Discovery Gaming Community
Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions (/showthread.php?tid=156033)

Pages: 1 2

Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - SnakThree - 12-04-2017

OFL has been discussing the issue of mining corporations having more things to due, to their access to mining bonuses while having no disadvantage in shipping field. Right now, shipping factions ( Universal Shipping, Republican Shipping to name few ) have trading as their main activity, while mining factions ( BMM, Kruger, DHC to name few ) can trade just the same with addition to profitable mining activities. This paves way towards mining faction being prime choice for money making activities and shipping factions being put at disadvantage.

We have been pondering about, how we could specialize and deviate these factions in order to provide more balanced approach to choosing your ID for certain type of activity.

We are interested to hear your opinions or arguments on the matter.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Faction Cargo Limit - Querious - 12-04-2017

I would suggest putting a 4300 cargo limit on corporate mining IDs, to even things out. This is not a major limitation, but it has kept IMG from monopolizing the market, so I think it's a good idea.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - Darkseid667 - 12-04-2017

How about increasing cargo space for pure trading corporations? Maybe special cargo pods that increase the hold size? Compared to a small Serenity with a 3600 cargo hold a Storck 3 times as large has a ridiculously low cargo hold of just 5000. (And this was no appeal to reduce the hold size of the Serenity, I love that ship!)

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - xiphos - 12-04-2017

(12-04-2017, 03:31 PM)Cyber Byte Wrote: I would suggest putting a 4300 cargo limit on corporate mining IDs, to even things out. This is not a major limitation, but it has kept IMG from monopolizing the market, so I think it's a good idea.

Only if we get rid of the Freelancer Pirate train line in their id. But the Cargo limit is not a bad idea in generell. The 4,3k limit is a bit too harsh maybe. What about 4,8k? Would finally give the Titanic a meaning. Or any other Transport between 4,3 and 5k.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - SnakThree - 12-04-2017

(12-04-2017, 04:13 PM)xiphos Wrote: Only if we get rid of the Freelancer Pirate train line in their id.

I am curios to hear reasoning for this.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - Sand_Spider - 12-04-2017

Potentially, you could restrict mining corporations to the same transport limitations of the Freelancer ID. I don't know how well that'd go over, but it'd certainly emphasize "Hey, if you want a bigger cargo hold, use a Trade Faction ID."

Alternatively, you could introduce high risk, high reward legal cargo that can only be purchased by Trade Faction IDs. I'm talking about something you'd buy for 12,000 a unit, then sell for 25,000 a unit. This makes the total profit equal to the highest ore sale prices, but on a potentially shorter route. Ore is free (technically), and is a lower financial risk than my proposed idea. If you want to make more money in a shorter time frame, you had better be prepared to lose your investment.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - Mephistoles - 12-04-2017

The game and server are both far too late in their lives to be starting taking things away from people. Blanket nerfing a bunch of IDs from 5,000 to 4,300 or 3,600 is going to do harm, not good. We need to be keeping the game as accessible as possible, not restricting it too much.

It's a better idea to introduce something extra, such as a small buff for shipping factions who don't mine. What exactly this could be, I couldn't say. I've heard the ideas of larger trade ships or ID locked commodities being floated, maybe something like that.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - TheShooter36 - 12-04-2017

Lets give püre trading factions 20k minibarges. WITH gunboat/cruiser non heavy turrets!

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - Jack_Henderson - 12-04-2017

I am completely with Meph on this one.
Nerfing anybody is a bad idea at this stage.

How about you give pure trade factions a 5,3k transport? Huge. Fat. Defenseless. But... huge. Fat. Much cargo.

It's better to work with buffs than with nerfs.

RE: Open Discussion: Shipping vs Mining Factions - JorgeRyan - 12-04-2017

Same here, it's a bit too late for all the mining faction 5ker's already around. So I'd rather something new implemented for shipping factions rather than 5kers removed from miners. It's a good idea in theory, but just a bit too late. Whether it's a unique commodity to haul or a better ship(s), either could work. Or even a plugin that pays a flat percentage bonus when completing a trade route? A 5ker hauling normal cargo to a end sellpoint makes about 15 million (5,000 cargo buy 3,000 profit) and then +10% would be an extra 1.5 million, for example. I'm not even sure if it'd be possible, but it'd be cool