Discovery Gaming Community
I want to try this... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: I want to try this... (/showthread.php?tid=159925)

I want to try this... - Wawander - 04-07-2018

Hi everyone!
Im a new player, beat freelancer campaign just recently, i heard many things about this game but never played it until now. I liked the game, wanted more, and somehow learned about discovery, wanted to try it. So i was playing for a couple of months, getting used to the universe. I still don't know much and always forgetting some important things, there was some unwanted situations because of that. Im not a native english speaker, so there could be some issues. And im not that good at roleplaying, also don't like the idea of spending so much time on the forums, its still a concept i need to get used to. But i really want to be a part of all this, so i ask for help and guidance. Is there a faction/playergroup where i won't have a hard time staying active and roleplaying, and roleplay itself would be interesting? Currently, i would like to try rp'ing as a Gammu AI Drone, and as far as i know it is in sort of "rebirth" stage as a player faction so it needs new members...
Thanks for taking time to read this.

RE: I want to try this... - Kazinsal - 04-07-2018

It's always good to see new players around here. Don't worry about your English, it's perfectly fine. And trust me, you'll get used to roleplaying as you spend more time doing it both in game and on the forums. Soon it'll be completely natural to you.

Welcome to Discovery!

RE: I want to try this... - Enkidu - 04-07-2018

Your English is exceptional. : 3

RE: I want to try this... - Megaera - 04-07-2018

Hello Smile

RE: I want to try this... - Alestone - 04-07-2018

Not trying to dig into your personal life, but tell us a bit more about what you like in the game and what you would like to achieve. The RP for different factions varies a lot.

If you are looking for PvP, the Liberty/outlaw territory has a lot of it.

While Connecticut is not technically a social location, it is an accepted place to have Out of Character discussions because it is not in the lore environment. you can get there with a ship not carrying cargo by entering /conn in the chat window and undocking. Go there when you see folks in Connecticut and you can ask questions.

RE: I want to try this... - Wawander - 04-07-2018

(04-07-2018, 04:39 PM)Chance Wrote: Not trying to dig into your personal life, but tell us a bit more about what you like in the game and what you would like to achieve. The RP for different factions varies a lot.

If you are looking for PvP, the Liberty/outlaw territory has a lot of it.

While Connecticut is not technically a social location, it is an accepted place to have Out of Character discussions because it is not in the lore environment. you can get there with a ship not carrying cargo by entering /conn in the chat window and undocking. Go there when you see folks in Connecticut and you can ask questions.

Im not that good at rp, most of my lone characters are just plain and simple, but with just a little quirk to them. But i created a Corsair char once, bought a cruiser for him, and there was some other Corsair guys that we're heading for some battle event i guess, and they decided to bring me along... so, that was fun as hell... even though i died in the end. Sorry for a little story there, i guess my favorite role would be someone who can support in battles or other things.

Most of one on one fights ended up poorly for me, not really a PvP guy. Or just need to get used to the mechanics.

Thanks for the tip, haven't thought of that myself.

RE: I want to try this... - Alestone - 04-08-2018

So, for Corsair characters, general roles are pirates, military and, occasionally, traders.

RP is easiest described as putting yourself in your character's mind and making those responses. The best way to do that is to figure out who your character is in advance.

Quote:Quick Example:
Juan Rodriguez is the commander of the pirate raider Huntress. While he believes that raiding the core worlds to support the Empire is a legitimate tactic, he hasn't forgotten that the ship on the other is still crewed by people. This leads him to using force only when necessary. He is civil until provoked, but doesn't tolerate people that try to take liberties.

That little bit right there gives you some ideas of how the person you are playing acts. As long as you think about it in advance, you should be able to come up with how the character will react in given situations. Once you get used to it, it becomes easier. A classic example is to take someone you like in a movie and figure out how they will act based on the movie's situations.

RE: I want to try this... - JorgeRyan - 04-08-2018

Hey, I see someone mentioned corsairs? :3

Add me on skype and I can add you to the Corsair Indie Skype Channel, where we organize raids/activities, and you can ask for advice/help for anything related to disco too (not just corsairs, although that is the most common topic).

Name: david.ryan.proud@outlook.com

As @Chance said, Corsairs are mostly pirates, so our characters tend to go after traders more often than not, and we'll attack police/military if we have too. Unless we are doing a raid, in which fighting the police or navy is our main goal, and thats where the cruisers and battleships get their use.

As for trading, our main focus their is smuggling Artifacts (and Xeno Relics) to the Houses, and bringing back supplies for Crete, particually Black Market Weaponry and Premium/Military Salvage. If you're interested, feel free to hit me up on Skype!