Discovery Gaming Community
Player Owned Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Player Owned Bases (/showthread.php?tid=159051)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Player Owned Bases - Karlotta - 03-20-2018

(03-19-2018, 07:08 PM)Undertaker Wrote: In Bretonia building a POB in a mine field is illegal. Some don't care, and illegally build one and build another when BPA) destroy it. That won't change.

It ain't broke, so why try to fix it.

People abuse the good will of police players who don't know who built a base, as well as abuse the attack declaration and must-RP rule to keep the base unprotected and unrepaired. That behavior is rewarded with a: the ability to mine alone with a high bonus which is intended for teamwork and b: being un-pirate-able and c: No need for roleplay, payments, or diplomacy. In exchange for the few materials needed to build a core 1 base, which can be stashed in large quantities on another POB and picked up by a construction platform every time a new base is built.

Some WOULD call that "broken".

And it WOULD change if the existing IRP law is turned into a rule.

RE: Player Owned Bases - ronillon - 03-20-2018

(03-19-2018, 10:00 PM)Laura C. Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 06:35 PM)OrignlGaminGeneration Wrote: Hello Jack_Henderson,
MY Disco mentor (who showed me ore routes) came up with a way to off set costs in materials by not leaving the required crew for continuous repairs. After repair pull the crew and keep them stored in a cheap freighter on the base, and let the base degrade for 2-4 days then come back and put the crew back for repairs. Then pull them after repairs are done and this will reduce the overall cost. By accident I delivered 5k too much Robotic Hardware on a build project and He noticed that the base repair went way faster after that. The Base owner does not allow base to degrade passed one third of full health. This will save you billions in credits and hours of the supply grind in the long haul. Smart man my Disco mentor is.

Yes, this is nice example how something what was meant to help base owners to make their life easier is immediately abused by part of them. Before the mandatory attack declarations and waiting times were a thing, no one would dare to leave his base degrade. Now you see like third of them constantly being not on full health because owners feel safe. What you describe is completely out of roleplay and abuse of game mechanics, nothing else. Long time ago several base owners got even sanctioned for something similar (not supllying the bases with FOW, just letting the crew die and once a week just deliver missing amount of crew). The crew "stored" on a freighter idea to prevent it from dying but also consuming FOW is not much better and it calls for adminteam´s attention in my opinion. It makes people who properly supply their bases feel stupid and asking themselves why they bother to do things right.

I would guess it is because 100 RA/day is WAY less than 9k RA/day? Like 90x less?

When I figured that out, I felt like an idiot for shipping 9k RA every day.
You know why? Because it is insane, as someone pointed out.

To be clear, it is about the time needed to haul the things, not their cost.
This saves a lot on maintenance time and POB owner can do something fun instead.

About the fact, that such POBs are not on full HP all the time. On your car, do you change tires, oil (you name it) every week? Or do you wait until it is worn down? It actually makes more sense to make a bigger repairs once a weak, than doing small repairs whole day, every day.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Ayman - 03-20-2018

(03-20-2018, 11:49 AM)ronillon Wrote: When I figured that out, I felt like an idiot for shipping 9k RA every day.
Base needs 8640 RAs every 24h you can always go back to THIS it pretty much cover everything about player base

RE: Player Owned Bases - ronillon - 03-20-2018

(03-20-2018, 11:56 AM)Ayman Abdullah Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 11:49 AM)ronillon Wrote: When I figured that out, I felt like an idiot for shipping 9k RA every day.
Base needs 8640 RAs every 24h you can always go back to THIS it pretty much cover everything about player base

Thank you, as a POB builder and owner I'm of course aware of that thread.
I wrote 9k, because I'm a lazy person and I rounded that number.

Unless you are referring to 100RA/day, which should be explained by: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=159051&pid=1981539#pid1981539
It is actually 266RA/4.5days for Core1 POB.
If you want math: 8.000.000 (Core1 HP) / 30.000 (damage repaired for 1 RA) = 266,66666666666666666666666666667

RE: Player Owned Bases - Karlotta - 03-20-2018

I thought admins had voiced disapproval of this method of reducing maintenance cost, calling it exploitation of a glitch a long time ago.

Since it seems to be widespread following what's being said here, and there are bases all around not at full HP, it kind of makes me wonder why wear&tear damage repair cost/effort wasn't reduced even more.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Laura C. - 03-20-2018

(03-20-2018, 11:49 AM)ronillon Wrote:
MY Disco mentor (who showed me ore routes) came up with a way to off set costs in materials by not leaving the required crew for continuous repairs. After repair pull the crew and keep them stored in a cheap freighter on the base, and let the base degrade for 2-4 days then come back and put the crew back for repairs. Then pull them after repairs are done and this will reduce the overall cost. By accident I delivered 5k too much Robotic Hardware on a build project and He noticed that the base repair went way faster after that. The Base owner does not allow base to degrade passed one third of full health. This will save you billions in credits and hours of the supply grind in the long haul. Smart man my Disco mentor is.

Yes, this is nice example how something what was meant to help base owners to make their life easier is immediately abused by part of them. Before the mandatory attack declarations and waiting times were a thing, no one would dare to leave his base degrade. Now you see like third of them constantly being not on full health because owners feel safe. What you describe is completely out of roleplay and abuse of game mechanics, nothing else. Long time ago several base owners got even sanctioned for something similar (not supllying the bases with FOW, just letting the crew die and once a week just deliver missing amount of crew). The crew "stored" on a freighter idea to prevent it from dying but also consuming FOW is not much better and it calls for adminteam´s attention in my opinion. It makes people who properly supply their bases feel stupid and asking themselves why they bother to do things right.

I would guess it is because 100 RA/day is WAY less than 9k RA/day? Like 90x less?

This saves a lot on maintenance time and POB owner can do something fun instead.

About the fact, that such POBs are not on full HP all the time. On your car, do you change tires, oil (you name it) every week? Or do you wait until it is worn down? It actually makes more sense to make a bigger repairs once a weak, than doing small repairs whole day, every day.

That is not fitting example, because worst thing it can happen is that your car will broke and you would have to repair it or call paid assistance. Much better example, if we want to use vehicles, is armoured track used for patrols in dangerous zone. Would you not make small repairs every day if your life would depend on the truck being in best condition possible because you never know when you will be attacked? Because - now back to Disco reality - we talk here about vulnerable space stations which are often in dangerous areas and can be attacked in any moment inRP becase there almost always some terrorists or criminals around. And inRP attackers do not have to send warning and then wait 8 or even 24 hours. In such case, you do your best to be ready because your life and life of everyone on the station may depend on condition of the base.

However, I mainly criticised abuse of game mechanics when crew is again used as expendable lifeless material what is total ooRP attitude in the vast majority of cases. If you want to make repairs once a week, fine, but do it correctly in roleplay. Like at least load the crew on the nearest station, transport them to the POB, let them repair it and then transport them back. But letting them die on purpose or "store" them on ships like turned off robots is not okay.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Darkseid667 - 04-08-2018

(03-20-2018, 12:35 PM)Laura C. Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 11:49 AM)ronillon Wrote:

That is not fitting example, because worst thing it can happen is that your car will broke and you would have to repair it or call paid assistance. Much better example, if we want to use vehicles, is armoured track used for patrols in dangerous zone. Would you not make small repairs every day if your life would depend on the truck being in best condition possible because you never know when you will be attacked? Because - now back to Disco reality - we talk here about vulnerable space stations which are often in dangerous areas and can be attacked in any moment inRP becase there almost always some terrorists or criminals around. And inRP attackers do not have to send warning and then wait 8 or even 24 hours. In such case, you do your best to be ready because your life and life of everyone on the station may depend on condition of the base.

However, I mainly criticised abuse of game mechanics when crew is again used as expendable lifeless material what is total ooRP attitude in the vast majority of cases. If you want to make repairs once a week, fine, but do it correctly in roleplay. Like at least load the crew on the nearest station, transport them to the POB, let them repair it and then transport them back. But letting them die on purpose or "store" them on ships like turned off robots is not okay.

Heck, I don't see any factions shipping 8600 RA daily into their official bases like Dortmund, Essen, The Ring and Oder shipyard just for RP.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Laura C. - 04-08-2018

You also don´t see those factions having liberty to place those bases almost anywhere they want to, use them as ore storages (with opportunity to make profit on the re-selling) or manufacturing special equipment like cloaks on them (again with opportunity to make profit on it). Looks pretty balanced to me.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Karlotta - 04-09-2018

Bump.

RE: Player Owned Bases - Karlotta - 07-02-2018

bump