Discovery Gaming Community
Player Owned Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Player Owned Bases (/showthread.php?tid=159051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Player Owned Bases - Thyrzul - 06-02-2020

(06-02-2020, 03:10 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:
The primary imbalance I see between owners and besiegers is the requirement of continuous maintenance of a base even when it's not besieged. The resulting asymmetry can greatly vary the difference in required cost and effort investment on each side of a siege on a case by case basis and the overall cumulated costs slowly but steadily increase over time for the owners.

Possible solution: Remove wear & tear damage.
Possible problem arising from that solution: abandoned bases remain.

Yeah, well, someone sometime put some effort into creating that base, even if later abandoned it. Then it either causes enough problems for someone else to similarly put effort into its removal, or not.
Or if it remains a constant extra but unnecessary strain on server load: apply a timer of N days, after which W&T is reinstated at a higher rate, the timer resettable through logging in to a base.

Thoughts?

I changed my mind when I began considering the actual functionality one gets in exchange for base maintenance: a guaranteed docking point, over which the owner has control, basic, expandable storage, area denial options through weapon platforms, factories. For all that, 3-5 supply runs per week doesn't sound too harsh.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Reddy - 06-02-2020

i liked haste's idea of PoBs requiring a certain amount of damage to be inflicted upon them to turn hostile. that would prevent a stray fighter shot to make all the wps hostile and causing a mess of the fight

RE: Player Owned Bases - SwiftWing - 06-02-2020

Please read my Post on this page about POB's, This might be the best Idea so far, any thoughts on it?
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=180346&pid=2167181#pid2167181

RE: Player Owned Bases - St.Denis - 06-02-2020

(06-02-2020, 05:00 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:
I changed my mind when I began considering the actual functionality one gets in exchange for base maintenance: a guaranteed docking point, over which the owner has control, basic, expandable storage, area denial options through weapon platforms, factories. For all that, 3-5 supply runs per week doesn't sound too harsh.

The supply of a POB, when it is at full health is very easy.

Core 1 - 400 FOW & 1440 RA per day
Core 2 - 800 FOW & 1440 RA per day
Core 3 - 1200 FOW, 1440 RA and 1440 RH per day
Core 4 - 1600 FOW, 1440 RA and 1440 RH per day

It always surprises me to see so many Bases not at full health. As you say, it can be a handful of runs each week, if you don't feel the need to do a quick run each day.

When the Devs increased the hps, of POBs, by a factor 50, they at the time also reduced the repair rate by a factor of 10.

This meant that a Core 1 Base went from 8 million hps to 400 millions. The repair rate went from 60k per 2 units of a Repair Material to 6k.
The idea behind this thinking was that you didn't need 10 Battleships to overcome the repair rate of the Base, before the Base actually started taking damage.

This would allow people to use lesser ships to do damage to the Base. It had that effect (people still turn up with a plethora of BSs anyway), but it had an adverse affect on people who build/own POBs.

It now took 5-15days to get a newly placed POB from 20 million hps to 400 million hps (5 days supplying all 3 RMs, 15 days for only 1).
This required for best healing supplying 8640 units of each of the 3 RMs per day.

A little while later someone spoke to the Devs and said that the Repair Rate of 6k per to Units should actually be 2k. So this was then reduced by another factor of 3 (now an overall reduction by a factor of 30).

This had an even more adverse on POB builders/owners. This increased the time, for a Core 1, from 5-15 days to 15-45 days.

Core 1 Base with all 3 RMs will regenerate 1.08 million hps an hour. (25.92 millon/day), needing 8640 each of RA,RH & HS each day
Core 2 Base with all 3 RMs will regenerate 2.16 million hps an hour. (51.84 millon/day), needing 17280 each of RA,RH & HS each day
Core 3 Base with all 3 RMs will regenerate 3.24 million hps an hour. (77.76 millon/day), needing 25920 each of RA,RH & HS each day
Core 4 Base with all 3 RMs will regenerate 4.32 million hps an hour. (103.68 millon/day), needing 34560 each of RA,RH & HS each day

So to put this in to context, lets chose a mythical Group who have 8 medium BSs using Cerberus's. They decide to siege a Core 4 Base (1.2 billion hps).

Using the Siege Calculator (SC) which has been thrown around the Forums for a few years.
Repair rate at 2000 hps per RM per 20 second tick.
We will also say, they are fanatics (sleep, eating, toilet breaks are for wimps).
They have worked out, using the SC that they will need 13.39 hours to destroy the Base.

After 12 hours of sieging, and fighting (the defenders have put a valiant defence by ganking the hell out the attackers), the attackers decide it isn't worth all the hassle (and the defenders don't play fair) and call it quits. They have manage to do about 7 hours of damage to the Base, equating to about 50% or 624 million hps.

The Base Owner now wants to repair his Base, just in case they come back for more.
He needs to supply every 24 hours for the next 6 days:
34,560 Reinforced Alloy
34,560 Robotic Hardware
34,560 Hull Segments.
This is 28 x 5ker trips.
He is very lucky in that all 3 RMs are only a 15 minute round trip, until he realises that means for the next 6 days he has 7 hours work per day (sounds almost like a normal working day).

Now, if the Repair Rate was restored to the original 6k per 2 units of a RM, then it would only be 2 days (seems a bit more palatable).

But hey! That is unfair to the attacker, he has to spend a lot longer sieging the Base to destroy it.

Well, the SC says that the time is only 15 hours.

The Repair Rate, in my opinion, needs looking at.

EDIT: I have no idea what the 'special' SD Siege Guns do in damage, but I seem to have the impression that it is stupidly OP. If that is true, then, realistically, NO POB is safe from a Group that is determined to put down a POB.

A Core 5 Base will only heal 129.6 million hps per day and need:
43200 RA
43200 RH
43200 HS
each day to do that.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Its Raisu - 06-02-2020

(06-02-2020, 08:50 PM)St.Denis Wrote: This would allow people to use lesser ships to do damage to the Base. It had that effect (people still turn up with a plethora of BSs anyway), but it had an adverse affect on people who build/own POBs.

This pretty much. none of the changes that have occurred around POB durability have dealt with the problem of it being focused solely on Raw DPS Efficiency. Yea, they don't repair as much DPS as they used to allowing smaller ships to counter the regen rate and have damage stay on the POB.... but its still a matter of raw DPS efficiency. Why use 30+ bombers or gunboats when you can do more with say.... 3-4 battleships.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Thyrzul - 06-02-2020

The repair rate coupled with the increase in hull works as intended (fewer ships can outmatch the rate, but it takes a lot longer than before), but in St.Denis' post I can spot the unintended side effect causing the owners to still spend a lot more time on repairs: cargo restraints.

Idea: Multiply repair amount per check by 3; Decrease repair check frequency to its 1/3rd.
Expected effect: Repair rates remain the same, but consume 1/3rd of the current commodity costs and time investments (like 2 days of supplying instead of six by St.Denis' example). Server load decreases as well.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Grumblesaur - 06-03-2020

@Champ has created a suggestion template if you are inclined to formalize your ideas.