Discovery Gaming Community
Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. (/showthread.php?tid=160200)

Pages: 1 2

Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Joe Pickens - 04-17-2018

Got a little math question for anyone who knows.

Medium White
TYPE: G8
LUMINOSITY: IV
COLOR: White
TEMPERATURE: 5K
MASS: 2.00 x 10e30 kg
DIAMETER: 1.85 x 10e7 km

For mass, I calculated 2.00 x 10e30 kg = 2e+31 kg

Diameter is 1.85 x 10e7 km = 185,000,000 km

These values seem far to high to me. If i'm making a mistake please point it out.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Kazinsal - 04-17-2018

Nothing in Freelancer makes sense scale wise.

Consider the plethora of green stars in the Freelancer universe.

Just ignore it.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Enkidu - 04-17-2018

I consider myself a medium white and I'm a lot less heavy than that.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Quantum~Flux - 04-17-2018

(04-17-2018, 06:04 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: Nothing in Freelancer makes sense scale wise.

Consider the plethora of green stars in the Freelancer universe.

Just ignore it.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Sciamach - 04-17-2018

Speaking as someone who likes reading about planetary science in his spare time, disco's infocards absolutely infuriate me. With few exceptions, none of them come close to making logical sense, many of them contradict themselves between the text and the general info at the top, and there are multitudes of planets with copy-pasted info despite being physically next to each-other and with obvious size differences.

Save for the primary inhabited worlds throughout Sirius, it's best if you just ignore the specifications of each planet, and just rely on the text description for your planetary information.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Durandal - 04-17-2018

This is something I'd actually like to fix and do when I come across glaringly obvious problems, but would take far too much time and energy to do a full QA pass on.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Sciamach - 04-17-2018

(04-17-2018, 06:07 PM)Durandal Wrote: This is something I'd actually like to fix and do when I come across glaringly obvious problems, but would take far too much time and energy to do a full QA pass on.

[ cracks knuckles audibly ]

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Victor Steiner - 04-17-2018

I have a friend whom I could ask to do it. He'd give us round figures or categorize star sizes per star type. I could ask if you like.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Zephyranthes - 04-17-2018

I mean the sheer amount of things off-plane seems to suggest that 90% of Sirian celestial bodies are rogue planets or something.

RE: Question on Star/Planet descriptions. - Dakuhosu - 04-17-2018

May I suggest a disclaimer "some imagination required"