Discovery Gaming Community
Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition (/showthread.php?tid=157018)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - SnakThree - 01-12-2018

I mentioned my idea in OFL chat, on Durandal's devstream and am posting a thread just to put it out there for discussion.

I believe that mining zones could be made more dangerous to be in, if they had usual scanner inhibition that cuts visual and scanning range in half. This way miners inside the mining zone could only notice incoming pirates within 7.5k while pirates incoming towards mining zone, would still notice miners from 15k.

Feedback?

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Laz - 01-12-2018

I like this idea. +1

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Durandal - 01-12-2018

I'd honestly be okay with reducing it by more than 7.5k. Mining should be dangerous, and right now its incredibly safe. Just stick a core 1 or 2 POB in the field, hug it, and dock up whenever red appears.

This doesn't solve that issue, but its a step in the right direction towards high risk high reward. I'd certainly like to trial it at the very least and see how it goes. This ultimately falls mostly to @Xalrok and @Karst as system and balance lead respectively.

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Lythrilux - 01-12-2018

I think this could be a good idea.

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Xalrok - 01-12-2018

This was done intentionally with the Azurite Reactor, we could apply it to other fields.

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Sand_Spider - 01-12-2018

I'm supportive of this idea, even having mining as a primary source of income. This'd actually encourage miners to consider hiring sentries to keep an eye out for trouble, much like how traders may hire scouts as a pair of advance-warning eyes.

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - SnakThree - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 07:35 PM)Xalrok Wrote: This was done intentionally with the Azurite Reactor, we could apply it to other fields.

I just want to be clear and hopeful, that I propose this to be only applied on the actual mining zone and not whole asteroid field.

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - St.Denis - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 07:26 PM)SnakThree Wrote: I believe that mining zones could be made more dangerous to be in, if they had usual scanner inhibition that cuts visual and scanning range in half. This way miners inside the mining zone could only notice incoming pirates within 7.5k while pirates incoming towards mining zone, would still notice miners from 15k.

Feedback?

Why not just make it work for both parties?

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Durandal - 01-12-2018

What he's saying Denis, is that anyone inside the field has their scanner radius reduced. Anyone outside the field, however, will be able to see them. Pirates inside the field for example would be blind to incoming lawfuls as well.

RE: Mining Zones with scanner inhibition - Sand_Spider - 01-12-2018

(01-12-2018, 07:42 PM)SnakThree Wrote: I just want to be clear and hopeful, that I propose this to be only applied on the actual mining zone and not whole asteroid field.

That makes sense to me, since I can totally see the metals within the mining area causing radar interference.