Discovery Gaming Community
Remove weapon platforms from POB - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remove weapon platforms from POB (/showthread.php?tid=159368)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - St.Denis - 11-02-2019

And yet again another Thread where people disagree on POBs and Weapon Platforms (WPs).

Quote:I really don't see a better solution than removing them entirely at this time, especially with the potential benefits to server load. No weapon platforms have ever impeded a concerted siege effort, but they have caused a lot of grief over the years.

Most POBs, from my awareness, do not have WPs. Those that do, do not fire most of the time (Goldern Coin, I can almost guarantee doesn't fire its WPs 99% of the time). I don't think that they cause much, if any, Server Load. If they did, I would suggest getting rid of NPC weapons, from Bases, as they spend a lot of the day firing. When the POB plugin has been disabled, for any reason, I have never noticed any change in Server Load/Stability.

Quote:Weapon platforms don't deter sieges - they thing they're supposed to do.
To some people they give a sense of security, whether false or otherwise. The sense of security could be that their Base is a safe from being sieged or that it gives a place of 'safe haven' from the 'bad' guys.

Quote:but they are really fun
Yes, it is subjective. But so is everything else that goes on on this Server. I find shooting things continuously, whether it be sieging a Base or going from one fight to another (or even being in Conn), boring. It is my opinion. I don't mind the occasional fight (some people thrive on spending hours doing combat).

People/Groups build, and maintain, multiple POBs, so there must be something there that some of you others do not get

We all forget that this Game has a multitude of things for people to do. Not everything is everyone's 'cup of tea'. Just because you do not like doing an aspect of the Game, doesn't mean that others don't. Just get on with your Game and let others do/play what they want to.

I hear some say that this is a Space Shooter Game, well, at one point that was possibly true. But it has progressed and become something different. If it hasn't, then how come that those Servers that mainly dealt with a combat only side, 'died a death'?

To save time from me writing my walls of text (more than I already have) I will refer my responses to SnakThree's original posted questions:
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=159368&pid=1982759#pid1982759

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Jeuge - 11-02-2019

I think it would be interesting to reduce the range of the shot

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Paddy. - 11-02-2019

(11-02-2019, 09:26 PM)St.Denis Wrote: I hear some say that this is a Space Shooter Game, well, at one point that was possibly true. But it has progressed and become something different. If it hasn't, then how come that those Servers that mainly dealt with a combat only side, 'died a death'?

Nicely said. There are manifold reasons to play this game. Including modding, RP on forums, etc.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Binski - 11-03-2019

(11-02-2019, 09:26 PM)St.Denis Wrote: I hear some say that this is a Space Shooter Game, well, at one point that was possibly true. But it has progressed and become something different. If it hasn't, then how come that those Servers that mainly dealt with a combat only side, 'died a death'?

I agree for sure. I know I suggest more combat options but my real point is that when the options are there, more situations occur freely, and the RP that comes from activity with more depth is also better. Personally I'm not in the position to launch a fleet for siege anything, but I'd run supply, scout, pirate or bounty hunt supply ships, etc. I'd like to believe we can still do what was always done here, and use the shooter aspect to simulate conflict and rp around it. For those who wish to avoid it, I doubt that will be hard. I wouldnt want to see us go all out arcade, but I don't think the server should become a quiet trading only game either.