Discovery Gaming Community
This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: This recently added server-side FPS cap. (/showthread.php?tid=160944)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Kazinsal - 05-10-2018

(05-10-2018, 12:01 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Here I was hoping this was about the FPS finally being capped at 60. Guess not.

FPS past 60 is an unfair advantage. Wake up sheeple.

That's not going to happen.

(05-10-2018, 11:58 AM)Durandal Wrote: I've had my FPS mystically cap at 100 long before the integrated limiter was ever introduced, and I'm not convinced what you're experiencing is related to it to be honest.

Likewise, I don't expect this to be an aspect of the limiter. I haven't been able to reproduce any of the issues that have been reported at all.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Giorgio - 05-10-2018

(05-10-2018, 11:26 PM)Kazinsal Wrote: Likewise, I don't expect this to be an aspect of the limiter. I haven't been able to reproduce any of the issues that have been reported at all.

In my specific case this has never happened before the limiters introduction. At most my FPS would drop to 60 after 3-4 alt-tabs and would always be back to 154 after restarting FL. For some reason this 100 FPS cap issue appears after a few alt-tabs as well, however its never resolved by restarting FL/Radeonpro or my PC, it just stays at 100 after I log into a character and then goes away in some hours. I will try running FL without capping my FPS with external software (RTSS) and if it persists I'll upload the usage data. Also, I've noticed my FPS frequently jumping around between 130-143. Before this cap it used to be at a single number of 154 for the vast majority of the time. I realise there are a lot of factors to that like the environment, presence of capitals etc but the FPS is just drastically more irregular with this cap.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Wesker - 05-11-2018

(05-10-2018, 12:01 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Here I was hoping this was about the FPS finally being capped at 60. Guess not.

FPS past 60 is an unfair advantage. Wake up sheeple.

No it isn't.

Having your FPS capped at 60 vs anything at 120 or higher only effects your ship's responsiveness. I can still aim just as well at 60, but my ship responsiveness is slower. Less responsiveness forces people to do nothing but earlyturn and/or sit in place as opposed to a mixed up style. With less responsiveness, you cannot be as aggressive - you can still put pressure out though.

In any fight, movement is irrelevant if aim cannot followup, I often never put any effort into movement because I don't have to. If you have good aim, you're already ahead.

The reason this change is stupid however is for the reason protege listed. If you force cap the FPS to a universal setting for all players (disregarding what type of monitor display they have) it creates awful screen tearing. For example, if you cap it at an uneven number, or a number that doesn't sync with the monitor display - screen tearing settles in and makes pvp impossible. Some people literally need to cap it at 155 because they have a colossal mointor display, others can get away with 120, there are even some pvpers that don't need to cap it beyond 80.

Mine is force capped at 135, it doesn't really effect my pvp abilities if I'm honest.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Lythrilux - 05-11-2018

The difference between playing with and without FPS above 60+ is night and day. On both fighters and capital ships. People who can't do this because of hardware limitations are at a disadvantage.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Wesker - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:20 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: The difference between playing with and without FPS above 60+ is night and day. On both fighters and capital ships. People who can't do this because of hardware limitations are at a disadvantage.

FPS has zero impact on capitalship pvp unless it's below 30. Back in 4.87 when I was your pvp muscle for cap raids I recorded at 30 FPS and was still able to play fine. TS/TZ takes zero effort beyond pressing the right click button on the target.

This whole fight was recorded at 30 FPS:

As far as snubs, like I mentioned - it only effects responsiveness. Which in turn, only effects someones ability to duel really.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Giorgio - 05-11-2018

Calling uncapped FPS (under 155) an unfair advantage is the same as calling a widescreen monitor an unfair advantage as it's also a hardware limitation to some people.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Giorgio - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:11 AM)Wesker Wrote: No it isn't.

Having your FPS capped at 60 vs anything at 120 or higher only effects your ship's responsiveness. I can still aim just as well at 60, but my ship responsiveness is slower. Less responsiveness forces people to do nothing but earlyturn and/or sit in place as opposed to a mixed up style. With less responsiveness, you cannot be as aggressive - you can still put pressure out though.

In any fight, movement is irrelevant if aim cannot followup, I often never put any effort into movement because I don't have to. If you have good aim, you're already ahead.

This is on point. Snubs just feel too sluggish and unresponsive at 60 fps. I'm not sure why some people are so vehemently against it.
And yeah 143 is a really strange number. I realise it's supposed to be capped at 155 server-side but apparently the number is between 130-143 for quite a few people. Should be either 155 or 120.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Mephistoles - 05-11-2018

Playing with FPS over 60 is an advantage over FPS at 60, but discussing that is inconsequential as it makes no difference under the server rules provided you don't go over 155 and jitter. 60 vs 120 is not what this thread is about.

Having the mod limit FPS is a good idea but evidently it doesn't quite work as it is now. The rarity of jittering and the fact it's always dealt with appropriately doesn't justify giving people issues with screen tearing or whatever else. If it can be fixed to do its job without causing issues then that's great and I'm all for it, but jitter is so rare it's not worth keeping a built in limiter that negatively the game experience for even one person.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Lythrilux - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:22 AM)Wesker Wrote: FPS has zero impact on capitalship pvp unless it's below 30

Turrets are much more responsive, which is crucial when it comes to instant kills.

(05-11-2018, 12:23 AM)Giorgi Wrote: Calling uncapped FPS (under 155) an unfair advantage is the same as calling a widescreen monitor an unfair advantage as it's also a hardware limitation to some people.

FPS can at least be regulated in the rules, theoretically.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Alex. - 05-11-2018

The title of this thread makes it very difficult to take seriously.