Discovery Gaming Community
Twofold Longing - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Twofold Longing (/showthread.php?tid=161497)

Twofold Longing - Stefan - 05-28-2018

[Image: JocOTnU.png]

- "We're receiving you loud and clear, Allan Brahms. Please stand by, we are initiating disembarking procedures but there is a ship ahead of you."

Brahms heard the disembodied female voice over the intercom, but while he waited for clearance his attention had shifted elsewhere. Overboard, the Giant Hiran's atmosphere glimmered with vibrant hues and shifting colors in unpredictable manner. He never got tired of looking at it. Beside him sat Hannelore and Toulouse, equally impressed by the display.

- "Is it always like this?" - Asked the French.
- "Ja. Always a new shape or color. Those who remain aboard the Hawaii long enough claim seeing ones they didn't even believe existed." - The german kept smiling as he talked, still taken aback by the sight.

Still, it was far from his first time near the planet. More or less a decade ago he stood on very the same spot, waving goodbye for the first time. Since the assignment of his sister to the location, he made a point of coming back every two weeks or so - he missed her more than he admitted. Thankfully, he imagined she felt the same way.

Brahms was ten years older when she was born, so their parents thought it would be relevant for their oldest to share the experience. Even then the old Helmutt Brahms wished his son to have several children, so it would be good practice, he assumed.

Their childhood was built in an assortment of adventures. Up to the point Brahms left to Bretonia - which happened only around his 17th birthday - he was responsible for taking care of the young Cerys. Most of their free time was then spent in fantasy, either by making pretend through their creativity or the retelling of book novels.

Truth be told, Allan wasn't sure if there was someone he loved more than her - and if there was an opinion he cared for it was hers.

- "What do you think that looks like?" - Toulouse and Hannelore were absorbed by their inner monologue at this point. - "It reminds me of food for some reason..."
- "Tou, alles reminds you of food."

It had been three weeks since his last visit - and that had been a short one. Allan had let work dictate his free time, and back then all they had was a quick lunch - not exactly what he had in mind this time.

On paper he had told his sister he needed help with retrofitting a ship's interior, it's design and comfort - that much was true. He was indeed having trouble reaching someone in Orbital Spa & Cruise and pestering her for an alternative was the last option on the table. That wasn't the sole reason for his visit, however.

Brahms was shaken - and doing his best to hide it. The reason as to why he made such a hurry to visit was knowing he couldn't keep up the face much longer. Weirdly enough, he needed advice on a personal matter he didn't truly desire to ask anyone else about.

Marrying.

- "Mr. Brahms do you copy? We're clear for the docking procedures, may we continue?"

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 05-28-2018

The Hawaii was absurdly gorgeous - more so from the inside than anyone could expect. It's inner decoration was always on the change as well, so much that Brahms had made an effort to memorize the overall layout of the hull instead of any visual indications. Flags were always being replaced, Holosculptures renewed, food always changing shape, color and origin. You just couldn't commit these visual things to memory and expect to know where you are - your next time on the Liner always looked like an entirely different place.

This time the decor carried such a consistent mixture of Red and White that Brahms knew that a Bretonian delegation had to be on board minutes before any officer went past his group. Pictures of an Idolized New London filled the walls and socially dressed waiters served Tea, biscuits and milk - all of that while miniature Palace Liner Holograms floated above the heads of onlookers. Their world was completely apart from the real one.

Brahms walked quickly, sure of his step and expertly dressed enough not to be an object of attention nor disdain. The two younger ladies rushed in his pursuit, one stopping the other from making too much food runs lest they lose him from their view.

His goal was simple: The bar. His sister knew very well that his first stop was exactly that and so he didn't expect to meet her anywhere else. He was obviously right.

Cerys stood almost in the same distance from the bar as to the staff room. Smiling, as any employee of the Liner was paid to to, and dressing accordingly to the code - although since she worked with the management, she had leniency enough not to look like a mannequin nor a statue emulating a thousand years old culture.

As they crossed eyes, Brahms heart mellowed, and he almost broke composure, going for a far friendlier hug than she was expecting.

- "Ooh, calm down old geezer, I still have functioning lungs." - She remarked.
- "Hallo, Cezz, it's been a while."

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 05-31-2018

- "Allan, stop dodging questions and tell me something new, will you?"

The pair had sat down near one of the windows, above most of the crowd. From there, they could see the glimmers of Hiran's clouds and their particle discharges, which traced figures along its shape.

Waiters, waitresses - and some of unclear gender - expertly walked along the crowded bar's length. Serving the well-dressed costumers, colorful and expensive appetizers, made from organic produce, biscuits and alcohol, were displayed as far as the eye could see. Above all however, the scent of Junyo Oysters, served as the place's special, was everywhere.

- "We haven't properly talked for so long." - Cerys sounded angry, but she was just frustrated. Allan resided on Stuttgart, so he was the one who usually relayed to his siblings the family news. After three weeks of silence, however, she had every reason to be worried. - "You're going to have to give me a lot of answers before I start giving you any."

It was strange, being in that position. Brahms was usually the one who called the shots, who asked questions instead of answering them. Were him self-aware, however, he'd realize that there was a lot more making him uncomfortable than just the way his sister reacted to his absence.

- "Cerys... Ah, I'm sorry. You are right. I'm just... not being myself here. Tell me, where should I start first?" - He took a deep breath, trying to pull things together.
- "Well..." - It was her time to feel out of place. - "You can start by telling me how dad is doing after the whole issue with the Reichstag."

Helmutt Brahms, the head and oldest of the family, was a political figure in Rheinland. After a recent scandal, however, rumors of his allegiance with the Bundschuhpartei had been taken out of proportion and forced him to retire.

- "Vater is hanging on." - Brahms sounded less worried than either of them was expecting. - "To be honest I believed it would get much worse, but the ones who started the whole thing had no idea of what they were doing - it ended as quickly as it started."

Allan laid back on the chair he sat, uncrossing his arms as a waitress came by, filling his cup with more liquor.

- "Thank you, dear." - He smiled, waiting the young woman to leave before going back to the conversation. - "Either way, it is just the matter of all us getting used to it. Mother is pretty satisfied, however, she says it will be good to have someone to take care of once again." - He chuckled. - "Besides the paperwork, his finances were largely unaffected as well so... Well, I believe it's the first time I ever saw him planning a vacation."

Cerys finally drew a smile.

- "Well, I'm happy to hear it. I was worried - specially since my brother took the chance to completely vanish from the map."
- "It's not like that Cezz. With all the changes there has been a lot to deal with."
- "Of course it's not, but how should I know since you haven't even told me about your new... business partners." - She said mockingly. - "Zoners. Seriously, Brahms? You know there's a special drink for those around here, right?"

Brahms smiled. He was getting that question a lot lately, even from himself at times.

- "Yeah. I know." - The words came out just before a discrete sigh. - "Being completely honest it feels out of place for me as well."

He took a drink out of his cup once, avoiding eye contact for the first time on the conversation.

- "It's just... Feeling out of place isn't exclusive to this situation to be perfectly frank. I think I'm just tired of seeing governments failing us everywhere, Sis. We both know the direction the situation at home is going towards, but Bretonia is neck deep in war casualties, Liberty officials haven't changed a bit and I can't even begin to comprehend the situation in Kusari. You remember when I told you that I didn't know how things would go after leaving Interspace? Because of their indifference?"

She nodded affirmatively.

- "Well, this is what was offered. The chance to do unbiased work on my own and still have a semblance of backing."

There was a brief moment of silence where neither of them knew exactly what to say - Brahms was genuinely affected by the topic, more so than he was letting on.

- "But even so... Sometimes I wish I could just outright ignore it."
- "Ignore what?"
- "You know. People. Go back to the credits." - He was finishing his drink when he concluded. - "But even those are soiled nowadays."

Cerys knew he didn't mean it. Feeling right back at the place she was raised in, she reached over the table towards his left hand, grasping it.

- "You have changed. That's all."

He breathed in. Smiled back to her. Then let go.

- "I hope so."

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 06-02-2018

- "So, what are you going to do about it?" - She was trying to liven up the conversation.
- "Wish I knew." - He was not.

The waitress came by again, this time with Curacao Leaf Rolls and Cinnamon Attle Bread.

- "The options aren't that many." - He stated as he broke a piece of bread. - "And I don't wanna sound like the Seraphim work has been an issue, because it hasn't. I mean, it's an area of new expertise, but for the most part I have been able to do my own thing on occasion."
- "That's part of the problem, isn't it?" - Conversation usually deviated like that for Brahms, first he stated a positive, than quickly went on about it's negatives.

He just smiled - both because the scent of Attle Bread reminded him of Stuttgart and because she was right.

- "I haven't been able to keep my distance from politics that well."

As the conversation floated on, the lighting starting changing considerably. The station local time was nearing Six PM, and with their systems primed to simulate sunsets both sat under a mixture of vermilion and purple by now.

- "Most of the die-hard Zoners I've spoken to share this stance of extreme distance from house relations, no matter which one. Most rationalize and explain this outlook with their own experiences, which is fair, I mean, some people just want a way to get away from everything and everyone else and start again."
- "But - for God's sake - not you." - She laid forward, discreetly taking a bite of one of the Curacao Rolls.
- "There's... too much people that I care for. You. Mother. I'd be remiss not to mention a few friends in odd places as well."

He meant Annika, but was trying to keep the DWR topic out of this conversation - thankfully, it was not picked up.

- "... and so I find myself at these odd crossroads, where I am supposed to act normally nearby certain individuals that..."
- "Have questionable background."
- "Exactly. It's been obnoxiously hard to keep it up. Were the Outcasts and Corsairs not enough, Gallia is right around the corner, the Hogosha haven't changed a bit, and you have extreme nationalists left and right - from the Unioners to the Xenos - trying to justify civilian casualties with nonsense talk."

Knowing he wasn't one to act like that with anyone else, Cerys let her brother take a second to collect himself before picking the topic up.

- "It's not easy, right? Diplomatic work tires me already, I only imagine what being a passerby does to your old bones." - She smiled at the obvious joke as he let the humor sink in a little.
- "It's indeed tiring." - He took a deep breath as he shifted on the chair. Now supporting his head with a closed fist, Brahms inclined himself towards the window. - "You mix the desire to respect your patrons outlook with the instinct to do more and you have this discomfort I feel right now."
- "Why don't you start your own thing then."

She cleaned her lips and hands carefully before endorsing the obvious point. The German just kept his silence, looking at her.

- "I mean it. You may not have every connection readily available, but trying is something anyone should be allowed to. You have financial stability, your outlooks in worker rights and independence, so what's the worst that can happen. Failure?"

Risking a monologue, she went on.

- "Look, I'm not going to pretend I know what I am talking about - you were always on a better position than I ever was to ever make these choices, but I know you. Once you put your mind towards something, it's done. Unless you find a way to work this out, these feelings of distress won't let you be - or have you forgotten Gateway, Samura and Interspace?"

There was a small pause on the discussion, as their beer had finally arrived and both of them took their time to savor it.

- "Maybe you'll fail - maybe you won't. I'm sure that the process of making a name will be a steep climb, but even if others decide you're not their material, won't you be doing your own thing? Isn't that what you've been wanting to?"
- "It still is. The problem is fitting a bill, finding a market, which is something I have not been able to do yet."
- "Well, consider this. You just barely mentioned extremists - do you think everyone shares that energy?"
- "What do you mean?"
- "Everyone starts somewhere, Brahms. You sure isn't there a market for newcomers on Sirius? New people. Underdogs. Even independents?"
- "That's the closest you've gotten to the idea I have been entertaining, to be perfectly honest with you."

Brahms smiled.

- "The sight of common folk moving through lanes in silence, right and left is a common one, but most don't see a problem in this." - He added.
- "You don't need to please everyone, Brahms, I'm sure you know that."
- "I end up forgetting it on occasion."

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 06-03-2018

- "You know that this is starting to sound quite like an interrogation, right?" - Brahms crossed his arms over his chest, looking firmly at Cerys. She had an inquisitive pair of eyes that he never faltered to entertain, curiosity was one of her traits he adored.
- "And I should care because?"

She was playing with the Attle leftovers as they spoke, but eventually brushed her hands together and laid back, one arm over the rail, overlooking the visitors downstairs.

- "You know how life goes around here. New people every morning, new protocols every night, the occasional illegality aboard. I find it incredibly amusing, but I know playing host isn't your thing."
- "That, you do."
- "So, c'mon. Give me something new. What have you been up to?"
- "Nothing exceptional. We are still running supplies to Freeport 8 and Planet Nuremberg." - He was speaking almost in a monotone. - "The Seraphim have be-"
- "Oh for hell's sake Allan." - She immediately cut him short. - "Stop groveling and tell me something exciting!"

Brahms gave her a blank look, not expecting the reaction.

- "You sound like dad, but twenty years younger and with half the amount of money. If you do not speak about something that puts a smile on your face right now, I'm going to drag you to the VIP area and lock you in there for a month before you see sunshine again." - Laughter, at this point, was moments away from full exposure.
- "Alright, impertinent you. I'm building a ship."

An eye to eye moment - and then both of them shared an honest smile. Closing one of her hands and both of her eyes for a moment, Cerys rejoiced.

- "Yes! See!" - She was pointing at him with a straight finger. - "That's what I am talking about, you Fellknäuel: Stuff that makes you happy."
- "Cezz..."
- "No. Come on. Tell me about her - and why is it a thing that I wasn't even consulted?"

The world could very well turned sour at this point and probably neither of them would have noticed. In fact, right outside, an OSC Scout party was clashing with a pair of Corsairs - in full view from the window they were sitting at, no less. A great number of people had moved over to watch it, but that was only noticed when the noise from their disturbance sprawled over the conversation. Moving to a table further away, the pair now could only hear the surprise gasps and cheers occasionally coming from their general direction.

- "Look, I wasn't trying to keep you in the dark or anything - it's just that I am trying to do this on my own." - Brahms started explaining, a tad apologetic. - "But, to be perfectly honest, a lot is still being planned, and I certainly could use your help on some areas."
- "Oh, inner decoration! My poison!" - She clapped silently, but expectantly.
- "Well, yes, but please control your urges." - Brahms let a gentle laugh escape, knowing far too well that if she started speaking about color combinations and clothing choices she would lose him. - "I promise I will send you the details via comm."
- "Do not make me beg, Allan Brahms Fawkes."

He chuckled, convinced, and reached for a small datapad inside his shirt pocket. Placing it on the table, it took a few seconds after a simple command for a small hologram - expertly coded by Hex - to start floating in front of them.

- "I know that design... Bretonian, Serenity is the name, isn't it?" - He nodded. - "It's a simple one - and the style suits you. I like it."

She was browsing the specifications written by him and his team, as well as his personal notes as to what was desired to be aboard and what wasn't.

- "Anfänge. You always have to sound poetic, don't you... Cargo related nonsense, which is completely gibberish for me... ah, finally, living quarters. Let's see here..."

As she overlooked the schematics suggested by the project, a moment of silence washed over Brahms. An all too familiar calm he did not feel in a long while, as if everything he had planned to that point had no chance of failure. This sudden, optimistic wave made him realize that indeed there was something wrong with him.

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 06-07-2018

Cerys was reading out loud and making comments as the Serenity's plans rolled forward. Although heavily and honestly invested into it, ship design and retrofit was only a part time job, since her position on OS&C didn't entail it, motivated by full blown out interest.

- "So let's see what these rooms are all for."

The older Voigt, Brahms old friend who worked as his engineer, and his daughter's team had written specifications about the structure and layout of the ship. A man of practicality, Dietrich had left few opinions on decals, clothing or colors other than green - rather, he had annotated more than once that the density, material and overall shape of even the floor tiles would affect productivity and the speed of overall work inside the vessel.

Albeit reluctantly, he had let Lore sneak in a suggestion for a tinker shop near engineering. That was as much comfort as he would request, however.

- "This man... Dietrich. I know him don't I? His name sounds so familiar yet I can't put my finger on it." - She shook her head. - "No matter. Sounds like any other engineer that I've known - a few synthetic carpets and shock absorbing materials wouldn't hurt, specially on engineering. I would like to see him working with the noise level a ship without any acoustic insulation gets."

Following them, Hex and Kailyn's team had basically reviewed and compiled a list of scientific and medical equipment that were to be installed on the ship. Not only that, but the design of a compact laboratory, with small hydroponics bay and astrophysics subsection, was started alongside the Doctor's husband.

With Hex's help, the combined experience of the couple had pretty much everything under control, up to the schedule of said installation, leaving not much room for additional questions. On the medical side of things, an agreement with Cryer Pharmaceuticals had but taken care of the ship's emergency clinic's design. Once again there was little left to discuss.

- "I'm not even going to touch the laboratory plans, but I can suggest a few providers for synthetic weaving and radiation proof clothing. We can at least make sure everyone working aboard looks and wears the same - that also applies for any doctors and patients you have in here."

Last but not least there were the living and common areas, which Brahms had requested for everyone to chime in, while, on his own, he had sketched a few ideas for a Bar and crew installations.

His personal room was to be further apart from the rest of the ship, with a decent view of the outside and - preferably - a small office inside. Two other levels of crew quarters were also requested - one for the permanent and most experienced members of the team, fit to their liking, and a second one for the occasional transient residents aboard. Considering these were not supposed to be that many, it encompassed not much of the ship's layout.

- "So, what do you think?"
- "It's pretty clear that if I don't step in this will end up looking like a mishmash of cultural design and colors. You'll end up like my childhood drawings." - She looked up briefly, smiling.
- "I'll ask Kishiro then, it will be cheaper." - Brahms laughed. - "Will you help or not?"
- "Does dad like Rheinbier?" - No answer was needed after this point. - "I'll talk with a few friends, ask for their rates and work a few recommendations for you. It shouldn't take longer than a week to make sure everything looks like they came from the same place."

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 06-08-2018

Things had considerably changed on the bar by the time they stopped looking over the plans. After the entertainment of the outside turned too real - when one of the OS&C Fighters exploded far too close to the Hawaii - the group near the windows moved downstairs. Toulouse and Hannelore, in consequence, followed, entertaining themselves with a few drinks. Brother and sister, however, had requested dinner and didn't plan to leave anytime soon - moments like these were becoming far too rare to be cut short.

The kitchen that evening had prepared three main dishes: the Special - Flambé Junyo Oysters, served with cheese and organic greens, Sauté Potatos and Killmark, a delicacy becoming rare by the day, fished from New London's constantly purified aquariums, and Scouse, a stew made with meat of questionable origins, eaten with onions and pepper - or "Just an excuse to forget that something with such a weird origin tastes so good", as Allan liked to call it.

Both had quieted down as they waited their servings - Cerys had gone with the second choice, and her brother with the last - but sharing silence was not something either of them considered uncomfortable.

- "And how are things between you and Peter?" - He meant her husband.
- "Oh, we've finally settled down. I mean, our shifts finally stopped conflicting. He still has to manage kitchen after-hours, which means that at times we get to rest at completely different hours, but we've learned to live with it."
- "Lieben und Husten lassen sich nicht verbergen."
- "Oh, shut it Allan."

Laughing over the phrase repeated so many times before by their mother, both settled on a smile for a bit.

- "What's gotten into you?" - Cerys said.
- "What do you mean?"
- "Allan, I'd wager this is the first time you ask of Peter or my love life since I told you I was dating."
- "I am that obvious, huh?"
- "No, I'm just that good, but... Did something happen? Or... someone... happen?"
- "No, it's not like that. I mean, not on that sense."

Cerys could not help acting surprised over the fact that the topic had come up. Relationships were never something Allan liked to talk about, so she was just expecting him to shut her off and change subject. But he did not.

- "I met this woman... well, in comparison she is more like a girl... while working in Rheinland. I am old enough to be her father - and add the fact that we've grown really close it's been impossible not to think I should have started a family on my own by now."

He was met with a stare, his sister simply did not know what to say. He kept the silence, doing his best to keep Annika out of his mind.

- "I'm... You got me by surprise here."
- "I imagine I did." - Allan looked away, towards the people downstairs. Toulouse and Hanne sat with a new group near the center of the room. Cerys followed his eyes. - "Going through all these changes gave me such a different outlook on life. Thinking I had everything figured out, it's not something I was expecting to happen either, I'll give you that much."
- "You were always one to keep to yourself, hiring everyone out most of the time. I guess, eventually, that had to change."

He looked back at her, their plates were being put and more drinks were being served. Allan could feel the alcohol starting to make it's presence known but he didn't care - it was easier to talk about it like this. Dining or not, conversation was beginning to be one sided.

- "It feels... different. Running permanent crew, I mean." - He spoke in intervals, eating but not really tasting it. - "At times it almost feels like I found myself a replacement for family. I know that Hex was always the closest thing I had to a son, but it feels... odd, somehow."

His sister was not paying attention to much more than his voice either. Although the Killmark was intoxicatingly good, Hex's story was something not even she knew in detail.

- "... and then, take Hannelore, for instance. Her relation with her father reminds me of mine at times. I guess I can't help but imagine what it feels like to be on the other end, you know. I'm starting to think I avoided this topic for too long and now it's too late." - He almost sounded defeated.

Cerys let he recover before speaking up.

- "Do you remember how dad used to tell me about how he and mom met? How much of a 'gentleman' he was, that I should never look for someone lesser than him?" - She smiled. - "Well, it wasn't him that got Peter intimidated on the first place."
- "What do you mean?"
- "Do I have to spell it? With a successful brother caring for me the way he does, even a man like him got nervous meeting you for the first time." - She spoke like telling a secret. - "Just please, don't tell him I told you this."

Allan was positively surprised but didn't quite understand the point she was trying to make.

- "What I'm trying to say is - you're as much of a man as father is. We will always be here to support you - and even if you haven't realized yet, you have a thing of your own, Allan." - She faced the downstairs group once again. - "You'll figure things out."

RE: Twofold Longing - Stefan - 06-10-2018

As time went on, conversation turned to less meaningful events. Cerys rambled about her job, Allan talked about his crew, both drank, spoke of home and were already on their third dad joke when they finally decided to go downstairs and join the other two. Toulouse was making a competition out of who ate shrimps faster while Lore just watched and laughed as time and again another tourist would take up the challenge and stand in awe when the Gallic counterpart proved to be unbeatable.

Allan was smiling - and now, at least, trying to see things through another angle.

[Image: pZYLk36.png]