Discovery Gaming Community
Remove weapon platforms from POB - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remove weapon platforms from POB (/showthread.php?tid=159368)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Bellepheron - 03-23-2018

It is interesting to see opinions on what is fair and what is not, These opinions clearly reflect the side of the fence (law) the persons sits. PoB owners want to protect their investment of time and resources with adequate defence, quite rightly, while the pirate and outlaw would like an easier task to obtain thier plunder. While I would agree that Defence Modules should only fire if fired upon their existence is essential.
To expand upon this abilty to defend yourself and property, armed conflict is a dangerous game and all side do what ever is possible to win the day. While war itself is subject to international laws and the use of certain weapons are banned with severe reprisals the deterant, such weapons are not available on Discovery. However either side in any. ingame. conflict should be able to amass his force with any tactic to achieve their aim and mission. An example is 2 or more players "ganking" on a single ship that has perhaps invaded someone space. There are those that state this is unfair. I would so "No it is not". Is cloaking in a fight wrong only to attack from a different direction bad form? If it is the the tactics used in Star Trek are also bad form. Any tactic to win the fight is the right tactic as long as you conform to those international laws.

SO keep the Weapon Platforms, practice your skills, improve your interplayer comms and better your tactics to win the fight or achieve your aim beit military, law enforcing, mining, trading, pirating or what ever.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - SnakThree - 04-26-2018

Now that the bases are easier to maintain, can we perhaps remove this piece of crap?

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Bellepheron - 04-26-2018

Bases are only easier to maintain if they have not been blown to pieces by those thinking only of their own joy in shooting all they see. To build any establishment without security is pure folly. Would any high priced establishment be constructed without first thinking or implementing good security. True that not every thing is 100% secure but PoB owners ave a right to defend their investment with a defence plan.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Laura C. - 04-26-2018

(04-26-2018, 03:46 PM)SnakThree Wrote: Now that the bases are easier to maintain, can we perhaps remove this piece of crap?
But that piece is not related to the maintaining of the bases in any way. I still really don´t think it is good idea to leave the bases completely unprotectected because it´s making the job for sieging party significantly easier, considering platforms now matters when they can not be neutralised by exploiting a bug like in the past.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Sand_Spider - 04-26-2018

I didn't want to be the one to dig this thread up again, but since someone else did it for me, I feel more comfortable re-posting this in a proper section.

I actually almost wonder if we could just like, have PoBs emit a heavy radiation field instead of having weapons platforms? Or maybe an EMP pulsing weapon to drain the powercore of attackers that turns on when the shields are up? We would need *something* to replace them, because removing them without a replacement is just an open invitation to Siege All The Things.

Bases need SOMETHING to be able to defend themselves. Otherwise, we'll just have multiple pirate/quasi-lawful factions extorting the same base for monthly fees. No one is going to want to deal with that.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Wesker - 04-26-2018

I agree.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Laura C. - 04-26-2018

(04-26-2018, 04:34 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: I actually almost wonder if we could just like, have PoBs emit a heavy radiation field instead of having weapons platforms? Or maybe an EMP pulsing weapon to drain the powercore of attackers that turns on when the shields are up?

This does not sound balanced towards the attackers on the other hand. With platforms there is still possibility to find some dead angle or shooting position out of their range. With above mentioned any tactics to reduce damage of attacker is not possible.

Unfortunately balancing POB stuff is quite hard and in some cases like this when one mechanics is used for several different scenarios is more a nightmare.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Karlotta - 04-26-2018

(04-26-2018, 04:34 PM)Sand_Spider Wrote: I didn't want to be the one to dig this thread up again, but since someone else did it for me, I feel more comfortable re-posting this in a proper section.

I actually almost wonder if we could just like, have PoBs emit a heavy radiation field instead of having weapons platforms? Or maybe an EMP pulsing weapon to drain the powercore of attackers that turns on when the shields are up? We would need *something* to replace them, because removing them without a replacement is just an open invitation to Siege All The Things.

Bases need SOMETHING to be able to defend themselves. Otherwise, we'll just have multiple pirate/quasi-lawful factions extorting the same base for monthly fees. No one is going to want to deal with that.

I don't see what advantage a radiation field or pulse cannons would have over weapons platforms. No matter how you try to rebalance seige mechanics, this will always stay true:

1. The most powerful or numerous clique will be the one to blow up the base, independently of how good their motives or RP are

2. There will be players who build bases where game mechanics make it appear advantageous and rules permit it

3. They will feel treated extremely unfairly when their month long work gets destroyed although they did nothing wrong according to rules and mechanics

But there is something better than base destruction to reduce frustration around bases:

Non-destructive positive incentives to build bases in locations where they're protected by other NPC bases and players, encourage positive player interactions, focus activity to pirate routes, and don't make the owner fly long empty distances and avoid contact.

Players (new and old) should be guided by experienced players that posses authority and abilities (OFLs, Governments, Admins, Devs) to do so.

But unfortunately many of the people who have the ability to improve these things either don't understand it, don't have the will, or are the type that enjoy gloating at other people's misery when they get beat up for doing something that the combination of mod balancing, server rules, and house laws actually encourage them to do. Plus we have a community that makes it necessary to fight unbelievable amounts of hypocrisy and stupidity for months to get even the simplest and most necessary improvements through. Few have the super-human patience to do that.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Sand_Spider - 04-26-2018

(04-26-2018, 04:47 PM)Laura C. Wrote: This does not sound balanced towards the attackers on the other hand. With platforms there is still possibility to find some dead angle or shooting position out of their range. With above mentioned any tactics to reduce damage of attacker is not possible.

Unfortunately balancing POB stuff is quite hard and in some cases like this when one mechanics is used for several different scenarios is more a nightmare.

Speaking of dead-angles on weapons platforms, I kinda wonder if Scorcher-Waran spam would be enough dps to kill a PoB?

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - SnakThree - 10-31-2019

BUMP