Discovery Gaming Community
Carrier Class Ships - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Carrier Class Ships (/showthread.php?tid=159503)

Pages: 1 2

Carrier Class Ships - OrignlGaminGeneration (OGG) - 03-27-2018

To: Devs,
  • Hello, after having some battle engagements with Valors and Gallic cruisers in the Bretonian Carrier "Invincible" I realized that the Carrier Class ships are missing one component to what makes a Carrier effective in battle and that is fighter squadrons to launch. So (if the game mechanics will allow) how about UAVs as a weapons option in Class 8 Heavy slot for "Carriers "only ( no other ship including Valors. Carriers only). I would ask that, if possible, there be 5 individual UAVs with the speed and agility of light fighters with their full after burners on when launched per shot. What I was thinking was the same specs on refire rate as Hellbores with the hit rate DIVIDED by 5 for each UAV with the range extended to 5k and since it is controlled by the imaginary crew on the Carrier, it should not be susceptible to Counter Measures (UAV is controlled via remote operator and are not fooled by CM) it's only weakness should be Cap ships flak and fire and it should be difficult at that. Its turn rate should be 8+ with an initial fanning out before turning to it's target and then striking from multiple random vectors doing moves of a veteran fighter pilot at the same time ( this is what they would do in real life UAV to break up the anti fighter flak and fire consentration).
    • The cruisers under the control of a half decent turret steering player has no equal or weakness against Other Cap ships especially the Gallic Cruisers. This will redress the need for balance in the War aspect of Disco. In real life no cruiser would EVER get close to a first world Carrier and be able to launch Light mortars and destroy a Carrier. It would be intercepted by squadron after squadron on any missile, torpedo and gun fire and destroyed before ever getting close enough for Mortars. This will not make the Carriers effective against Valors but it will against the cruisers. No class of ship should have the type of dominance against all Cap ships that the Gallic Cruisers have. Also how about giving the Dunkirk class ship of Bretonia 5 Heavy slots, 4 Primary and 12 secondary slots with the same specs on shields, armor and energy rate as Valors so we can get people back to the BAF ID and Bretonia in general. Having made such a mismatch in capabilities has killed any real interest in the Bretonian war effort. The numbers are low except in the fighter class BAF. Bretonia needs a Cruiser class as well to counter Valors and battle cruisers.

RE: Carrier Class Ships - Darkseid667 - 03-27-2018

At least one other freelancer mod had working AI controlled wingmen (forgot the name), and the Crossfire mod had NPC doing improved maneuvers, so it should be possible. But since the docking modules don't work even for human-controlled vessels the implementation of fighter squadrons launching and maybe landing could be difficult.

Rockets that look like suicide fighters could be possible, however...

RE: Carrier Class Ships - Enkidu - 03-27-2018

Carriers shouldn't require docking modules, imo.

RE: Carrier Class Ships - sasapinjic - 03-27-2018

It was discussed several times of implementing NPC for Carriers , bottom line is , DONT ever expect it to see that here , it will never be implemented , even if Docking modules are fixed !

[Image: 4695672.jpg]

^ Bretonia Carrier quality btw !

RE: Carrier Class Ships - OrignlGaminGeneration (OGG) - 03-27-2018

I do not think you understood what I proposed. Not NPC or Docking ring. The heavy slots firing UAV would not require NPCs. UAV is Unmanned Ariel Vehicle and it would not require docking ring nor return to the ship since it would be kamakazi type UAVs. It would be like shooting remote controlled missiles controlled by the imaginary crew that is on every Cap ship. This would be a weapons option for Carriers not requiring NPC OR Docking Ring.

RE: Carrier Class Ships - sasapinjic - 03-27-2018

It is called Docking modules , docking ring is thingy that snubs dock-on planets .

[Image: freelancer-11.jpg]

And it donsent mater anyway , snub loby will never allow implementation of something that can launch NPC or UAV or anything else on them in numbers that can be any serious threat to them .

RE: Carrier Class Ships - Thunderer - 03-27-2018

The Bretonian "Invincible"-class carrier is a good ship, but only in certain situation, and if used right.

However, the Bretonian "Dunkirk"-class battleship is by far the best and the most beautiful ship in the game, out of all that exist, save the admin ones, and can easily outplay a Valor (Gallic battleship) or an Obstinate (Gallic battlecruiser), or anything that attacks it, in both solo and fleet battles -- IF USED RIGHT!

I've already trained many people to use it. Would you like to appoint a training?

PS: Concerning Bretonia, we're alright with our number of people. The only thing wrong is that there is not enough Gallic players, so there's no one to kill. If you see a Gallic ship, it is probably one of us, flying a Gallic ship. Sometimes we have to raid ourselves to get anything going on Big Grin

RE: Carrier Class Ships - OrignlGaminGeneration (OGG) - 03-27-2018

(03-27-2018, 03:50 PM)Thunderer Wrote: The Bretonian "Invincible"-class carrier is a good ship, but only in certain situation, and if used right.

However, the Bretonian "Dunkirk"-class battleship is by far the best and the most beautiful ship in the game, out of all that exist, save the admin ones, and can easily outplay a Valor (Gallic battleship) or an Obstinate (Gallic battlecruiser), or anything that attacks it, in both solo and fleet battles -- IF USED RIGHT!

I've already trained many people to use it. Would you like to appoint a training?

PS: Concerning Bretonia, we're alright with our number of people. The only thing wrong is that there is not enough Gallic players, so there's no one to kill. If you see a Gallic ship, it is probably one of us, flying a Gallic ship. Sometimes we have to raid ourselves to get anything going on Big Grin
The Bret Carrier is indeed outstanding against snubs. I have won against 2-3 Gallic SHFs multiple times and taken on 5 molly mixed squadron once and won (barely) and against different pirate ships and gunboats. The 2 bombers were the first thing I took out in the 5 ship squadron of Mollys. As far as the Dunkirk I have not tried it. The Indies that have Dunkirk Class would not even join me in a joint attack against a Valor in Dublin, New Castle and Manchester. I even offered to do the close combat while they fired their Hurricanes and Nightmare torps from a 3 k distance and always the same answer " No. That is a Valor". I figured that if Devs would up the specs on Dunkirk then they might grow some balls and join the Bretonian War effort. I even went and took my Gunboat against the Cruiser Lyon in New London recently because there was no one else around to stand up and that maybe lasted 1 minute of battle. When I get a Dunkirk I will seek you out for your training program. In the mean time how about offering training to the Indie Dunkirk so they would get the "soldier" mentality instead of "warrior" thinking. Soldiers win wars, Warriors die and have statues erected to inspire the masses.

RE: Carrier Class Ships - TheShooter36 - 03-27-2018

While i am not as good as Thunderer, i think i can train you or anyone who wants. (especially on CR ships as we have heavier alternatives to stand against Gaul threat now)

RE: Carrier Class Ships - Thunderer - 03-27-2018

(03-27-2018, 09:49 PM)OrignlGaminGeneration Wrote: I even offered to do the close combat while they fired their Hurricanes and Nightmare torps from a 3 k distance and always the same answer " No. That is a Valor".

Stress on the "A". A Valor. One Valor. This means that they didn't want to join you because they didn't want to treat the player behind the Valor unfairly. 2 vs 1 is unfair. They were not afraid, they just thought you could kill him alone. If you can't, you should have offered them to kill it instead, while you would stay in reserve in case something unpredictable happens, like another Valor arriving, or your mate losing connection. The battle they will not lose.

(03-27-2018, 09:49 PM)OrignlGaminGeneration Wrote: In the mean time how about offering training to the Indie Dunkirk so they would get the "soldier" mentality instead of "warrior" thinking. Soldiers win wars, Warriors die and have statues erected to inspire the masses.

I already do that, and what you pointed out about soldier vs warrior is part of my training, but I explain it differently. To me, it is Romans vs barbarians. This means that, even if you have great personal skill, you will contribute to the general effort minimally if you do not coordinate with others. On the other hand, even if your skill in duels is average, you can contribute a great deal in a fleet battle if you coordinate well with others. A single barbarian will beat a single Roman. However, a Roman army will beat a barbarian army. Coordination and discipline.

Still, this is not needed if your opponent is just 1 Valor. We, in the BAF|, treat our opponents fairly so that they would come again, otherwise we would have nothing to shoot at. So, we don't gank them with 2 ships on 1, or a gunboat against a fighter, or similar. At least if we're just having a normal pew, but if we're defending a convoy with cargo, or a POB, then we'll use all that is necessary.

PS: Don't listen to Shooter (except the part where he says he's not as good as me Smile ). The BAF are approximately 1001 times better than the CR, no matter their fancy high-tech shiny toys! Some people need fancy toys, some people can actually do the job right.