Discovery Gaming Community
Jumphole Overhaul - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Jumphole Overhaul (/showthread.php?tid=157354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Sand_Spider - 01-25-2018

I would like to see a pair of permanent "Uncharted" systems, with jump holes connecting them to each of the five Houses, with one additional JH each in the Omegas, Omicrons, Sigmas, and Taus.

The initial entry JH would be usable only by IDs native to the area. The entry Uncharted would be PvP-light; standard ID rules apply here. This would be a system in which many factions that don't typically see one another would get the chance to interact without having to worry about being chased by foreign factions through your own JH. Only transports up to a certain size (Say, 3,000) would be able to enter. Generic IDs such as Freelancers would only be able to enter via Generic-Only JHs that block access to anything above 1,000 cargo, to prevent economy destabilization concerns.

Reachable from the "Uncharted Entry Sysyem" by all IDs is a "Deeper Uncharted System," where the Wild West rules standard to other Uncharted sectors apply. This far more dangerous area would be a hot bed for PvP and factional relations that would be completely seperate from the rest of Sirius. What happens here, stays here. You fly into this system knowing you will likely be ganked in order to obtain a high risk, high reward cargo type. There might also be a special material found only here in order to construct a unique weapon type on POBs, whether it be a cap or snub weapon. Finally, this system might have a reduced respawn time of 30-60 minutes.

The Uncharted Entrance may encourage more social RP, whereas the Deeper Uncharted will encourage RP-PvP. Since each JH leading to this system would be locked to certain ID types and cargo capacities, the economy remains stable, while many people are able to converge and hang out or pew.

Yay, or nah?

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Karita - 01-25-2018

(01-25-2018, 04:03 AM)Sand_Spider Wrote: I would like to see a pair of permanent "Uncharted" systems, with jump holes connecting them to each of the five Houses, with one additional JH each in the Omegas, Omicrons, Sigmas, and Taus.

The initial entry JH would be usable only by IDs native to the area. The entry Uncharted would be PvP-light; standard ID rules apply here. This would be a system in which many factions that don't typically see one another would get the chance to interact without having to worry about being chased by foreign factions through your own JH. Only transports up to a certain size (Say, 3,000) would be able to enter. Generic IDs such as Freelancers would only be able to enter via Generic-Only JHs that block access to anything above 1,000 cargo, to prevent economy destabilization concerns.

Reachable from the "Uncharted Entry Sysyem" by all IDs is a "Deeper Uncharted System," where the Wild West rules standard to other Uncharted sectors apply. This far more dangerous area would be a hot bed for PvP and factional relations that would be completely seperate from the rest of Sirius. What happens here, stays here. You fly into this system knowing you will likely be ganked in order to obtain a high risk, high reward cargo type. There might also be a special material found only here in order to construct a unique weapon type on POBs, whether it be a cap or snub weapon. Finally, this system might have a reduced respawn time of 30-60 minutes.

The Uncharted Entrance may encourage more social RP, whereas the Deeper Uncharted will encourage RP-PvP. Since each JH leading to this system would be locked to certain ID types and cargo capacities, the economy remains stable, while many people are able to converge and hang out or pew.

Yay, or nah?

I really, really like that idea. Especially the one-way jumpholes from the "surface map" so that it doesn't mess with the full on RP stuff. Definitely makes sense inRP for factions to encounter each in far off regions, and not all find the same entrance to the systems, so it's different than Conn.

It's also different than Conn because the system would probably have more "stuff" in it, and it's PvP light with IDs. The connection to a deeper uncharted system would add another cool element.

It's not the original idea Karlotta proposed in this thread, but I think it achieves the goal in a manner that's more likely to be implemented.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Karlotta - 01-25-2018

(01-25-2018, 03:56 AM)Sol Wrote: My map

@Sol thank you for your map. It's unclear if what you want everything that is not marked as a jh or gate connection to be removed.

If yes, I think this will never get implemented because it removes most of the discovery mod content. Because unfortunately, very little content was added/changed in vanilla systems (which is one of the major flaws of the mod imo) and people wont even see most of the nice things in the crucial first week they try the mod (but thats another topic). If systems are still connected, but only in isolated one-way paths that attach to only the main roues, they can still be explored but will not be used to travel through, which would draw activity away from the highways.

If no, then it's unclear how you intent to focus the activity onto the white or red paths, more than it already is now. You made some new connections that I also added to speed up travel, but there are still many alternative routes. For example I could still use the colorado ontario jh to avoid the choke point New York, and what is to keep people using the Honshu Sigma19 lane (or the o beta s19 jh) to avoid the sigma 17 chokepoint.

About the removal of lanes in the systems you marked, I'm somewhat neutral, but those lanes are lore and their removal would probably require more dev work than jump changing jump holes. I also think that there needs to be a small amount of unpredictability in the game, because otherwise pirates become just and predictable to LNS as traders to pirates.

I tend to agree that Tau 31 would make a good choke (although possibly too large) and give faster access to gallia, but possibly that would requiere new lanes and gates again. Also I heard people hate fighting in that system because of the brightness and asteroids. I'll think about that more.

(01-25-2018, 03:56 AM)Sol Wrote: Omega 5 seems like a good place for Corsairs to have an access to, and where they could gather before raiding into the close-by two mining zones.

Theoretically it does as much now as in the new map, as far as I can tell. If you want it to happen more there should probably be a new incentive, such as different connections or something.

Quote:Both Corsairs and Outcasts can easily raid into each others homes now. And right in the middle there's the Sigma mining zone.

That's an excellent idea and I'll add that beta-sig17 link in the next map update.

Quote:Not sure about Kusari. I'd say they need a mining zone connected to Tokyo.

see comment about sig19 honshu gate

Quote:To emphasize these routes, a lot of holes need to be removed to not allow too much bypassing. I'd also even go a lot more extreme with these routes, but I am sure even this much will not be liked.

Yes, that's exactly the hard part, because people will see this as an inconvenience to themselves, if their favorite piracy shortcut or nice and empty 100% safe trade/smuggle route gets removed. But that's exactly what needs to be done, even if people will try to sabotage the effort for it.

Quote:The real problem as it appears to me is to be able to sell even the core of this idea to the devs and members and get their willingness to work on this matter. And repeating this often, even if not with diagrams, I hope at least it will gather some attention.

The more the map layout is refined, the easier it will be for the devs to see the benefits, and the less work it will be for them. A collaborative community effort would really help refine the map, but unfortunately a collaborative community effort is very hard to achieve with the sort of community we have.

Quote:I do not think any well planned suggestion will be implemented by the devs as it is, and they'll do their own thing with things such as trade and lore in mind, and the technicalities are something that should be discussed in the dev room with willing devs. The trouble is getting them to actually even consider liking any version of this suggestion. Hence why I suggest someone willing to work on this matter to step up and say, "hey, if you will be okay with a game like this, I am willing to work on it and spend my precious time on it."

Before that, I doubt anybody will come up with a magical jump hole chart that will make everyone go "Wow! Please implement this now!" Not that I want to discourage anyone who'd like to try. I'd be happy if that happened.

I'd be happy if that happened too, but I must say most of the people posting here werent really helping make it happen.

@Sand_Spider If you want something like that, make another thread and be very specific where exactly they would be connected. I like the idea but its really another topic, shouldnt derail things here, and will get more focused attention in its own thread.

As a recommendation... really be very specific and actually think about your idea well before you launch it, or it will most likely amount to nothing.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Sand_Spider - 01-25-2018

(01-25-2018, 02:30 PM)Karlotta Wrote: @Sand_Spider If you want something like that, make another thread and be very specific where exactly they would be connected. I like the idea but its really another topic, shouldnt derail things here, and will get more focused attention in its own thread.

Agreed. I'll probably draft something more specific over the weekend. The post kind of turned out larger than intended, but I once I realized that, I decided to stick with it and post, anyways.

More on topic: I'd actually like to see the systems of Drake, Kansas' Unknown, Omega-58, and Omicron Iota linked via special Alien jump gates that only Nomad/Wild IDs can utilize. This would allow Nomad/Wild players to frequent those systems far more often without having to have multiple character clones exist (Which can be especially expensive if you want high Cap Armor gunboat clones). Consequently, this would also mean that, since Nomad/Wild players would be able to visit the aforementioned systems and the surrounding areas more often, you would draw more Human players to those isolated Nomad systems (Or rather, the systems bordering them), as well. Thus: More activity via alien/infested encounters, which are really neat to find outside of the Omicrons, since you don't expect to see Nomads in "safe" systems, so they're a nice treat.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 01-25-2018

We used to have that and Spazzy got rid of it for some reason.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Enkidu - 01-25-2018

The Hudson/Bering Liberty/Rheinland border actually rocks.

All traders are going to go through the Hudson tradelanes, which border a bounty hunter base yet are only 1 jump and a short cruise away from a pirate haven. High risk, high reward, high chance of encounters for all involved. Traders can't use the lanes to avoid pirates so have to get creative and all the jump options are risky. Equally, Pirates have to be smart to avoid lawfuls as they can be easily caught out.

Bering is cool because it's a raidable system and will be cooler when the minezones actually get activated so we can be raided.

Something like this should be the model for all the inter-house borders - a hazard system that benefits one side and a commerce system that benefits the other, side-by-side, with tiny cruise times between encounters if timed well.

Considering Bering started out life as a negligent fart by a Microsoft-hassled Chris Roberts and was effectively a crap star with a low poly asteroid field that looks like its entirely comprised out of golden nuggets serial, the changes that have been made to it make the system actually frickin' awesome.

[Image: AfzUwab.png]

I made a make-shift solution that will not make too many system changes apart from re-attaching gate connections between systems, the removal of one gate in Dauphine, and the moval of the gallic gate from T23 to T37.

But it probably is in contradiction to existing Gallic lore though, so more work than benefit given the somewhat low gallic population.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Karlotta - 01-26-2018

Would be nice if people commented or suggested jump hole connections more, especially devs and faction-savvy people.

I'm also thinking about adding an Omicron Delta-Xi direct link to bring Corsairs and Outcasts closer to Delta.

RE: Jumphole Overhaul - Lythrilux - 01-26-2018

I think people aren't commenting as much because - no offence and my intention isn't to be blunt - this has an extremely low likelihood of getting anywhere patch-wise.