Discovery Gaming Community
Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch (/showthread.php?tid=157930)

Pages: 1 2

Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Lythrilux - 02-10-2018

Time for another episode of Lythrilux talk.

Today's topic: what does the community think or feel when a faction gets new assets in a patch?

Whether this is because they've put in RP effort to acquire them, the Dev team has seen the faction needs assistance in an area and supports them, or they just get lots of new toys because either someone has the right connections or the right position. As well as any other situations where this has happened.

What is your opinion?

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Nodoka Hanamura - 02-10-2018

I'm all for it as long as there is backing RP and is reasonable.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Sombs - 02-10-2018

Apart from minor things like Carcassonne magically finding the jump hole to Cortez in Magellan instead of pushing into California or Manchester, or pretty much everything about Omicron Epsilon, I think the way things are handled right now is okay-ish. Could be worse, doesn't need another discussion against the SLIS team for the sake of it. The fun ends when people start comparing their factions. My opinion.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - oZoneRanger - 02-10-2018

Junkers loosing Trafalgar in New London without any type of event (that I am aware of), or Gallic RP stating that it was even a target, was a flawed decision. So much more could have been done with that scenario, and instead, there is just a Patch and a Bases is dead.

And yea, as long as there is RP that goes along with a faction gaining something in a patch, and it makes sense and has not been power gamed or gained through having a colored forum name or being friendly with a colored forum name, then sure.

But lets try an let it be dynamic RP between people or factions ....not this.....Skype buddies agree on Skype chat to RP this "idea" out in game and in less than a year we conquer a system with a patch update type of RP.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Vulkhard Muller - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 02:21 PM)oZoneRanger Wrote: Junkers loosing Trafalgar in New London without any type of event (that I am aware of), or Gallic RP stating that it was even a target, was a flawed decision. So much more could have been done with that scenario, and instead, there is just a Patch and a Bases is dead.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - sindroms - 02-10-2018

As long as it is something anyone can fly or use in their respective RP. If someone is trying to find reasons for people not to get new toys, they are more likely better suited for a vanila server. The issue is that players affiliate themselves with factions on a personal level. The items are added to YOUR mod on YOUR server for YOU to use, regardless of the faction. Go enjoy the new toys, instead of being outraged that everyone didn't get them.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Bulldog. - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 03:51 PM)sindroms Wrote: As long as it is something anyone can fly or use in their respective RP. If someone is trying to find reasons for people not to get new toys, they are more likely better suited for a vanila server. The issue is that players affiliate themselves with factions on a personal level. The items are added to YOUR mod on YOUR server for YOU to use, regardless of the faction. Go enjoy the new toys, instead of being outraged that everyone didn't get them.

+1

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - HuggieSunrise - 02-10-2018

All new content for any reason improves the mod and is for the commodity. Drawing lines on factions differences or making some determination of being jilted or mad about it is your problem not the teams.

This is not a compulsory thing the door in is the same as the door out. and frankly the minority doing the work inherit all the merit.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Karlotta - 02-11-2018

(02-10-2018, 01:29 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Today's topic: what does the community think or feel when a faction gets new assets in a patch?

Whether this is because they've put in RP effort to acquire them, the Dev team has seen the faction needs assistance in an area and supports them, or they just get lots of new toys because either someone has the right connections or the right position. As well as any other situations where this has happened.

What is your opinion?

I'm not really sure what you want to talk about here. Theoretical examples? Real examples? In general?

In general, I think developments should follow the greater goal of improving the mod over "giving assets" to "people who deserve it". Good things should be added and bad things removed, independently of who wants it and how hard they "worked" for it.

That doesn't mean people shouldnt be able to suggest improvements, but suggestions should be adopted by the devs based on the quality of the suggestion and not on rank or status or amount of work or RP someone did.

If you want concrete examples, they're somewhat hard to be certain about, because the discussions about dev decisions arent visible to most, and some are speculation based on appearances and a few things people said.

I think Alberta and Ontario were added pretty much because there was a Canadian dev who enjoyed RPing as the LN military governor (or something like that, not sure) of a part of Liberty for a year or two and then left.

Lots of guard systems full of bases with 0 lore infocards and barkeepers who thought they were on Freeport 9 where spammed all over because people thought every official faction should have one they could police very strictly.

A faction that hated indies and wanted to be a small elite group (typical "MY ship should be rare so OTHER PEOPLE should stop flying it" attitude encountered in many factions) pushed for crazy development stunts trying to make playing unattractive for noobs while keeping it attractive for themselves, which had to fail for obvious reasons.

Smuggling/unlawful factions lobby for routes where they're able to avoid interactions so they don't get caught, which is detrimental for everyone except them.

I'm sure there were positive examples too, but those would probably also have happened when adopting ideas based on quality instead of status.

RE: Thoughts On Factions Acquiring New Assets In A Patch - Croft - 02-11-2018

You've not considered the most vital aspect of a faction gaining anything, that there is someone out there willing to create it. Whether or not it gets added to the game is down to the various departments and general quality of the asset in question.

As for opinions and assumptions on how things are done, keep in mind that you are likely to be wrong as you are to be right and voice your constructive criticisms (e.g. don't just say "its bad" explain why and suggest changes based upon it) according, otherwise its just a dressed up whine/rant/diatribe.