

(10-07-2017, 08:09 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: Have you considered flying a light gunship and using it more like a giant fighter?

Indeed I have. In fact, during my time here, I've tested out just about every ship. I'm capable of turret steering and such, but I prefer the snub combat. That's why the ping question is the issue.

RE: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Backo - 10-07-2017

I'd say it doesn't harm to try snub pvp. We have @Wesker who is around 120 and is one of the top dogs in snub pvp. I think @Durandal was around 140-150 and he was also good. As long as you don't have fluct or loss you'd probably be able to get into snub pvp even if you'd be obviously a bit disadvantaged by the high ping. Smile

RE: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Sand_Spider - 10-07-2017

(10-07-2017, 08:34 PM)Quantum~Flux Wrote: Indeed I have. In fact, during my time here, I've tested out just about every ship. I'm capable of turret steering and such, but I prefer the snub combat. That's why the ping question is the issue.

*Nod* I can understand that, I've usually stuck to snubs as well. I haven't tried this guide myself, but @"FMIKE" posted some tips and tricks to reduce lag. I would definitely recommend having only Freelancer up and running, plus your chat service of choice (skype, discord, other) so as not to strain the network connection. Reducing your projectile particle graphics might help a little bit, especially in group fights.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.. I hope that helps.

(10-07-2017, 08:46 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote:
(10-07-2017, 08:34 PM)Quantum~Flux Wrote: Indeed I have. In fact, during my time here, I've tested out just about every ship. I'm capable of turret steering and such, but I prefer the snub combat. That's why the ping question is the issue.

*Nod* I can understand that, I've usually stuck to snubs as well. I haven't tried this guide myself, but @"FMIKE" posted some tips and tricks to reduce lag. I would definitely recommend having only Freelancer up and running, plus your chat service of choice (skype, discord, other) so as not to strain the network connection. Reducing your projectile particle graphics might help a little bit, especially in group fights.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.. I hope that helps.

Yep, already found that guide. Made all of the recommended adjustments that are available to me and I only use Skype on my phone whilst playing. So my ping is probably about as good as it will be.

I do appreciate the suggestions though. (sun)

(10-07-2017, 08:40 PM)Backo Wrote: I'd say it doesn't harm to try snub pvp. We have @Wesker who is around 120 and is one of the top dogs in snub pvp. I think @Durandal was around 140-150 and he was also good. As long as you don't have fluct or loss you'd probably be able to get into snub pvp even if you'd be obviously a bit disadvantaged by the high ping. Smile

Well, that IS encouraging at least. As far as lag ,loss and fluctuation go, 99% of the time they are at 0%, so I'm good there. Perhaps there is hope!

RE: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Wesker - 10-07-2017

Ping doesnt influence dodging, movement, as long as its as low as possible.
From my experience ping does effect aim though, slightly. Nothing unmanageable, since obviously im as good as i am.

RE: To PvP, or not to PvP? My ping is the question. - Thunderer - 10-07-2017

200 ping is quite okay if you want to fly the bigger ships, even ~5-ish% lag is, but you won't be one of the top dogs with fighters. You can still be decent, though.

(10-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Wesker Wrote: Ping doesnt influence dodging, movement, as long as its as low as possible.
From my experience ping does effect aim though, slightly. Nothing unmanageable, since obviously im as good as i am.

Good to know. I'm sure everyone knows how good you are at PvP (I think), so this is encouraging. That's a vote for "git gud". Wink