Discovery Gaming Community
Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? (/showthread.php?tid=158333)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Antonio - 02-21-2018

Seeing as they're one of the least popular IDs in the game even with the line which allows them to treat transports as combat targets, as well as being the only ID in the game that can't use gunboats, I'm suggesting they are finally allowed to do so. Even if it's only the civilian ones, it'd help them in a cap-heavy enviroment of Liberty.

The server doesn't have the numbers to afford bomber swarms which old Xeno factions did, hell not even the most popular factions bomber swarm anymore, so their counter to caps is run or watch as you slowly die. Perhaps this change would give someone enough motivation to make a Xeno faction seeing as they have a huge potential. Thoughts?

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Vendetta - 02-21-2018

They have gunboat turrets and can't use gunboats. That's just aggravating in of itself.

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Thyrzul - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 06:16 PM)Antonio Wrote: the only ID in the game that can't use gunboats

Does that mean Maquis can use gunboats too?

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - "Jade Fire" - 02-21-2018

In the past I heard XA had one (might of been more) Defiants but they did the roleplay to steal them. Given Xenos got their own gunship turrets as it stands, and are allied to the Legion, who alone can make warships as needed, I'm suprised they don't got a gunship yet. As far as I know, all factions save xenos can use gunships, even corperations, freelancers, pirates and others.

In all honesty, Xenos would be on par with smaller terrorist groups yes, but remember even the Gaians got the Claymore, LWB no longer exists so idk what they used, FA used KuGB's and even pirates in Gallia have gunships.

I still question it to this day. Why were Xenos given gunship turrets but not a gunship allowance on even say, the civilian gunship?

Edit: Forgot the one Gallic faction that does not have GB access but then again said pirate group has been dead for a long time at that

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Sand_Spider - 02-21-2018

As a former Xeno Alliance member, I have fond memories of our bomber swarms taking on cap swarms in Liberty.

However, in a game where literally every other faction has access to at least gunboats, and bombers just ain't what they used to be, I think it high time to grant the Xenos access to their own bigger guns, even if it's only the Condor.

We'd have to keep an eye out for Xeno Condor swarms, however. If a group of people decide to take the new allowance to the extreme, perhaps limit the "may treat transports as combat targets" to non-gunboats, if the new allowance is abused.. The Xenos are known for their favor over the CTE line of ships, so the Condor is a natural fit.

I can maybe see Legion gunboats, though perhaps in smaller numbers.(Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think Xeno Inquisitors would be seriously OverPowered) Honestly, I would stick with Condors, since they're the easiest inRP to maintain.

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Galaxian - 02-21-2018

They haven't ever had them, so I don't really think they should have them. That's just me.

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - WesternPeregrine - 02-21-2018

Would it be complicated to keep terrorist rule set on snubs, but when piloting a gunboat they would be subjected to "fairer " piracy rules, on the same id?

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Thyrzul - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 06:24 PM)"Jade Fire Wrote: Edit: Forgot the one Gallic faction that does not have GB access but then again said terrorist group has been dead for a long time at that

Fixed that for you.

I mean, as far as I know the nature of inRP terrorist factions and the specific ID allowances granted for such RP ("Can treat transports as combat targets") were also the factors warranting balance in the form of lack of gunboat permission. Unless there has been a change regarding Maquis that I'm unaware of - which is quite unlikely, I might add - they are the other one of the total of two terrorist factions with this kind of setting.

From my pov it looks like a "something for something" situation, and I expect the special ID permission having to go should Xenos be allowed to fly gunboats. But would that be beneficial? Would that not cease the uniqueness of the faction? Would that not turn Xenos into more like a random generic house pirate faction?

EDIT: WP got an interesting idea for a possible middle ground above.

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - Major. - 02-21-2018

I remember my time in XA before it lost officialdom and when XA got revived.

Flying with the boys was fun, and being a Xeno is also fun, because of the non stop action and RP you can do.

Yes, XA has/had a defiant gb, but, I don't understand why they aren't allowed to use civ gb's. It makes no sense for me, because even a gunboat can be fixed with enough ducktape, that's why I voted yes.

Ps. Antonio is right, bomber swarms doesn't excist anymore.

RE: Should Xenos be allowed to use gunboats? - realekki - 02-21-2018

(02-21-2018, 06:35 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: ...
We'd have to keep an eye out for Xeno Condor swarms, however. If a group of people decide to take the new allowance to the extreme, perhaps limit the "may treat transports as combat targets" to non-gunboats, if the new allowance is abused.. The Xenos are known for their favor over the CTE line of ships, so the Condor is a natural fit.
+1, if xenos cant use GBs on transports, they should have some