Discovery Gaming Community
Family - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Family (/showthread.php?tid=15446)

Family - Kurt_Manning - 01-17-2009

This is a short story, that is in no way completed. It is based on Kurt Mannings early years, If anyone wishes to learn about his later years he features in a few of Marcus.Scarman storys. If anyone has any feedback please let me know as i dont really write very often and i would like to improve on what i do.

Adam Manning stood in the ruins of his home. Black smoke was still smouldering from some of it. Anger and sorrow mixed within him. A burning breeze fluttered the hem of his long leather coat. Pirates had come in the night they had burnt down the bar in which he lived. They had burnt down the whole town, they had come for money but the town had none.
Adam ran his hand through his thick beard.
"Manning!" shouted a voice.
Adam turned.
"Manning we've found two bodies, ones alive."
He turned and sprinted to the voice, vaulting over a melted bar stool he came to a halt.
Before his eyes he saw his wife burnt to death, but laid next to her under a fire proof blanket was his son.
"Kurtis!" He exclaimed whilst embracing his child.

Kurt Manning was 16 but his father still treated him like a small child. His dad kept asking if he was alright, and it annoyed him how much his father thought he was weak. After sorting through the other buildings they had found a mass of dead bodies. There were so many they decided that the best course of action would be to burn them all. Kurt felt like this was a sick joke, finishing off what the pirates had started.

Adam walked over to him.
"Are you alright?"
Bitterly Kurt replied "Yes I'm fine."
"Kurtis whilst we were preparing everything I fond this on your mothers body, I thought you might like it."
Kurt took the object. He glanced over it. His mothers silver ring glinted in the moon light. A leaf pattern circled around it.
He slid it into his jacket and pulled up his hood.
"Don't call me Kurtis, its Kurt."
"Fine, I just thought id let you know that when we're done here we're leaving the planet. A few other survivors are coming. We're going to carry on trading."
Kurt just nodded.

Harry Hicks lit a torch and walked slowly to the stack of bodies. The survivors stood and watched in silence. Placing the torch at the bottom of the stack he lit the gasoline. The fire quickly climbed into the sky. For many people it showed the sign of a new beginning.

2 years passed and the traders had a lot of trouble over them. With little to no money and not many goods they had little to trade. The crew had to turn to ulterior ways of getting supplies. The motley crew had become close after the lose of there town and had even come to nickname each other;
Adam Manning was known as Captain because it was his trade ship.
Harry Hicks was known as 2H.
Jonathan Tinley was known as Dwarf because of his size.
Samantha Fisher was known as Big Fish.
Emily Fisher, Samanthas 3 year old daughter was known as Little Fish.
Kurt Manning was known as Reaper because he tended to use others mistakes as his advantage, "Reaping what they sow."
And Tom Smith was known as Blank as he seemed unsure what to do with out instructions.

Reaper and Blank were the same age and were often left behind to look after Emily.
Though this time Harry was staying behind because they may need to make a quick escape. Harry was the best pilot. He sat in the pilots chair bouncing a ball between himself and Emily.
"So Little Fish what are you today?"
"I'm a bird, I fly high in the sky with mummy bird."
Harry smiled, "well let's hope mummy bird gets home soon."

"Big Fish what's your status?" crackled the head set.
"All clear down this street Captain."
"Good, Blank, Reaper what's the roof like?"
"All clear."
"Good, Dwarf make your move. The rest of you get to the back door."
Adam swept in to the alley next to the backdoor, a plasma pistol in each hand.
Big Fish sauntered over from the other direction her twin blades flashing under the street light. Kurt and Blank dropped in from a nearby fire escape. Each greeted the others with nods.

Dwarf slid down the vent on the roof. His small body made it easy for him to squeeze down. Once at the bottom he pushed away a panel. Quickly he went behind the security cameras and disabled them, Made his way to the back door and flicked the lock open. Adam stepped into the building. There was no need to speak they had already got every thing planned out. Adam searched around the building looking for any unknown problems. Big Fish and Dwarf stack the stock on to gravity trolleys. Reaper and Blank rush the trolleys back to the ship.

Adam swept back to them, "Right that's enough. Fill that one up and then let's get out of here."
Dwarf picked up one last box. Unknown to him it was propping up some other boxes. They fell; a lamp was knocked over and broke through a window.

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP

The alarm rang.
"What a stupid place to put a lamp," Shouted Tinley over the alarm.
"Go!" shouted Adam.
He threw his second pistol to Big Fish.
Dwarf jumped on to the Grave Trolley. Kurt grabbed the handle and started running to the ship along the quickest route.
Adam and Samantha split off down different alleys. They started firing plasma into the air.

A police squad was unfortunately passing and heard the alarm going off. They ran over to the building and saw plasma being fired in to the air. A couple stopped to search the building the other two broke off each following the trails of plasma.

Kurt did his best to run pulling the trolley. He came across Blank coming the other way.
"Leg it!"
Blank dropped his trolley and ran other way.

Samantha ran still firing into the air. A shot just missed her shoulder and clattered into a bin near her. Looks like the decoy worked she thought. Tapping on the pistol she set it to overload. Throwing it over her shoulder it exploded causing a cloud of dust to cover her retreat. In the confusion Big Fish swung around the corner into a doorway.
Using a twin blade she removed the lock and slid inside.

Adam looked over his shoulder a single policeman was following him.
He turned around the corner with such speed his coat cracked the air. He holstered his pistol. The policeman saw the criminal turn the corner. He followed but could never remember what happened. A fist flew through the air and hit him square in the face.
Manning landed a perfect punch using the speed that the officer had while turning the corner. He rubbed his knuckle. "Sorry."

Kurt made it back on to the ship. Blank and Dwarf secured the cargo.
"Where's the Captain and Big Fish?" shouted Hicks
"We ran into trouble." Replied the young Manning.
A dark figure appeared on the ramp.
"Is every one here?" asked Adam.
"No mummy's not here yet," Moaned Emily.
More dark figures began to appear near the ramp.
"Take off 2H!"
"What Captain? Big Fish isn't here."
"Just take off. Kurt, try and get a link with her."
Hicks turned on the primary engines and took off with the ramp still open.
Kurt typed away at the computer, "Big Fish can you here me?"
"Loud and clear."
"Where are you?"
"I'm hidden in one of the buildings?"
Adam took the controls, "Can you get to a roof?"
"Yeah I think so."
"Hurry and get up there."
Adam cut the link.
"2H fly low over the roofs."
Blank looked over the edge. "There she is!"
Kurt grabbed one end of a rope ladder and secured it to the ship. Tinley grabbed the other end and threw it down the ramp.
Samantha held onto the end as it came into her grasp. She slowly pulled herself up while the others dragged up the ladders. Once she was safely on bored Hicks closed the ramp and cruised into space.