Discovery Gaming Community
Player Owned Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Player Owned Bases (/showthread.php?tid=159051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Player Owned Bases - Karlotta - 03-14-2018

After gathering some experience as a POB owner and being somewhat in tune with the drama around POBs over the years, here are some thoughts on them, with solutions/mitigations to problems.

Technically, they’re a great addition to the mod that has potential to be fun and creative and give people more reasons to play. But there are ways in which they also do harm to gameplay:

-Bases currently give players the opportunity to completely destroy other players’ creations and hard work, which has already caused countless players to leave and unmeasurable amounts of hatred.

-Bases currently give players the ability to block or “own” areas of space, inhibiting other players’ freedom.

-Bases currently force owners to invest time shipping food, water, oxygen, and alloy, while taking care to avoid pirates and people who want to harm their base. Every additional hour spent doing boring shipping avoiding interaction is an hour less having fun interacting with people, because people have limited time to spend on discovery.

-Bases currently spread players out, away from busy routes and activity hubs, because bases tend to be built in remote or secret places. That leads to even less player interaction.

Therefore I propose the following fixes. They require no mod changes or programming, only changes in rules and IRP laws.

1. Creation of dedicated areas for POB construction, where bases are protected by IRP laws and server rules as long as they obey certain laws/rules. Admins should offer to move existing bases to these locations on request, and manage those zones if there’s no government or faction willing to manage them in a reasonable non-abusive way. Part of the placement would be to have certain "slots" with fixed /pos positions available for construction. These will enable to build neat rows and keep them from blocking traffic. Wreas would differ in nature and have differing laws, but should focus activity onto certain areas. For example:

a) “Industrial zones” where factories may be built. Base construction must be requested on the forum and obey naming, positioning, and reputation requirements. These zones should be near IRP industrial bases (Baltimore Shipyard in liberty or Planet Akabat in Mu for example), with good visibility to all players and attached to trade lanes or busy routes. The bases should be encouraged to allow public docking and buy materials needed to build equipment.

b) “Low budget space colonies” Kind of like a trailer park, where players can build core 1 bases to stash and exchange their stuff. People are free to build as they please in those areas, but will have their base destroyed if it violates the trailer park owners rules (no excessively stupid placing, no prohibited goods or factions, no weapons platforms, no factories). These zones should be in “cheap” places that aren’t central but still close to a lane or base (for example near planet Pittsburg for liberty lawfuls or near Niverton or Gonzales Station for unlawfuls)

2. Building bases closer than 15 k to mining fields and jump holes/gates (but not trade lanes) will be against rules and they also receive no protection from attack via rules or IRP laws (admins should offer to move bases that currently violate this).

3. All bases should have their crew (and thereby food/water/oxygen consumption) and wear and tear damage decreased dramatically, so people don’t become slaves to their bases, can keep them unattended for longer, and don’t have to spend so much time doing boring and detrimental things. I think it’s possible to do that without additional programming already.

This would require adding the following rules:

-Bases built closer than 15 k to mining fields or jump holes/gates will be deleted by server administrators, and receive no protection against attacks from players.

-Bases situated in protected areas may only be attacked if they violate the area’s regulations. Protected areas are collectively managed by admins, official factions, and governments.

And the following IRP laws:

-Bases manufacturing equipment must be built in designated industrial areas.

-Designated low Budget zones provide protection for Core 1 bases which follow the rules of the regulations of management.

RE: Player Owned Bases - LaWey - 03-14-2018

Quote:-Bases built closer than 15 k to mining fields or jump holes/gates will be deleted by server administrators, and receive no protection against attacks from players.

This bases already will be destroyed by players. If not, players get their profit from this. Why we need it, if community already good with it? #Unban Wesker.

I still think its all just about silent zoners players, because all bases bounded to reinforced alloys location. Factories bounded to needed commodities locations. Bases maintenance already bounded by your logistical powers.

Players just shouldn't try be special and think for what they need base before build and choose location properly. Play RP with another players to organise supply lines.

I mean, if player so special and build base in places, where sun don't shine and its make you a slave of your base...ahhh i'm just cannot understand logic of peoples who do it. Also, those players who "spread their activity" obviosly dont want iteractions, if they build bases far and restrict docking to it.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Death.RunningVerminator - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 04:36 PM)Karlotta Wrote: -Bases currently give players the opportunity to completely destroy other players’ creations and hard work, which has already caused countless players to leave and unmeasurable amounts of hatred.
Just out of curiosity who does this apply to? What happened?

RE: Player Owned Bases - LaWey - 03-14-2018

Its about - Building of core upgrade need much of time(i dont count modules, because it not so harmful).
Quote: 40,000 Hull Segments
• 100,000 Industrial Hardware
• 40,000 Robotic Hardware
• 40,000 Reinforced Alloy
• 40,000 High Performance Alloy
• 40,000 Optronic Arrays
• 40,000 Heat Sinks
• 20,000 Plasfoam Conduits
• 20,000 Nanomembrane Filters
• 1 Core Upgrade Blueprints
And every core upgrade add only 300000 of needed DPS for shot it. Its roughly 3 full cerbs BS for successfull siege per core level. For core 3 you need month of RP with PoB. For core 4 yet more. Obviosly, take group of BS's now more easy then build, maintenance and protect PoB(because disco have much of BS's now. Its create drama in some cases.
P.S. and base eat of roughly 8k of rheinforced alloy per day, and you need twice it number to live under siege. Also food oxygen and water become heavy for high core levels.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Karlotta - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 05:57 PM)Death.RunningVerminator Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 04:36 PM)Karlotta Wrote: -Bases currently give players the opportunity to completely destroy other players’ creations and hard work, which has already caused countless players to leave and unmeasurable amounts of hatred.
Just out of curiosity who does this apply to? What happened?

There were a number of bases that created heavy forum drama and players leaving. There were accusations of cheating, revenge-destruction of bases, actual cheating to revenge-destruct bases, associated permabans, revenge-ddos attacks for those bans, and people creating lawful alts to dock on bases so they could give their pirate alt an IRP excuse to blow up the base even though the owners payed the demanded extortion fees regularly. Also an admin used his knnowledge of a base access code to help someone blow up that base, and someone said their mother had a serious relapse of PTSD after her base got threatened.

And those are just the cases I could think of right now, and not counting the players who left without venting their rage on the forum.

Bases cost more than the core upgrade material and RP. They also cost the maintenance costs over months/years, and the grey hair from people who enjoy nothing more than to be a merry band of pricks towards every base owner in their ZoI. I don't mind people being a merry band of pricks, I enjoy that too occasionally. I just mind giving players the power to do so much harm to other people's gameplay and efforts.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Paddy. - 03-15-2018

The solution for the problems re: bases and mining.

1. Not to have POB's
2. Allow genuine RP re: pirating
3. Enable easier mining for solo traders
4. Make team work for mining desirable.

My solution:

1. Have a server miners Freeport stationed 6km above/below the field. I have proved it to be the most optimal distance.

2. This can enable a miner working solo to mine/jettison his ore, and be able to get back just fast enough to switch to transport ship , launch and collect the ore just before the ore disappears.

3. There would now be no need for any POB's in mining fields. Miners freeports could have a purchase of ore (1000CR) but no resell.

4. There is enough time for pirates to strike, or they can intercept the transport as it leaves (thus can ask for more credits etc.) Should the mining ship bolt for base, the pirate can tractor/destroy the ore and the miner is PvP dead.

5. The distance to travel from the ore, dock, switch ships, launch, travel and tractor means there is risk of theft and disappearing ore. It then still heavily promotes team mining.

Paddy (Miss)

RE: Player Owned Bases - MotokoSusu - 03-15-2018

well why can the server have it own PoB's that are the "official base to sell and buy ores from much in the same way the Base in PA near the He is it left people sell it but also lets ship buy it to haul it away to better P.O.S on other systems. this would make the need to build POB's near mining areas moot so if someone wants to solo mine they can buy the ore they mined for what they sold it at if they want to carry it across the map and I am sure the admin can insta-pop a core 5 even a core 10 for that matter. offer the current lower end price to sell and buy it much the same way the base in PA does. and with that the rule then would be no pob's with in 25k of a mineable area. it is easy fix

RE: Player Owned Bases - Paddy. - 03-15-2018

(03-15-2018, 01:36 AM)MotokoSusu Wrote: well why can the server have it own PoB's that are the "official base to sell and buy ores from.... this would make the need to build POB's near mining areas moot

..if someone wants to solo mine they can buy the ore they mined for what they sold...

Putting a Server base rather than a POB means it is indestructible. It would make a POB unnecessary. Using my above scenario, you could do either a sell/buy, or a quick switch to go back and tractor in.

You can set up a buy for 500 SC, sell for 500 SC easily enough but that would not be a great benefit to a solo miner if you can tractor it in on your transport. And you would diminish the potential RP with pirates.

As a possible thought, you could restrict transports above, say 3600 units from docking meaning they need to truck to a POB to offload into a 5000 cargo to maiximise efficiencies.

Paddy (Miss)

RE: Player Owned Bases - The.Outlaw.Star - 03-15-2018

I have plenty of experience in these matters revolving around PoB's prob more than 95% of you. You dont see me complaining or asking for changes or re-works you know why? bc the system works great! To be honest i didnt even read your wall of text bc I've seen it all before many many times before. so dont get mad at me for telling you all how to properly manage a PoB. ok? cool

Everyone's number one problem is the lack of Diplomacy with surrounding factions. You cant build something and thats it, there is a lot more than just the structure floating in space that you feed supplies to! you have to make sure everyone is happy or at least paid off and do some darn forum RP! its pathetic the lack of RP most of these bases have so its no wonder no one takes em serious.

Lack of diplomacy leads to your base blowing up! like lets be real you build a base in hostile territory and expect it not to get attacked by opposing faction? *laughs* use your head and always be prepared for the consequences.

Nothing is wrong with PoBs I wouldnt change a thing I think the Devs have done a great job implementing this feature and I thank you all very much.

Side note: you all wanna fix something in Disco then remove Conn!

RE: Player Owned Bases - Festus McBoyle - 03-15-2018

I can agree with your views about a lack of diplomacy and even agree in part with your views on a lack of RP in forums. Never-the-less Karlotta makes the most valid point of losing substantial numbers who have bases destroyed after all their hard work, and not necessarily because they were in the wrong. Embittered and angry that all their efforts were destroyed. POB's cost a huge amount in time and credits. You blow a ship up it respawns. If you blow a base up it is gone for good.

Karlotta did rightly highlight the vendetta mentality of some... "pricks".

For many, base contruction is a lot of fun and the reason they remain on DiscoveryGC.