Discovery Gaming Community
Jumphole Overhaul - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Jumphole Overhaul (/showthread.php?tid=157354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - eigos - 01-24-2018

I vote for the following holes:
- O41 -> Theta; (like it used to be)
- Alaska -> Minor; (like it used to be)
- O52 -> O7;

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Apollon - 01-24-2018

Mass removing system from the mod requires a lot of planning, effort and time that would most likely generate more problems than there are now. We are currently planning to remove more system as time goes by, notably with the removal of Omega-9 in this update.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Antonio - 01-24-2018

I fully agree with @Karlotta's concept, but I'd take it a step further by making a clear list of sectors. I made a picture to demonstrate and explain how the concept would work:

[Image: OUB5Jfw.png]

1. No traffic can go in or out of a sector without going from the sector center through the red lines (transit systems) to another sector center.
2. Transit systems connect only to sector centers or other transit systems and there can be a maximum of two transit systems between two sectors.
3. Minor local systems can connect only with systems within the sector they're in.
4. All mining fields must be in transit systems, sector center or a system adjacent to the center. Some centers would, based on their position, already be mining centers (O3, T23), while others would get their mining bonuses in the systems that are adjacent to the center depending on the origin of the faction.

How would the sectors look exactly? There are two methods - one is making the center have a lot of connections with all parts of the sector which sounds alright but could make escaping the center just as easy, while the other is making a few local centers that connect to the main one and everything else. It'd decentralize the main center, but slow down travel and increase travel time. Both are reasonable, but I'll make an example with the former (Delta sector):

[Image: r3s6Ng3.png]

The sector abides by the rules listed above. We have a few local activity hubs which are not far away from the center, major faction systems next to them and other systems that are either semi-guard or pure exploration ones placed inbetween. Transit systems in this case do not contain mining fields since all the centers between them do, so it's unnecessary. We could go even more extreme and force the minor hub (Kappa) into Delta, but I'd rather do it slowly at first than immediately making a very limited amount of hubs (I.E. only sector centers).

What does this give us overall? Clearly defined activity centers, passages between them, mining areas that are on the way and a much higher chance of meeting a player by just travelling between sectors. Those who want to explore and play the "discovery" role will still be able to do so since all other systems would be local ones without hindering main routes - especially unique systems such as Omicron Chi or Omicron Major.

Regardless, I'd like to see any kind of an overhaul with similar intentions to the concept I wrote since it'd be a step in the right direction.

(01-24-2018, 11:32 AM)Ghostazarashi Wrote: Mass removing system from the mod requires a lot of planning, effort and time that would most likely generate more problems than there are now. We are currently planning to remove more system as time goes by, notably with the removal of Omega-9 in this update.

Only the most redundant systems in the game would have to be removed, which let's be honest isn't a lot of work. Moving jumpholes isn't that hard either, although I understand there'd be a ton of moving to do. I never said it'd be easy, but it's necessary. The toughest part would be rebalancing the economy.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Haste - 01-24-2018

Just make jumpdrives actually good and available to all ships. Expensive to use, long charge times that can be interrupted by all hull damage or something so you can't escape combat with them. Jump 14 jumps in 5 minutes to get right into whatever activity is going on in-game.

Then the universe size and travel times matters infinitely less.

Yes, this is off topic and I've said it before, but it's also literally a 15-minute job that solves so many problems.

Oh yeah and no cargo while jumping so no power trading w/ jumpdrives, wew.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 01:47 PM)Haste Wrote: Just make jumpdrives actually good and available to all ships. Expensive to use, long charge times that can be interrupted by all hull damage or something so you can't escape combat with them. Jump 14 jumps in 5 minutes to get right into whatever activity is going on in-game.

Then the universe size and travel times matters infinitely less.

Yes, this is off topic and I've said it before, but it's also literally a 15-minute job that solves so many problems.

Oh yeah and no cargo while jumping so no power trading w/ jumpdrives, wew.

This is actually an extremely good idea and solves the problem with 99% less effort.

Haste give this it's own thread.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Reddy - 01-24-2018

interesting idea yes yes

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Sand_Spider - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 01:47 PM)Haste Wrote: Just make jumpdrives actually good and available to all ships. Expensive to use, long charge times that can be interrupted by all hull damage or something so you can't escape combat with them. Jump 14 jumps in 5 minutes to get right into whatever activity is going on in-game.

Actually, I've always wanted to see fighters being capable of jumping themselves. As it stands, it's hard to react to say, a system siege, if your primary craft is 6-8 jumps away, and might be intercepted mid-route. I remember at some point having an entire account filled with clones of my main character, *just* so that I wouldn't have to waste time flying from one end of the game to the other.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 01-24-2018

AP Manufacturing will graciously do the RP for a cheap, efficient jump drive mountable on all ships.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - SnakThree - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 02:29 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: AP Manufacturing will graciously do the RP for a cheap, efficient jump drive mountable on all ships.

*cough* Perhaps you should stick to ships, while leaving cutting-edge technology to true saviours of Sirius?

Funny enough, I wanted enhanced Jump Drives for Ageira to sell as faction perk progress for some time now, but barrage of events have distracted me from it.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Sombs - 01-24-2018

Snak3 is right. Leave that to Kishiro.