Discovery Gaming Community
Community Push Onto Discord - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Community Push Onto Discord (/showthread.php?tid=161066)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Community Push Onto Discord - Lythrilux - 05-14-2018

I am so done with Skype. So done. High resource usage, spam, bots, malware, viruses, ads coming out the wazoo, hacked contacts, crappy call/video quality the list goes on.

Why in the hell is a gaming community using such an archaic and quite frankly terrible program for? There is no kind of pro-user support or catering, and it gets worse with each update. How many of you are deliberately using older versions of Skype right now, because the newer ones are terrible?

Okay, I get it, some users in the community don't like Discord (for whatever wacky reasons), but irrespective of your personal preferences using Skype is a security risk! I've seen all too many users in this community belittle Discord, only for their Skype account to be sending me fishy looking chinese malware links a week later.

And don't try and tell me you use your Disco Skype for IRL, I smell the lies emanating from your weeb anime avatar. When I absolutely have to, I have a work Skype that I will use if needed, but I try to avoid it and encourage people to contact me via other means.

We're not just shooting ourselves in the foot by using Skype, but actively trying to make the wound go gangrene. So many people and factions have migrated, so can people stop being so stubborn, and can we finally make the push?

Rant over.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Kauket - 05-14-2018

Not to be snarky or anything but I don't think I've ever honestly been compromised. Can't remember the last time I saw a bot either.

I don't like how on discord you can't make certain levels of admin, eg admins can still move the owner out of a channel?? I don't want a thing where admins can flip each other out

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Lythrilux - 05-14-2018

Isn't it worse on Skype though? I.e An Admin goofs off, accidentally ends up kicking the chat Admin/Owner, the entire chat now no longer has an owner and has to be remade.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Emperor Tekagi - 05-14-2018

Rant noticed. Rant gladly ignored as usage of both programs proofed to be the most reliable. Also still had 2 spam bots within years, ads ceased to appear since several updates (yes I have desktop skype on the newest weird version atm), call and video quality was never a thing to use Skype for anyways.
Discord is a nice alternative, many moved there, I am just a faction rep in overall semi-serious faction chats, though voice channel management is truly great.

What I do not understand is why you people keep ranting about it and in semi-serious attempts try to convince everyone to move to Discord. It's no use trying to force it, we have like all OFLs having Discord nowadays, just like many, many other people too. So there is seriously 0 chance for issues like information lack to appear. We do have a way to communicate from Discord to Skype, a simple c/p isn't hard.

To keep it short: A handful of people never had the issues the majority have with Skype and will keep using both, no matter how many other people rant about it.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Hannibal - 05-14-2018

(05-14-2018, 04:24 PM)Auzari Wrote: Not to be snarky or anything but I don't think I've ever honestly been compromised. Can't remember the last time I saw a bot either.
I see 3 each week and I’m only logging once or twice per week
Quote:I don't like how on discord you can't make certain levels of admin, eg admins can still move the owner out of a channel?? I don't want a thing where admins can flip each other out
Roles are not equal which means you can admins which can touch x admin , but really you don’t need to make admins at all since you can assign which options can each role have access to and in which channel

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Laz - 05-14-2018

I cannot recieve images or files over Skype and this has been the most infurating factor that resulted me in using Discord primarily. That, and the fact that I spend a lot of time developing Discord bots. The level of control Discord gives you is nice, and much nicer than Skype. Skype has a lot of flaws and limitations and some days just outright doesn't work for me.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Sciamach - 05-14-2018

Skype is cancer and anyone still using it needs to install discord and them scrub themselves because of just how bad and disgusting skype is.

Discord is better in every conceivable way to skype for the purposes of the average disco player at this point.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Sombs - 05-14-2018

I heard people using Skype have voted for Trump.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Wesker - 05-14-2018

RHA has completely moved to discord. I like it, much more simple; and our voice chat cannot be spied on like in TS.

RE: Community Push Onto Discord - Shinju - 05-14-2018

(05-14-2018, 04:43 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: I heard people using Skype have voted for Trump.

Sadly I cannot vote somebody who lives across the ocean c: