Discovery Gaming Community
Jumphole Overhaul - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Jumphole Overhaul (/showthread.php?tid=157354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Karlotta - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 01:47 PM)Haste Wrote: Just make jumpdrives actually good and available to all ships. Expensive to use, long charge times that can be interrupted by all hull damage or something so you can't escape combat with them. Jump 14 jumps in 5 minutes to get right into whatever activity is going on in-game.

Then the universe size and travel times matters infinitely less.

Yes, this is off topic and I've said it before, but it's also literally a 15-minute job that solves so many problems.

Oh yeah and no cargo while jumping so no power trading w/ jumpdrives, wew.

(01-24-2018, 02:00 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: This is actually an extremely good idea and solves the problem with 99% less effort.

Haste give this it's own thread.

So you want to make jump drives that make it easier to do surprise attacks and bust up existing activity hubs? I'm not sure that will help raise activity.

Although jump trading should definately be removed.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - SnakThree - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 02:40 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Snak3 is right. Leave that to Kishiro.

(01-24-2018, 03:13 PM)Karlotta Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 03:01 AM)Cyber Byte Wrote: While your ideal map is nowhere close to mine, you've got the right idea: Traffic should be a bit more straightforward. However, I don't think too many connections should be shifted. Instead, why not make the preferred routes for interaction quicker to travel on than others? That might help with player interaction, as most of us take the easy path, but only occasionally use the back path.

Just adding connections without removing any still leaves too many travel options that spread out players imo, and would leave us with too many jump holes that will be hard to memorize and navigate without the interactive map. I try to change links intead of creating new ones, although its not always possible.

So do you want to choke people on fewer connections? Jump Holes should be for convenience rather than some attempt to forcefully put players in each path.

(01-24-2018, 02:46 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:

@Antonio 's first picture is what's so far the closest to what I had in mind, and to what the dev team responded with denial. The difference is that I have enough "bias" towards Gallia to try connect it to the rest in a fair and equal way: basically the same connections as what were given to Delta by Antonio. And then i'd put Delta just in the middle, connected to every house node.

Old plans, excluding the Delta node at that time (don't mind the double NB on the right). New, more elaborate 3D plans coming soon in February.

Please propose concrete steps to what you want implemented, using easy changes in jump holes only. Although tbh I think trying to get people to play inside gallia is the least of our worries right now. With 20-69 players online, we're always going to have 1-3 houses that are devoid of activity. when players are at 200 again, maybe we can get people to play gallia by making a direct link from Langedoque to Ile to France.

(01-24-2018, 03:26 PM)SnakThree Wrote: So do you want to choke people on fewer connections? Jump Holes should be for convenience rather than some attempt to forcefully put players in each path.

Forcing players onto the same paths and systems is exactly what MUST be done to raise player interactions. I'm surprised not everyone has understood that by now.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Karlotta Wrote: So you want to make jump drives that make it easier to do surprise attacks and bust up existing activity hubs? I'm not sure that will help raise activity.

That's not really how JDs work though. You have to input coordinates that jump you to a specific point. Furthermore, it doesn't really change how things work.

A bunch of Core ships instantaneously jumping to Omicron Alpha for a raid and waiting for OC is the same as a bunch of Core ships flying all the way from Rho to Alpha - the one crucial difference being there are vastly smaller travel times.

(01-24-2018, 03:29 PM)Lythrilux Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 03:21 PM)Karlotta Wrote: So you want to make jump drives that make it easier to do surprise attacks and bust up existing activity hubs? I'm not sure that will help raise activity.

That's not really how JDs work though. You have to input coordinates that jump you to a specific point. Furthermore, it doesn't really change how things work. A bunch of Core ships instantaneously jumping to Omicron Alpha for a raid and waiting for OC is not much different to a bunch of Core ships flying all the way from Rho to Alpha - the one difference being there are vastly smaller travel times.

Well you can talk about your plans to launch surprise attacks on existing activity hubs in another thread.

It wont solve the lack of activity hubs though.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 01-24-2018

It entirely does. Alpha is not an activity hub anymore sadly. Buffer systems and death of OC-Corsair conflict killed it. Now imagine if both factions could instantaneously jump to Alpha or Gamma? In less than two minutes you could be in a huge brawl. It'd certainly draw interest again.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Thyrzul - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 03:26 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Please propose concrete steps to what you want implemented, using easy changes in jump holes only.

New, more elaborate 3D plans coming soon in February.

(01-24-2018, 03:26 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Although tbh I think trying to get people to play inside gallia is the least of our worries right now.

I appreciate that you consider the concerns of other members of the community as much as you expect them to consider yours.

Either way, Devs made it clear they don't intend to do any significant change to the map layout, so unless that stance eventually changes, this thread remains pointless.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - SnakThree - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 03:29 PM)Karlotta Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 03:26 PM)SnakThree Wrote: So do you want to choke people on fewer connections? Jump Holes should be for convenience rather than some attempt to forcefully put players in each path.

Forcing players onto the same paths and systems is exactly what MUST be done to raise player interactions. I'm surprised not everyone has understood that by now.

So that increases interaction count. Yet in another comment you are against JD used to initiate faster interaction as that doesn't raise activity by your (double)standard.

Best if you could decide what you want

(01-24-2018, 03:37 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 03:26 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Please propose concrete steps to what you want implemented, using easy changes in jump holes only.

New, more elaborate 3D plans coming soon in February.

(01-24-2018, 03:26 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Although tbh I think trying to get people to play inside gallia is the least of our worries right now.

I appreciate that you consider the concerns of other members of the community as much as you expect them to consider yours.

I'm sorry if it offends you that my concern with increasing server activity in general outweighs my concern with making the map look kinda 3D and raising population in a certain place that one person is particularly fond of but most people are not.

This thread is also about a certain topic, and you're more than welcome to outline your jump hole layout that will increase activity in Gallia. I was already thinking about adding a jh from Langedoque to Ile to France to make getting there easier and faster, but then I realized that the connection in the map are jump gates, and making many people use a JH in stead of jump gates in house space is kind or unrealistic.