Discovery Gaming Community
Jumphole Overhaul - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Jumphole Overhaul (/showthread.php?tid=157354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Karlotta - 02-13-2018

(02-13-2018, 04:36 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: What basis do you think this would happen with Rho/55, when similar connections haven't lead to this behaviour?

Similar connections have lead to this behavior. Colorado-Ontario, for example.

Similar connections were also avoided by the devs, obviously, for the reasons I already gave.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 02-13-2018

(02-13-2018, 04:39 PM)Karlotta Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 04:36 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: What basis do you think this would happen with Rho/55, when similar connections haven't lead to this behaviour?

Similar connections were also avoided by the devs, obviously, for the reasons I already gave.

But we're talking about Edge Worlds factions.

Omicron Sigma - Alaska exists and is a similar connection.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Sand_Spider - 02-13-2018

I guess you can't please everyone in this situation, then.

I am a little curious what harm an O-55/Rho connection would cause. I'm personally not a fan of playing a Core (mostly because I make a terrible Lawful Evil type), but I can feel for them being restricted to mostly Omicron space due to current JH connections. It would honestly be pretty cool to see the Core in the Omegas too, especially since Bretonia can't inRP, logically, patrol the Omegas right now, and I'm not sure how much attention Rheinland gives the region, either. I feel that the BHG should be enough of a "lawful" presence in the Omegas, but they're not exactly active like the Core is.

Honestly, Core being in the Omegas would probably bring some activity to the region, especially if/when the [RHA] gets kicked back up to speed.

Core used to be all over the Omegas. Me and Wesker actually had big plans for getting things back to how they used to, but I had to nag Devs for ages to give us at least a little bit of help. It's a bit sad because the end result was our Omega lore basically being retconned, Dev team not taking our Omega stuff seriously, and now here we are today where no one is motivated enough to fly the huge distances to do stuff in the Omegas. It sucks, and everyone suffers as a result.

I'm hoping that someday someone will finally realise "oh... Core is struggling to reach the other half of their ZoI... and the Omegas are dead... let's solve two problems at once". Alas, there seems to be more interest in pushing Core towards the Sigmas.

Anyway, let's get back on topic. I feel enabling Core to have better access to the Omegas will help give the region the lawful presence it really needs to stimulate activity. An O-55 connection would also put Core is close proximities to Gamma and Omega-52, thereby creating good possibilities for home system raids.

(02-13-2018, 04:42 PM)Lythrilux Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 04:39 PM)Karlotta Wrote:

But we're talking about Edge Worlds factions.

Omicron Sigma - Alaska exists and is a similar connection.

Alaska-oSigma vs the other routes connecting Alaska and Sigma are no-where near as competitive alternate routes as Delta-Rho-o55 to o41/o11 vs delta-theta-o41-o11.

I suggested making the rho-o55 route shorter for you than it is now by sending you along highway systems. Creating a new alternative route that drains the highways even more, ain't gonna happen.

(02-13-2018, 04:49 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: I am a little curious what harm an O-55/Rho connection would cause.

As I already said, it would make people travel through core stronghold systems instead of through "highway" systems, which are systems where many factions should be streamlined to interact with each other. It would do the exact opposite of what I'm trying to achieve here.

Core could have Ageira construct a Core-Only JG connection? I-don't-know, there's no making everyone happy, here.

Looking over the Nav-Map, Core ships have to fly through five systems in order to reach Omega-55 via the Omicrons. The Core could potentially try to fly through Rheinland, but not with capital assets. Would a JH connection to any of the systems between Rho and O-55, in your opinion, disrupt the "highway" between? What about a Rho-Theta connection?

I already made the rho-o55 trip shorter than it was by adding theta-delta. I already proposed replacing rho-minor with rho-theta to maje it even shorter. I even proposed adding theta-o55 again, connecting rho-o55 by only a single highway system in between. But instead of thinking about compromises you two keep trying to get the one thing most convenient to you without thinking about the other issues that make your solution counter-productive to the bigger server issues.

The Edge Worlds aren't about highways. There are no incentives for players to wait for traders or spontaneous groups of hostile ships to do patrols through systems, or for people to just casually meet up at some random point. This sort of thing only works with systems that have trade lanes, because players are forced through particular routes or are sent to certain solars.

The only kind of waiting that does work, combat ships lingering around a hostile faction's home system and waiting for them to log a counter-force - either the counter force sees this on the player list and coordinates appropriately, or the leader of those combat ships pokes people to let them know they're organising a raid. Yes, it relies on the playerlist and potentially to a degree Skype, but it worked very well. What made this most convenient would be factions having easy travel options to get to a certain point. This is what the Edge Worlds as a whole need, and reducing the number of connections in both the Omicrons and the Omegas hurt more than it helped. There's a reason why the current bottlenecks and highways in the Edge Worlds don't work (how can you create a highway when players have so much 3D space to traverse through?). I don't doubt your proposal may work elsewhere, but it certainly does not fit into the way the Edge Worlds work.

Regardless, my proposal does not prohibit a multitude of IDs interacting in Rho. In fact, I outline that this will actually enable Corsairs, Coalition and Red Hessians to raid Rho. It also gives Core players the ability to distribute activity throughout the rest of the Omega region.

(02-13-2018, 05:23 PM)Karlotta Wrote: I already made the rho-o55 trip shorter than it was by adding theta-delta. I already proposed replacing rho-minor with rho-theta to maje it even shorter. I even proposed adding theta-o55 again, connecting rho-o55 by only a single highway system in between. But instead of thinking about compromises you two keep trying to get the one thing most convenient to you without thinking about the other issues that make your solution counter-productive to the bigger server issues.

Firstly, I hadn't realized that you had already added a Delta-Theta connection, so I will apologize for that. Secondly, it's not so much that I'm trying for a convenience to me; I don't even play in the Omicrons these days, since it's too much RP-PvP stress for me to worry about. Heck, I haven't even been to the Omegas for a while, either.

I was trying to be the compromising bridge here, but I guess I'm not doing a great job at it. Welp.