Discovery Gaming Community
Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? (/showthread.php?tid=159093)

Pages: 1 2

Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Irishacana - 03-15-2018

Hey everyone, I have played Freelancer Discovery for many years but never really got into Mining. I recently created a character that works for DSE, pilots a Hegemon and mines in Alberta. I was wondering whether you guys find mining to be fun and/or rewarding? I really enjoy finding new trade routes and calculating which ones are the most profitable, discovering new stations or systems I haven't visited before is what I enjoy the most about Freelancer Discovery.

Question 1: In terms of mining, is shooting little space rocks fun for you guys or do you find it boring or tedious after a while?
Question 2: I encounter many transports with 5000 ore -- how much time does it take to actually acquire that much ore to fill a large transport? (hauler)

Just wondering what the community's thoughts are regarding mining, I have read it is very profitable but I'm not certain it is the best profession for me after trying it out for a few days. Any tips or tricks on how to mine are much appreciated, I have read various Mining Guides but many seem to be labelled as outdated.

Thomas_Walsh
DSE Miner

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - LaWey - 03-15-2018

(03-15-2018, 09:34 PM)Irishacana Wrote: Question 1: In terms of mining, is shooting little space rocks fun for you guys or do you find it boring or tedious after a while?
Honestly - not. I'm especially try do one-time PoB's filling, like of 30 min of gameplay if you have friend on transport.
(03-15-2018, 09:34 PM)Irishacana Wrote: Question 2: I encounter many transports with 5000 ore -- how much time does it take to actually acquire that much ore to fill a large transport? (hauler)
Just use PoBs for distribute. Direct mining need too much match in time-zones/playing time between miner and trader.

Also use small PoBs in mining fields to accumulate resourses fast in solo, then can transit it on distribution PoB. I'm more see mining as thing which do additional trade routes, but not as thing for playing itself.

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Jadon King - 03-15-2018

Answer 1: It's very relaxing for me to head out and mine Ore, it's a very zen experience for me and it's nice when you just need to cool off.

Answer 2: That's either a PoB that's filled prior to the 5ker, or they got a friend to fill them up. Depending on the ore it doesn't take long to fill. Raw Diamonds and Gold ore for example can be mined in high amounts with the correct ID's.

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - OldMiner - 03-15-2018

For me I enjoy mining, It can include exploration, surviving the pirates who tend to attack first before opening dialogue. Even firing a cruise disruptor missile is a pre-emptive attack and often done before the enevitable hail of stop,
It is rewarding and encourages the miner to improve his rep constructively and also encourages you to find alternative routes to the best pay out. ( If you use the forum tuts to find ore and the best sell points you are not playing the game to the full extent)

If you use the right equipment, ID and in the right place to mine then filling "a friends" transport does not take long but using PoBs is better, then you can use your own transport.

Miners are a great breed and very supportive to most other players and faction who are quick to capitilise on the profits.

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Irishacana - 03-15-2018

(03-15-2018, 10:01 PM)OldMiner Wrote: For me I enjoy mining, It can include exploration, surviving the pirates who tend to attack first before opening dialogue. Even firing a cruise disruptor missile is a pre-emptive attack and often done before the enevitable hail of stop,
It is rewarding and encourages the miner to improve his rep constructively and also encourages you to find alternative routes to the best pay out. ( If you use the forum tuts to find ore and the best sell points you are not playing the game to the full extent)

If you use the right equipment, ID and in the right place to mine then filling "a friends" transport does not take long but using PoBs is better, then you can use your own transport.

Miners are a great breed and very supportive to most other players and faction who are quick to capitilise on the profits.

Thank you very much for clarifying this! From what I gather, I could hypothetically mine all the ore on my Mining character working for DSE, sell it all to the local POB that buys/sell the ore for $3500 a piece and buy it all from my primary character with my Stork Transport? I had never even considered doing that, I wasn't sure it is wasn't breaking any rules or anything. If this is accurate, I will definitely try this out this evening.

Thank you all for your insight & perspective on Mining, it is sincerely appreciated.

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - JorgeRyan - 03-15-2018

I like to mine while chilling out to a movie/lets play/video on my 2nd screen. So its not necessarily fun in of itself (although some fields are really nice and easy to mine *cough* Xeno relics *cough*), but can be a good way to occupy yourself.

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Mickk - 03-19-2018

I don't mine, however, I have seen a number of people who do and one thing I see a lot of is 'teams' of people helping to mine and fill large transports.

This seems to me to be the best way to do it, you get a little RP, people to talk with while the mining is happening, protection from the 'bad guys' (also RP!) and after all is said and done some credits as well.

I can think of worse things to do with your time.

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - OrignlGaminGeneration (OGG) - 03-19-2018

If you do end up mining alone and another miner shows up, ask to trade off filling each others transports. Most of us do that. One thing to consider is the name of your Mining Ship. If your ship's name has any hint to mining it will paint a big bullseye target in Broadcast Channel and pirates will show up. I listen to instrumental music while mining and hauling. Helps pass the time doing the grind for credits after awhile. This is what I listen to the most. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XgLlEbaJx4 One more bit that is extremely important and that is read the Mining Guide on Mining Zones, Mining ID, Mining ships and where to put your mining turrets for Mining bonuses. This will make all the difference in how fast you can fill a transport. For DSE you will need the house mining ship of Liberty and it is the Rhino Freighter with mining turrets in slots 4,5,6 and 7 for mining bonuses. The time it will take you to fill your hegemon once the Rhino with the 4 mining turrets can do it 10 times over so don't pay attention to the cargo capacity. Here is the mining thread- https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=155629

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Marvin - 03-20-2018

(03-15-2018, 10:20 PM)Irishacana Wrote: Thank you very much for clarifying this! From what I gather, I could hypothetically mine all the ore on my Mining character working for DSE, sell it all to the local POB that buys/sell the ore for $3500 a piece and buy it all from my primary character with my Stork Transport?

Ofcourse you can, at POB's like copper_storage_depot for example.

With a good miner (all fits, like iff, id etc) this is the best way to make money solo i heared of until now. And sure, some trader coming by some times and you can fill them the cargo for a bit cheaper then they can buy at the POB.

POB can get full so you have to go to sell it with a trader to get space for mining again. Consider some trips to New Tokyo and bring some cash for the Pirates :-)

edit: i invest from time to time some millions into POB i use a lot as it is not mine, some POB owner might ask you to help maintain with wares if you can. You can get some interesting info about POB's with console comands if docked.

edit: i also recomend an agile small miner to quick dock and mine... $$$$$

RE: Is Mining Fun or Rewarding for you? - Ayman - 03-20-2018

For me mining is fun and i enjoy it and my share in the profit goes for the base as later it goes for the members as salaries, basically i get 0 profit for mining and i dont mind mining for hours continuously specially after updating the shiny floating rocks in Dublin it became much better for my poor eyes "Special thank for the mining Dev. team who did it" now its even more enjoyable for me to mine without hurting my eyes Big Grin

Mining alone or filling a player base alone is boring. Mining = group interaction, its a group job not for individuals in my opinion but i would understand if there is a player who fly solo and it is not easy for him to find another one to mine with him because sometimes i face this problem myself that the members "friends" can not be all together online in the same time for a time zone difference or RL reasons.