Discovery Gaming Community
This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: This recently added server-side FPS cap. (/showthread.php?tid=160944)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Felipe - 05-11-2018

Unless the person is jittering? Smile

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Kazinsal - 05-11-2018

(05-10-2018, 11:51 PM)Giorgi Wrote: however its never resolved by restarting [...] my PC

This literally makes zero sense. RAM contents are flushed and all devices are reinitialized from a power-on state when you restart a PC. There is nothing we are doing that would persist through a reboot. Check your CPU and GPU temperatures because it sounds like you have an overheating issue.

(05-11-2018, 12:20 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: The difference between playing with and without FPS above 60+ is night and day. On both fighters and capital ships. People who can't do this because of hardware limitations are at a disadvantage.

It would be an unfair advantage if high refresh rate monitors weren't purchasable on the open market for around $200 USD.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Giorgio - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:33 AM)Alex. Wrote: The title of this thread makes it very difficult to take seriously.

I'll rename it to something different then? Not sure what is wrong with it. I wasn't trying to be purposefully snarky or anything.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Wesker - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:32 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: Turrets are much more responsive, which is crucial when it comes to instant kills.

I'll just let this speak for itself.

Lyth Wrote:FPS can at least be regulated in the rules, theoretically.

Not in a way that creates screen tearing issues for people, that's harmful to the monitor in general.

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Wesker - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:29 AM)Mephistoles Wrote: Having the mod limit FPS is a good idea but evidently it doesn't quite work as it is now. The rarity of jittering and the fact it's always dealt with appropriately doesn't justify giving people issues with screen tearing or whatever else. If it can be fixed to do its job without causing issues then that's great and I'm all for it, but jitter is so rare it's not worth keeping a built in limiter that negatively the game experience for even one person.

Ta-da.

Screen tearing is caused by partial frame updates to the framebuffer before they're sent to the monitor. The monitor doesn't care about tearing because it's still receiving a full frame. The frame it's receiving is just composed on the GPU from part of a new frame and part of an old frame.

e: I need to look into what the deal is with the frame limiter, yes, that much is obvious. This is made incredibly complex by no helpful information from the community other than "it sucks remove it".

(05-11-2018, 12:35 AM)Kazinsal Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 11:51 PM)Giorgi Wrote: however its never resolved by restarting [...] my PC

This literally makes zero sense. RAM contents are flushed and all devices are reinitialized from a power-on state when you restart a PC. There is nothing we are doing that would persist through a reboot. Check your CPU and GPU temperatures because it sounds like you have an overheating issue.

It only starts capping itself at exactly 100 instead of exactly 143 after multiple alt-tabs (which I'm trying not to do anymore). Nothing helps after it decides to cap itself at 100. I'm not sure but I think if it were an overheating issue it wouldn't always cap at exactly 100 and wouldn't only happen after alt-tabbing. The difference with alt-tabbing is that before the cap it would just drop to 60 and would always get back to 154 after restarting FL, however there is no remedy now for when it caps at 100. But yeah this is pretty bizarre and doesn't make any sense to me as well, hence why I started this thread in the first place.

CPU, GPU, and GPU driver version please.

(05-11-2018, 12:55 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: CPU, GPU, and GPU driver version please.

Intel Xeon E5440, Radeon HD 4600, 8.970.100.1100

RE: This recently added server-side FPS cap. - Karlotta - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 12:11 AM)Wesker Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 12:01 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: Here I was hoping this was about the FPS finally being capped at 60. Guess not.

FPS past 60 is an unfair advantage. Wake up sheeple.

Having your FPS capped at 60 vs anything at 120 or higher only effects your ship's responsiveness. I can still aim just as well at 60, but my ship responsiveness is slower. Less responsiveness forces people to do nothing but earlyturn and/or sit in place as opposed to a mixed up style. With less responsiveness, you cannot be as aggressive - you can still put pressure out though.

What do you mean with "responsiveness is slower". When you go from 120 to 60 Hz, does your ship start turning one sixtieth of a second later, or does it turn half (or another fraction) as fast?

And what about the turrets/gun turning you mentioned?