Discovery Gaming Community
Remove weapon platforms from POB - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remove weapon platforms from POB (/showthread.php?tid=159368)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Hubjump - 11-01-2019

Honestly POB's have Frick all to save them if not for platforms.
People log during other players sleep times.
Look at what happened in Bretonia on the Enclave front recently we had some Russians late night logging and stomping out random pobs which no one was awake to stand a chance defending.
If anything their defences might need to be reworked sure but fricking heck they can not be removed else each and every pob will get Wesker'd in a matter of days.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - SnakThree - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 11:28 AM)Hubjump Wrote: Honestly POB's have Frick all to save them if not for platforms.
People log during other players sleep times.
Look at what happened in Bretonia on the Enclave front recently we had some Russians late night logging and stomping out random pobs which no one was awake to stand a chance defending.
If anything their defences might need to be reworked sure but fricking heck they can not be removed else each and every pob will get Wesker'd in a matter of days.

You talking about Core 1 or 2 POBs that were built in contested system that not even weapon platforms could save. Honestly, people don't realize that it's not weapon platforms that protects POBs. It's good position that is both, inRP and ooRP suitable. There are not enough people that care to shoot down for three or four straight days to take down Core 3, 4 or 5 POBs. While Core 1 and Core 2 can't be protected with weapon platforms even if people want to take them down.

And during all of this, there are POBs with weapon platforms that actually inhibits gameplay or straight out ruins it for some people.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - LaWey - 11-01-2019

Quote:There are not enough people that care to shoot down for three or four straight days to take down Core 3, 4 or 5 POBs
But there is. If not WP, we would've remove Siloso much faster, because without WP even solo guy can continue siege. With WP there always need 2 guys (sieger +1 repair ship).

So we had need to more or less equialise logging time, that not something what people can do more than for some days, maybe week. So in really WP work a bit. Of course they dont garantee safety to PoB, but force siegers to other patterns of tactic which could be benefitical to defenders.

Well, i mean,now i agree that WPs bring more damage to gameplay than proft, but removing them without some alternative not good.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Felipe - 11-01-2019

Honestly Snak either dont realize what the pobs mean for their factions, or realize and want to see both the pobs and their factions gone, or have a personal grudge with someone or some group...

In a real siege against a core 4, any siege crew that deserve such name have ppl circling pobs in snubs to attract its fire, if the WP's are well placed, or find their blind spots and all BS's sit their asses there, WP arent by any mean really efficient against "Wesker level" pob demolishers;

On other hand, 4 well placed WP's prevent a core 3 mining pob from getting erased in few hours by any lol group that decided to attack it "cuz lol why not", thus giving defenders a chance of logging. Is already bad enough that after pob owners realized that they could use NEMP's on the bases defense, it been changed and the billions used on em been wasted for nothing cuz (as always) the lazy cancers cried about...

As area deniers, also they arent decent, as for example ive used to mine next to an pob hostile to me in Lolberty, just needing keep straffing while doing it, as most WP's used for pob defense are cerbs, they mean 0 treath to any experienced snub player (finest example was me being alive in unarmored miner, anyone that met me in snub combat know im useless in a snub *too*).

As i see, one person is trying to change the entire system because his personal grudge against someone/some group, i do hope that devs end this long going "trend" of messing with the game to please some "once-permabanned-guy" that cry about.

And finally, i would like to (again) praise @St.Denis that as usual have lucid and logic arguments.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - LaWey - 11-01-2019

Snak3 dont have grudges here tbh. He just probably, speaking from liberty experience, where PoBs works indeed so. Like, while you keep its non shooting and not placed in stupid location, you with 80-90% chance wont be sieged. But in same time, liberty probably top on WP area denial pobs (Texas, NY, Bering)

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Felipe - 11-01-2019

I never met a pob around of wich i could not fly in snub, if the pob has solaris WP's, siege it, if it have cerbs, they cant touch you...

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - kerfy - 11-01-2019

(03-23-2018, 12:12 PM)SnakThree Wrote: It is bad for gameplay. Please remove.

Prove me wrong if you can.

prove yerself right .. funny logic there... you may want to define what you mean by gameplay as well.. it seems you have your own idea as to what good gameplay is.. in this instance ...

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - SnakThree - 11-01-2019

If only people read the thread before making comments. Now that would be a good change for once.

(03-23-2018, 01:46 PM)SnakThree Wrote: 1. Weapon platforms are too safe. There's no drawback to having them built. Perhaps change to require Munitions to sustain them would force players to consider their need.

2. Weapon platforms enables toxic gameplay such as constant running back to POB safety while refusing to admit defeat and yield by either blowing up or combat docking. People have high egos and would rather be toxic than humble.

3. Weapon platforms act as area-denial. In case of mining field POB - it almost completely negates pirate threat. And pirates have no counter to that. "Go pirate traders" is not a solution to this, as miners are effectively taking themselves out of equation of activity cycle involving pirates.

4. They are not anti-siege. Sieging Core 1 or 2 bases with few platforms is not hard IF you have Battleships. Sieging Core 3 or 4 bases without platforms is hard even if you have battleships. As such, back to point 2 and 3.

Now please, tell me, when did Weapon Platforms ever created better interactions or gameplay?

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Binski - 11-01-2019

Well wasn't it a thing you needed munitions to replace a WP backs when they first were introduced?

I suppose it might work well to require something like 100 units of munitions to be consumed every time a WP was taken out and replaced. So 1000 munitions would give a single WP 10 respawns, and so on. The module slot itself could stay indefinitely, it just wouldn't lay a new one until the commodity was back up.

So during a base siege the defender would need to eventually run for more ammo or have it shipped in, and the attacking side could eventually gain a better advantage by prioritizing around the WP's first. I suppose that doesn't help the odd passing trader who gets annoyed by them if they pass too close, but you could then just come back in another (capital) ship later (drop an attack notice), and start knocking them off slowly, even for something to do. I wouldnt make it too easy though. Then at least its something that makes players trade more for defense, and becomes another valuable cunsumable. Inrp laws might make a demand for munitions touchy too.

I don't know though if thats easily doable but it doesn't sound impossible. And then Agiera would have a boom in munitions customers. Even BMM's could be a cheap 1/2 rate ammo, illegal option' and thats if some factions don't sieze munitions on sight as a policy.

RE: Remove weapon platforms from POB - Saronsen - 11-01-2019

(03-23-2018, 12:12 PM)SnakThree Wrote: Prove me wrong if you can.

(11-01-2019, 07:00 PM)SnakThree Wrote: If only people read the thread before making comments. Now that would be a good change for once.

im not going back to 2018 to read anything you posted and im not going to skim through all this tl;dr especially when your suggestion is pointless

youre making this post in a kneejerk response to some smuggler who refused to pay his fine and can't figure out how to change his name after being told how to, and was getting murdered by an LPI pob for his troubles

you remove platforms, and besides the bases dead smack in Liberty and occasionally bretonia, every PoB is now defenseless since everyone and their mother has a battleship out there to siege for a few hours every day, making pobs an expensive, time consuming, and mentally painful endeavor to own and operate (more than they are now)

so removing platforms does nothing but make gameplay worse, but your head is so far up your ass you won't see anything but PLATFORMS BAD, despite them no longer being an issue anywhere but at planet manhattan.

the only solution is the absolute removal of PoBs (which im in favor of) with the PoB equipment being put on stations (preferably connecticut) or for them to remain untouched until a better solution arrives

i've proved you wrong.

Lets tone it down just a little - Connor