Discovery Gaming Community
The future of Border stations - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: The future of Border stations (/showthread.php?tid=161872)

Pages: 1 2

The future of Border stations - Geoffacake - 06-10-2018

While border stations are made to show key points within where police patrols ensure the security of house states, they're not exactly memorable, unique or even useful within the current environment of discovery, prison stations are regarded as more useful at this point. As the current dev approach is the "Reduce, reuse and recycle" to ensure that the server load isn't obliterated by wasted potential. I think the next step to take is to trade in border stations.

1) They can't dock gunships or larger

2) They waste equipment, commodity and potentially ship-dealers

3) Who cares for them? Most House police forces ignore them outright since they have little RP potential.

Border stations are a waste on the server workload, thats why i'd suggested that cruisers using station weapons with the following naming convention of "Border Control Cruiser (NAME)" is used as a replacement. They free up space for potential stations to be added in the game, they still enforce the "We patrol and guard here" attitude for the police, yet still would be a hazard for unlawfuls to approach.

Have a conversation about it below, but this is something that I feel needs to be taken into account of the current dev attitude to solars.

RE: The future of Border stations - Querious - 06-10-2018

Nobody gave a flying birb about Fulda when it got NEMPed, so why should these stations still hold merit?

RE: The future of Border stations - Sombs - 06-10-2018

There are many stations out there nobody cares about. They are simply there for the decoration and it is fine that way. I do think, however, that the destroyed border stations should be replaced by at least a non-dockable cruisers.

RE: The future of Border stations - Nodoka Hanamura - 06-10-2018

I personally think that Border Stations are useful for events like the Cultist attack events - helps cut down on time, and also serves as a nice rally point for lawfuls/quasi-lawfuls.

RE: The future of Border stations - Laz - 06-10-2018

They are bad for both the server environment and any actual inRP logistic value.

RE: The future of Border stations - Geoffacake - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 08:39 PM)Nodoka Hanamura Wrote: I personally think that Border Stations are useful for events like the Cultist attack events - helps cut down on time, and also serves as a nice rally point for lawfuls/quasi-lawfuls.

You can't dock transports or anything larger than a gunboat on a border station anyway. And they're the majority players who require restocks in those events.

RE: The future of Border stations - Unseelie - 06-10-2018

Well. I haven't been here for a long while, but here's my two cents:
It'll unclutter the resource infocards by removing a bunch of "buys this good for 100" lines, which sounds great.

It removes generics, and replaces those with specific house flavors, which is excellent, and will give you a better feeling about having arrived in a new place, so this sounds great to me.

RE: The future of Border stations - Corile - 06-10-2018

Anything that removes unnecessary solars from the game is fine by me.

RE: The future of Border stations - Lafayette - 06-10-2018

Border Stations contain lots of unique vanilla rumors which allow you to learn more about the system and the activities of those onboard.

They are also useful for anyone flying a snub or looking for a quick bribe.

RE: The future of Border stations - Geoffacake - 06-10-2018

(06-10-2018, 08:50 PM)Lafayette Wrote: Border Stations contain lots of unique vanilla rumors which allow you to learn more about the system and the activities of those onboard.

They are also useful for anyone flying a snub or looking for a quick bribe.

Why not use them on recycled stations, thats the thing though. Border stations should be recycled into other police stations for the sake of continuity