Discovery Gaming Community
Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. (/showthread.php?tid=161914)

Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - E X O D I T E - 06-12-2018

Miner ID will be forever unused by anyone save newbies because of

a) God-awful rephacks
b) It is completely overshadowed by every other mining ID in existence, both in terms of bonus, and because
c) Its Freighter that can mine can only mine the lowest-priced Ore in the game.

Proposed fix: Make Sunburst able to mine more Ores on a Miner ID. This would allow indie miners to accompany 5ker convoys and not have to switch ships every so often.

It will still be completely out-classed by literally any other Ore Freighter, but at least the ship isn't tied to a single field.

Alternate fix: Let Miner ID use House/Borderworlds Mining Freighters.

Thoughts?

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - LaWey - 06-12-2018

Why it not thing yet? it really should be a thing. Generic miner have snub line and hegemon, but not freighter. Its just strange. Even if you can use snub-line, only arrastra in really suitable due of radiation and other things on mining place. Freighter should be nice fit for long range for same reason.

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Aazalot - 06-12-2018

i did propose a little while ago that the kestrel should be usable as a mining ship similure to the dromedary

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Karlotta - 06-12-2018

It's better to ditch miner ID entirely. It should be possible to make decent mining profit on a Freelancer ID and one mining laser mounter on the rear view turret. Single chars should be more versatile so players arent forced to make multiple anonymous low-rp chars they only hop onto to fill a hauler.

Level mining bonuses like this:

80% bonus: Freelancer ID + single fighter turret mounted in the rear
90% bonus: Second best faction ID+IFF + single fighter turret mounted in rear
100% bonus: Best faction ID+IFF + single fighter turret mounted in read

When using a hegemon instead of a fighter miner, multiply that bonus with 0.4 or what ever is used now.

Don't give high mining bonus to freighters like the clydesdale, because that messes up the mining balances for POBs near mining fields.

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Lythrilux - 06-12-2018

I really don't see the point in this ID. It's terrible and so bad that you can't even make factions with it or use it for any meaningful RP.

I like Karlotta's suggestion, although the Freelancer ID is already extremely good as is. And on the other hand, I would rather see people flock to faction IDs rather than use generic ones.

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Karlotta - 06-12-2018

(06-12-2018, 10:23 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: I really don't see the point in this ID. It's terrible and so bad that you can't even make factions with it or use it for any meaningful RP.

I like Karlotta's suggestion, although the Freelancer ID is already extremely good as is. And on the other hand, I would rather see people flock to faction IDs rather than use generic ones.

People who want to make serious amounts of credits will be willing to switch faction even for a 10% advantage.

The reason for making freelancer ID almost as good is because new people should have first chars they like and identify with and are recognizable on. So first chars should be versatile and not be immediately replaced by 2 or 3 money-maker chars within the first minutes/hours.

I think the "problem" of people flocking to certain IDs or to generic IDs was largely exaggerated in the past (most of the time people just looked for things to complain about because the players did something they didnt like like win against them), and is a non-issue now that player numbers are too low to spread over all (or even 50% of) IDs anyway.

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - E X O D I T E - 08-03-2018

Bumping this because reasons. Can Miner ID has multi-Ore Freighter?

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Sand_Spider - 08-03-2018

If we were to keep the Miner ID, I agree that having the Sunburst added to the list of ships that are usable by the Miner ID would be seriously awesome.

Alternatively, it would also be a neat ease-of-life/rookie friendly change to simply have the Miner ID done away with and have the Freelancer ID receive mining bonuses in its place. Rear-facing turrets on fighters such as the Sutinga, Eagle and Marauder seem rather pointless (besides absorbing shots), and having a mining turret there to low-key assist a buddy/stranger with mining efforts would be nifty.

In either case, the Miner ID rep hacks are terrible in the present day of affairs. I feel like a higher mining bonus on specified ores should be incentive enough for wanting to focus on mining one or two specific ores. Punishing players - especially newbies - with no-dock factions seems rather extreme. I feel that removing those rep hacks would be beneficial and more rookie-friendly.

Edit: Also I would LOVE to be able to use the Miner ID if it could just use a freighter like every other ID that can mine (Yes even the non-mining factions get freighters, what the heck?).

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Vulkhard Muller - 08-03-2018

Remove the rephacks except for mining factions and a few unlawfuls (Hessian molly Xeno) and let the sunburst mine everything. Also bump the miner to 2 across the board. Would make it useable by factions like Corsairs inrp ore piracy.

Posted blind from mobile becaud reaches suck sorry for typos

RE: Miner ID: Two viable ships and one Freighter-mined Ore. - Karst - 08-03-2018

(06-12-2018, 06:53 AM)Exo the Plier Guy Wrote: Miner ID will be forever unused by anyone save newbies

That's the point?

Miner ID is a beginner ID to get a feel for the mining system. If you really want to RP an independent miner that flies around on a Hegemon or whatever, you can still do that.
But there's no point in buffing an ID that, from a mining economy balance viewpoint, is intended to be temporary.