Discovery Gaming Community
Player Owned Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Player Owned Bases (/showthread.php?tid=159051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Player Owned Bases - Paddy. - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 12:17 AM)The Only Hokan Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 11:58 PM)Sniper Wrote: For the record I don't own a PoB. Managed one once, didn't like it. Built a Core 1 once, but got rid of it after a week.

I just see injustice when a PoB is destroyed when it doesn't need to be nor can be justified in destroying the labour of another.

You trade a lot to buy and equip a Battleship. Billions.
You trade a lot to build and equip a PoB. Billions + time

Battleships respawn, PoB's don't

Bring fairness to the game. Make battleships unable to respawn, or make a special siege ship that can't respawn.

PoBs don't needs to be destroyed, but they also don't need to be built either.

And there are already talks within the Dev team about how to make the PoB system better.

As St Denis pointed out, as did others, some players love to build a PoB, and that is what keeps them engaged in the game. My personal dislike of PoB's that aren't engaged in or promoting RP is known, but I wouldn't like to see anyones efforts unfairly taken out.

This is an RP server and RP should be to the fore, but in regards to the current bout of sieges there is little of it.
Seiges aren't designed to destroy. They are designed to force surrender and capture.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Xenon - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 12:53 AM)Paddy. Wrote: As St Denis pointed out, as did others, some players love to build a PoB, and that is what keeps them engaged in the game. My personal dislike of PoB's that aren't engaged in or promoting RP is known, but I wouldn't like to see anyones efforts unfairly taken out.

This is an RP server and RP should be to the fore, but in regards to the current bout of sieges there is little of it.
Seiges aren't designed to destroy. They are designed to force surrender and capture.

Well said @"Paddy" and @St.Denis , that is a very good point there..

RE: Player Owned Bases - LaWey - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 12:53 AM)Paddy. Wrote: This is an RP server and RP should be to the fore, but in regards to the current bout of sieges there is little of it.

As St Denis pointed out, as did others, some players love to build a PoB, and that is what keeps them engaged in the game. My personal dislike of PoB's that aren't engaged in or promoting RP is known, but I wouldn't like to see anyones efforts unfairly taken out.

So, instead of calling honest RP-ers "playing little of RP" just because the story devs once decided it will be fun to turn one of the space fleets in razing genocidal maniacs and calling for GMs intervention, can you apply your POB experience to think out solutions for existing gameplay problems?

Can you guys understand, that both "REMOVE POB" and "POB NEED DEFENCE" just represent deep in-gameplay flaws of POBs, ignored by development since forever?
Even if not touch POB plugin itself, bases have a long list of economy-related problems. Instead of appealing to "ALOT OF EFFORTS", maybe need to ask "Do those efforts gameplay justified? Or what we do is BDSM dungeon?". We should stop to look solely on siege end of the problem, it is just cherry on top of a lot more complex trouble. Root lays in fact, that whoever implemented POB, that guy ignored how it will interact with the environment. Currently, the server just has a tool, made in FLHook, but it barely linked to other game-design. And this situation going for years. This is time to stop.

We should look at how indeed POB linked to the economy and affect it is in all appearances - be it building, maintenance, siege, ore trade, equipment production. We as well should think how indeed POB can act solar-wise, maybe there could be smarter solutions than weapon platforms. Solutions, improving gameplay, instead of ruining it.

And this is only tweaks, not requiring hitting plugin with a sledge.

We should just stop with this approach of treating POBs like a retarded child - we should either cure it, either have balls for euthanasia.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Markam - 06-01-2020

I like that POBs result in PvP defending/attacking them.

It is unfortunate that this PvP matters not, when the base ends up getting taken down in a 6-7 hour siege from midnight to 7am server time.

Yeh, I know people play multiple time zones, and can siege at different times, but it is still meh.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Jeuge - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 02:38 AM)Markam Wrote: I like that POBs result in PvP defending/attacking them.

It is unfortunate that this PvP matters not, when the base ends up getting taken down in a 6-7 hour siege from midnight to 7am server time.

Yeh, I know people play multiple time zones, and can siege at different times, but it is still meh.

we cannot impose on people to connected at a specific time to make a siege

imagine that a person who has a different time zone and has to log on at 3am to do a siege

RE: Player Owned Bases - Sniper - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 02:38 AM)Markam Wrote: I like that POBs result in PvP defending/attacking them.

I agree.

Went in today to see if I could offer some defence to Eldorado. There were eleven ships sieging it. 44 ingame indicated. Would not matter if Eldorado had 4-5 defence platforms. No one else available to defend. 1 v 9 is suicide. Gave up.

It is a total farce the RP situation. Enclave don't do anything close to expected RP on the sieges... on an RP server...
The PoB's, all independent operations, can't RP a defence and organise without metagaming. So bloody unfair. As I said before. Piss-poor RP and piss-poor consideration of the community.

The GM's need to be allowed to be able to put a temporary halt to the seiges which is harming the community. This would give them time to work through the situation. This would need the community to appreciate and be in favour of.
No disadvantage to the attackers except for a pause in operations. Time to think things through. They may need to think through things an replace the PoB's should it be deemed that Enclave, God bless 'em, have acted outside the spirit of the game.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Jeuge - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 03:03 AM)Sniper Wrote:

I agree.

Went in today to see if I could offer some defence to Eldorado. There were eleven ships sieging it. 44 ingame indicated. Would not matter if Eldorado had 4-5 defence platforms. No one else available to defend. 1 v 9 is suicide. Gave up.

It is a total farce the RP situation. Enclave don't do anything close to expected RP on the sieges... on an RP server...
The PoB's, all independent operations, can't RP a defence and organise without metagaming. So bloody unfair. As I said before. Piss-poor RP and piss-poor consideration of the community.

The GM's need to be allowed to be able to put a temporary halt to the seiges which is harming the community. This would give them time to work through the situation. This would need the community to appreciate and be in favour of.
No disadvantage to the attackers except for a pause in operations. Time to think things through. They may need to think through things an replace the PoB's should it be deemed that Enclave, God bless 'em, have acted outside the spirit of the game.

There are times when the defense has the advantage, as well as times when it's at a disadvantage. this is part of the game, there are times when you have to learn how to lose, instead of crying on the forum and putting the blame on people who play the faction.

moreover uses the "RP" as justification is stupid, if you know the enclave you will understand why there was no "communication", but apparently you were spending more time creating "scandal" on the forum than anything else.

RE: Player Owned Bases - SlappyTheRoach - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 03:03 AM)Sniper Wrote:

I agree.

If you saw 44 players online, did you ask any of them to come help you at all? And how many PoBs have gone down since they were made i do not see post like this from everyone that lost a PoB.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Grumblesaur - 06-01-2020

The fact that weapon platforms can be moved by a player on the base in coordination with a spotter allows the player on the station to participate in a PVP encounter without risk of dying. Even moving the platforms at random with known in-range coordinates can force the defending team to respond without any risk. I personally do not like this mechanic, and think it should have a cooldown, but this is a useful tactic if you're going to defend.

Can't do that if you're on the forums whining, though.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Sniper - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 03:28 AM)Jeuge Wrote: There are times when the defense has the advantage, as well as times when it's at a disadvantage. this is part of the game, there are times when you have to learn how to lose, instead of crying on the forum and putting the blame on people who play the faction.

I assume you are one of the siegers?

Ships respawn, PoB's don't.
Ships can log back in after 1 hour. Not the PoB. Does this actually get through to you?

This is an RP server, not a PvP server. Enclave seems to focus on the latter. No Freelancer PvP servers remain... all gone... dead.

Seiges are part of the game.
Seiges in RL look to force a capture or surrender of defenders. Not to wipe them out. Why destroy a players hard work?

In Rugby, one team wins, one team loses. They shake hands and share a beer after the game, knowing they can all play next week. As can two opposing fleets of in DiscoGC.

PoB's can't as in less than a day, all the hard work, effort, to build and maintain a base over many years is destroyed. No more RP, pissed off players and harm to the community.