Discovery Gaming Community
Make Piracy Great Again - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Make Piracy Great Again (/showthread.php?tid=154315)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Make Piracy Great Again - Catbert - 10-13-2017

I don't see anything wrong with that idea. After all, if it gets people some incentive to log their unlawfuls more often, it might benefit activity as a whole. There're a couple of things to consider:

1. This should be less profitable than normal trading (but I believe that's what you're going for anyway). Otherwise there'd be even fewer players trading. Why bother buying a transport if you can actually use a cheaper fighter for farming?

2. The convoys shouldn't be disruptive to PvP that may be going on in the area (think 4.85-Gallia-disruptive, with NPC bombers that had SNACs). That could be averted by spawning these convoys in the not-so-frequently visited systems (more incentive to visit those systems, yay!)

In general, PvE options other than events and top-tier NPC missions against caps could be nice. Then again, I haven't done too much in game for a while, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

RE: Make Piracy Great Again - Vulkhard Muller - 10-13-2017

Counter Arguement

Problem with NPC piracy is that is increases solo play which, while good at low hours, is bad for interaction (trust me I remember the Bethlehem incident too well)

The Problem

The way I see it is Piracy is still possible it is just a lot of traders fall into 4 categories
1 "Kill me its Cheaper" (With my experience this is a dying breed unless they are a transport with base supplies)
2 *Silently continues towards Gate/Lane/base*
3 *instantly shoots you not allowing for a demand*
4 Cau 6-8 Transport that is painful-unrealistic to kill.

Now If you are like me if I am pirating and do have to kill the transport I want to have the hold to carry off the goods which is why Transport Piracy is what I generally do. However The Cau 8 transports just don't take enough damage, and end up making it to dock. It seems the Transports designed for Piracy ( CorsairPtrans/Ptrans/Taurau*) don't have enough "Umph".

* With the addition of a forward heavy slot on both the Ptrans and the Taurau they do a bit more damage but my point still stands

My Solution

The way I see it the best fix is to add more transport gunboat hybrids similar to the Wrecker/Salvager. a Civilian Mining frigate similar to the Salvager with much less cargo ( See Rock Badger) and the ability to mount a CD and a Few Gunboat turrets could help.

Another idea courtesy of @Karst is to give the Hege a CD.(Disclaimer: This concludes Karst's Opinion)
The Hege is all but useless now, a lost cause as a miner, outclassed by freighters and outpaced in its own class by the Rock Badger. Perhaps it can find new life as a piracy vessel its big fairly quick for its size and fairly powerful. 8 Turrets forward. If it was given maybe 2-4 of those as heavy transport turret slots it could be an incredibly nasty ship. Alternatively give the CorsairPtrans/Ptrans/Taurau a full load out of Heavy Slots and make it the new poor mans gunboat.

These are simply my ideas. Maybe I am wrong maybe I am right. *shrugs* Either way I will continue to have fun!

RE: Make Piracy Great Again - WesternPeregrine - 10-13-2017

I believe a first thing we should try as a test would be to remove the ">30 players = no npcs" server restrictions, and see if that attracts more passive players or not. More players fumbling around npcs can mean more transports for police to inspect, more players for pirates to stumble upon, and more need for smugglers to take that loot to where it counts.

-------

That aside though, it would be good to find some ideas to improve quality and frequency of player piracy.

RE: Make Piracy Great Again - Curios - 10-13-2017

Well, basically that can be balanced one way or another but point stands - to make some improvements to some routines that can be attended by players without checking the player list all the time just to find that nothing happens around their zone of interest.

For example - your'r a Molly players and one day you think like "well, I want to play the game - time to check what's up". And you just can find that it's nothing up around the Dublin + arounds. Logging in just to go and attack certain players and then log off gives little to no actual activity. If there are any other ideas - well, share please, extra ideas do never harm. But it should be simple ones - the overcomplicated things just make people not to bother rather then actually taking part, especially for the beginners. Take a look at POBs, I always said that the core idea of having a mechanics to build destructible objects in game is good but it's like 10% of players who actually were trying this I believe - it's too complicated and someone who just log at evening after a working day to relax would most likely ignore that possibility all along.