Discovery Gaming Community
How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: How well-known is the Nomad war ? (/showthread.php?tid=162234)

Pages: 1 2

How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Lanakov - 06-23-2018

Hello,

I have a simple question : how much do people know about the Nomad war depicted in Vanilla FL ? Is it widespread and widely accepted as fact ? Do people see it as merely a conspiracy, is it only known by a few nutjobs and intelligence agencies ?

I really have doubts about it and can't seem to find the exact answer I need. 25 years have passed so I imagine it'd be fairly well known at this point, but I can't recall whether there was an effort made to hide the truth about there being an alien force hellbent on our destruction and with the capacity to infiltrate our highest governmental tiers. I could see why this might have been done...

The reason behind my question is that the next big episode of SUPERDUPONT is in pre-production !!!!!!!!!!!!!! And as such, I'm evaluating fun ideas and possible narratives to integrate to the story. I know where it's going and what big things will happen, but I'm currently thinking of funny stories to tell on the way there. This would help me develop one of those ideas. Thanks in advance !
[Image: superdupont-we-need-you.jpg]

CORE
GALLIC
VALUES

WILL

RETURN

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Jadon King - 06-23-2018

I imagine it's well known in the edge. I know that Trent and Juni are still heralded as heroes in Liberty... No idea if why is public knowledge or not. Honestly your guess is as good as mine. But if you have a character who had ties to the Order, pretty sure you know what went on.

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Silver - 06-23-2018

Well...

Super Dupont. That's... nasty.

XD

Jokes aside, in what feeling I have from ingame and forum-wise rp, is that the squids are known. But a known like.. bad people exist in the world but my neighborhood does not suffer from those problems.

<3

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Karlotta - 06-23-2018

According to the ending of the SP campaign, everything was swept under the rug.

But in discovery, every single citizen of Liberty has felt the ***warmth*** of Nomad tentacles creeping up behind them while flying around in New York. I think the leadership of the Liberty Navy invited a Nomad Battleship to Manhattan at some point.

(06-23-2018, 12:21 AM)Jadon King Wrote: I know that Trent and Juni are still heralded as heroes in Liberty... No idea if why is public knowledge or not.

At the end of the SP campaign, Juni went back to being a power-whore and Trent went back to being a nobody. Kind of like nobody remembers the names of the guys who said "yes sir" and stormed he beaches, but everyone knows the names of the guys who told them to do it.

"Trent! You go first!"

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Princess_Stardust - 06-23-2018

(06-23-2018, 12:29 AM)Karlotta Wrote: According to the ending of the SP campaign, everything was swept under the rug.

But in discovery, every single citizen of Liberty has felt the ***warmth*** of Nomad tentacles creeping up behind them while flying around in New York. I think the leadership of the Liberty Navy invited a Nomad Battleship to Manhattan at some point.

the nomads are like the orz from star control 2

they like to touch you in places with there tentacles

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - A.B. - 06-23-2018

I like to think that at some point around 810-815 everything ceased to be "just some wild conspiracy theory" to the public. Let's actually remember that SP clearly shows the citizens of the colonies thought about it as a major conflict caused by Rheinland (they forced KNF to surrender at Honshu, for example) with usage of experimental tech. Like Karlotta said, everything was swept under the rug and most likely covered as "human" conspiracy - with Nomad ships and tech (used by "bad" Liberty Navy in the last missions) being nothing less but experimental tech at best.

Let's not forget about one thing. The most vital weaponry of Nomads was conspiracy and ploy, therefore inside colonies they fought through proxies. The only time you see any Nomad ship inside colonies is the secret facility in Rheinland. In the Edge Worlds they would be a bit more open and nobody would bat an eye, since they likely knew about human tendency to create said conspiracy theories denounced by the government and common citizens among the colonies.

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Stolt. - 06-23-2018

Back in 2009-2010, the [LN] and almost all lawfuls RP'ed sweeping the nomad war under the rug. People would come into Liberty and start talking about Nomads, [LN] would actively deny it calling it a conspiracy theory and denounce the Order (back there LN had ZOI in the Omicrons and Order were able to bring capital ships into Manhattan).

However, Liberty and Rheinland went to war over accusations of illegal or unsafe nomad research. At some point, [LN] and LibGov also decided to stop trying to cover up the war because there was no point. Edge Worlds and Omicrons knew about it inRP but there were too many lolwuts going around talking about it in the open so they just screw it, let's make our lives easier and let people talk about it openly because it doesn't make sense to enforce something like that.

When I returned with a new account in 2013, I noticed nobody was covering up the existence of the nomads or the history of the nomad war anymore. Whereas before if someone saw a nomad in New York, LN would blow it up and tell people "You didn't see anything", none that was happening anymore.

The existence of nomads and the history of the nomad war is therefore, public knowledge. I'd imagine Trent is famous and well known, comparably with figures such as Eisenhower/Churchill etc. I don't know if Orillion or Juni are well known. Most people don't really bring him up anyway.

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Antonio - 06-23-2018

I doubt two official declarations of war followed by massive invasion of Liberty and Kusari by Rheinland can be swept under the rug just like that. Rheinland was even ready for an orbital bombardment of Planet New Tokyo had Kusari not surrendered. I'm pretty sure the war itself is public knowledge, but the exact details like the Nomads, experimental tech, etc. might not be. The questions that arise are "why are we calling it the "Nomad" war and pretend Nomads don't exist" and "how'd we hide the Nomads if they were seen by so many witnesses that it's pretty much impossible to make them all quiet"?

I don't think it's been swept under the rug, but I think the whole story was modified to make Nomads look as the only bad guy who got fully destroyed, to make the public feel safer. Today, a random citizen of Manhattan or New London will talk about it and say "yeah it happened but the aliens that attacked us are nowhere to be seen anymore, life goes on". It also enables all the ones that wanted to continue with experimental tech to keep doing so without the public wondering about it. Only a *very* small percentage of people live in Edge Worlds so there probably are rumors outside of them but they're nothing but rumors that an average person can't check.

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Lanakov - 06-23-2018

Good thing I asked, then, it did seem a particularly nuanced issue. My takeaway from this is that it's fairly well-known but not everyone is super familiar with the whole alien mind control shenanings part. Excellent ! All I needed. Thanks a lot everyone !

RE: How well-known is the Nomad war ? - Karlotta - 06-23-2018

(06-23-2018, 08:12 AM)Antonio Wrote: I doubt two official declarations of war followed by massive invasion of Liberty and Kusari by Rheinland can be swept under the rug just like that.

Of course not. They announced that in the news. But the fact that everything was caused by aliens was swept under the rug.