Discovery Gaming Community
Player Owned Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Player Owned Bases (/showthread.php?tid=159051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Player Owned Bases - Shiki - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:36 AM)Reddy Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 06:31 AM)TheFireLeon Wrote: Okay listen, YOU HAD DAMM 8 HOURS TO TAKE DOWN THE ENCLAVE OR EVEN MORE! for real and you just thinking for yourself to make change to a PoB. The Enclave actually sat and shot the PoB for 8 or more hours while you people just came to one fight and gave up already.

That is normally sleep time, i came to 3 fights yesterday. We can't have all the time in the world. Work and obligations are more important than a 17 year old space sim.

Enclave just have combination of multiply timezones in their playerbase,so its more well rounded. 3 fights sounds good enough, sadly I could not attend.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Monsieur Baguette - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:49 AM)Sniper Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 05:22 AM)Grumblesaur Wrote: It does have validity in the game, in fact. What we are doing is permitted by the rules. If base owners do not like the risk of their hard work being destroyed, they should be prepared to defend it, or not build at all.

You have made several threads already, and in each one you refuse to partake in any kind of constructive dialogue, and instead praise opinions that align with your own goals of preserving player bases.

I am on record as stating sieges are part of the game. And should be. Sieging Eldorado I have no problem with. Destroying Eldorado is stupid. No RP of any note I see.

You clearly don't want to open your thinking and understanding that your attacks come with with piss-poor RP and with slant regard to the damage caused to the community. This is the truth of the matter.

Destroying Goldgeist, which has seen a lot of RP, looking at the forums, and the collective benefit to the community on the whole, was stupid for the game.
Enclave have come in with just the bare legal RP and stopped all the RP that was going on.
If you milk a cow, you get years of benefit. You kill the cow, you feast for a moment and then starve. No more RP generated.

Quote:The goal here is to get people to roleplay in the game, not to roleplay on the forums.

So the reason you are destroying the bases is because you think PoB's are bad for the game, and your ideological outlook is the right one. That's what you are saying. I'm right aren't I. You want to destroy every ones fun building, maintaining and enjoying their little place in the game because Big Brother has determined that they should be Rping in the game, not building PoB's.

Heaven help us all.

Since it is not the first time you invoke the general rationality behind sieges and iRL sieges mechanics, let me tell you a few examples.

1. Mongols/Tamerlan. When the Mongols invaded Persia/Russia/China a lot of castles/towns were besieged and then wiped out, and then they would make a pyramid of skulls as a warning to the rest. This is vividly pictured by Vasnetsov in his art "The Apotheosis of War".

2. Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Were not sieges but the attempt to actually avoid more sieges. The command took a hard decision of wiping out two cities to spare both allied and Japanese lives, forcing the Japanese to surrender.

3. A lot of Nazi sieges in the USSR since acording to Hoebels the population of the USSR was to be eventually wiped out and the territories subsequently colonised.

There are a lot of other examples. Speaking about "miling a cow" is quite ignorant of history and the realpolitik. The way the besiegers behave and what they do after a successful siege depends by far not only on simple commerce or economic benefits, but also on:
  • ideology
  • war strategic/tactical/operational objectives
  • nature and character of war
  • previous conduct of belligerents
Etc.

The Enclave destroyed the bases rather than occupying them due to their strategic objectives of "scorched ground" over "expansion". Enclave in current state cannot control more installations in disputed territories, they are a liability. Thus, it is more reasonable for the Enclave to wipe them out to destroy local economy, foster chaos and lawlessness, and cripple Bretonia even more. Besides, the Enclave are xenophobes and act as such. Whatever you say inRP in defense of those stations, a valid RP counterargument can easily be found.

POBs issues have for multiple times addressed by the staff. The devs even kindly responded to you, indicating that POBs mechanics will be re-considered. Further discussion, hence, is irrelevant until the proposal from the devs is open to public. The number of these POB-drama-related threads and constant whining actually is undermining your position and on emotional level making people more likely to oppose your proposals just because of whining. And there is nothing wrong with that, just simple psychology.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Sniper - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:31 AM)TheFireLeon Wrote: Okay listen, YOU HAD DAMM 8 HOURS TO TAKE DOWN THE ENCLAVE OR EVEN MORE! for real and you just thinking for yourself to make change to a PoB. The Enclave actually sat and shot the PoB for 8 or more hours while you people just came to one fight and gave up already.

Okay listen, YOU ATTACKED A DEFENCELESS BASE FOR 8 HOURS OR MORE WITH UP TO 11 SHIPS WHEN ONLY 44 PEOPLE WERE INGAME! for real and you think that leaders of your flotilla who are ideologically driven to destroy bases because they don't want PoB's in the game, care about the enjoyment of others to have fun in the game, and don't care that they are harming the community?

RE: Player Owned Bases - Grumblesaur - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:42 AM)Sniper Wrote: Okay listen, YOU ATTACKED A DEFENCELESS BASE FOR 8 HOURS OR MORE WITH UP TO 11 SHIPS WHEN ONLY 44 PEOPLE WERE INGAME! for real and you think that leaders of your flotilla who are ideologically driven to destroy bases because they don't want PoB's in the game, care about the enjoyment of others to have fun in the game, and don't care that they are harming the community?

Defenselessness is a choice of the POB owners. There were not only 44 people online for the entire siege. The population varies over the course of the siege because sieges take a long time. Enclave is a large player group, and all of its official factions cooperate and communicate. We're spread over several time zones and we have players in many countries.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Shiki - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:38 AM)Markam Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 06:25 AM)Shiki Wrote: If thats your concern, then i would suggest poking their discord. I doubt that current interaction of mollys are alive mostly because of the treatment they have received from baf. And for coalition contacts Thunderer would do it better than you, I think. Best of luck in your quest.

BAF isn't going to work with the Coaltion to defend a Molly base obviously, so unless the Coalition helps it would be a free siege. May not be able to resist the temptation to shoot Enclave (POB PVP is yesterdays lunch but it is still PVP) but otherwise its not our problem.

(06-01-2020, 06:38 AM)Markam Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 06:25 AM)Shiki Wrote: If thats your concern, then i would suggest poking their discord. I doubt that current interaction of mollys are alive mostly because of the treatment they have received from baf. And for coalition contacts Thunderer would do it better than you, I think. Best of luck in your quest.

BAF isn't going to work with the Coaltion to defend a Molly base obviously, so unless the Coalition helps it would be a free siege. May not be able to resist the temptation to shoot Enclave (POB PVP is yesterdays lunch but it is still PVP) but otherwise its not our problem.

Okay.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Markam - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:40 AM)Monsieur Baguette Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 05:49 AM)Sniper Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 05:22 AM)Grumblesaur Wrote: It does have validity in the game, in fact. What we are doing is permitted by the rules. If base owners do not like the risk of their hard work being destroyed, they should be prepared to defend it, or not build at all.

You have made several threads already, and in each one you refuse to partake in any kind of constructive dialogue, and instead praise opinions that align with your own goals of preserving player bases.

I am on record as stating sieges are part of the game. And should be. Sieging Eldorado I have no problem with. Destroying Eldorado is stupid. No RP of any note I see.

You clearly don't want to open your thinking and understanding that your attacks come with with piss-poor RP and with slant regard to the damage caused to the community. This is the truth of the matter.

Destroying Goldgeist, which has seen a lot of RP, looking at the forums, and the collective benefit to the community on the whole, was stupid for the game.
Enclave have come in with just the bare legal RP and stopped all the RP that was going on.
If you milk a cow, you get years of benefit. You kill the cow, you feast for a moment and then starve. No more RP generated.

Quote:The goal here is to get people to roleplay in the game, not to roleplay on the forums.

So the reason you are destroying the bases is because you think PoB's are bad for the game, and your ideological outlook is the right one. That's what you are saying. I'm right aren't I. You want to destroy every ones fun building, maintaining and enjoying their little place in the game because Big Brother has determined that they should be Rping in the game, not building PoB's.

Heaven help us all.

Since it is not the first time you invoke the general rationality behind sieges and iRL sieges mechanics, let me tell you a few examples.

1. Mongols/Tamerlan. When the Mongols invaded Persia/Russia/China a lot of castles/towns were besieged and then wiped out, and then they would make a pyramid of skulls as a warning to the rest. This is vividly pictured by Vasnetsov in his art "The Apotheosis of War".

2. Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Were not sieges but the attempt to actually avoid more sieges. The command took a hard decision of wiping out two cities to spare both allied and Japanese lives, forcing the Japanese to surrender.

3. A lot of Nazi sieges in the USSR since acording to Hoebels the population of the USSR was to be eventually wiped out and the territories subsequently colonised.

There are a lot of other examples. Speaking about "miling a cow" is quite ignorant of history and the realpolitik. The way the besiegers behave and what they do after a successful siege depends by far not only on simple commerce or economic benefits, but also on:
  • ideology
  • war strategic/tactical/operational objectives
  • nature and character of war
  • previous conduct of belligerents
Etc.

The Enclave destroyed the bases rather than occupying them due to their strategic objectives of "scorched ground" over "expansion". Enclave in current state cannot control more installations in disputed territories, they are a liability. Thus, it is more reasonable for the Enclave to wipe them out to destroy local economy, foster chaos and lawlessness, and cripple Bretonia even more. Besides, the Enclave are xenophobes and act as such. Whatever you say inRP in defense of those stations, a valid RP counterargument can easily be found.

POBs issues have for multiple times addressed by the staff. The devs even kindly responded to you, indicating that POBs mechanics will be re-considered. Further discussion, hence, is irrelevant until the proposal from the devs is open to public. The number of these POB-drama-related threads and constant whining actually is undermining your position and on emotional level making people more likely to oppose your proposals just because of whining. And there is nothing wrong with that, just simple psychology.

I do not mind those comparisons as basis to why no negotiation was offered, but then again, POBs are not part of the story of the mod, nor is PVP in general, for numerous reasons. By destroying all of the POBs on the server you will get nothing but the satisfaction of removing what has (unfortunately?) become part of the player-economy (as opposed to the story economy? If that is even a word combination that makes sense), which may in turn deprive future activity, as traders will be less inclined to visit those areas for ore to trade. Though imagine the sell point changes to ore that happened a while back did more damage to gold ore than destroying a handful of POBs did, but who knows.

That being said, POBs are rebuild-able easily enough, and some of the dev team are working on QOL improvements to the system of building and maintaining POBs.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Monsieur Baguette - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:42 AM)Sniper Wrote:

Okay listen, YOU ATTACKED A DEFENCELESS BASE FOR 8 HOURS OR MORE WITH UP TO 11 SHIPS WHEN ONLY 44 PEOPLE WERE INGAME! for real and you think that leaders of your flotilla who are ideologically driven to destroy bases because they don't want PoB's in the game, care about the enjoyment of others to have fun in the game, and don't care that they are harming the community?

Firstly, let's face the grim reality: should those people really care about you having fun from some tamagochi? I doubt most people iRL or ingame do care about other people's feelings except for a few close to them. Don't appeal to what is ridiculous. This is not a sect where everyone has to consider what others would think before doing what is perfectly within the established rules.

Secondly, 44 people online is quite a server activity. Just a few months ago 44 was almost a peak during weekdays, sometimes reaching 60 on weekends. COVID-19 changed stuff a bit, sure, but it does not still mean there are 100 people online at all times. Moreover, those besiegers actively contributed to server's population.

Thirdly, people play when they are convenient to play. For example, I live in Tokyo and most of times I play when Europe still sleeps or is busy at work. Implying, that I should adjust to favourable to you timezone is quite a level of entitlement.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Saronsen - 06-01-2020

dont build your base where it cant be easily defended/where it can be easily attacked

RE: Player Owned Bases - Hubjump - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:46 AM)Grumblesaur Wrote: Defenselessness is a choice of the POB owners

No it isn't.
https://i.imgur.com/gFtYLG9.png
Once again I'm advocating for set siege times twice a day for 1-3 hours each occurrence.
Because due to offtimes.
No one is going to defend that POB.
And due to weapon platforms only being useful for PVP defence... Well... What defence? Because those micro managed weapon platforms aren't going to do anything when they're dead 99% of the time.

Saying that I'm assuming they still work like they used to when they just popped and respawned every now and then during the siege.
Speaking from my past OC siege experiences let alone BAF and a one time shared Jorm from back in the day. Just you know...
Making it clear that I and other players who are for changes to sieging do have experience being on the attacking end.

RE: Player Owned Bases - SlappyTheRoach - 06-01-2020

(06-01-2020, 06:34 AM)Sniper Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 06:15 AM)SlappyTheRoach Wrote: Its part of the game, and IT IS JUST A GAME. Honestly I think PoBs sould be removed, Yes I own 1 PoB and maintain 2 others it sucks time wasters. If PoBs were to go poof, no more I would not really care even if I had a good amount of RP on it. regarding the special equipment that they make, you will just have to make them into SRP instead.

So it is ideology driven to destroy PoB's even though so many others love to build PoB's and maintain them and having fun.

That is bullying behaviour. You are taking your ideology and enforcing it on others and if they don't like it you destroy their stuff. You are a bully.

You go on and on about it IT IS JUST A GAME.
It is but its no fun for those who want to play the game if you bully them... and are you a bully?

Lol bully. I'm sorry I did not relise playing the game as its intended to be played was being a bully, I thought that was just playing a game.

And you say it is a game and others want to play the game. If I am just playing a game to the game, um how is that bulling? Lol