Discovery Gaming Community
Capital Ship Tips and Techniques, beyond the basics. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Capital Ship Tips and Techniques, beyond the basics. (/showthread.php?tid=162543)

Capital Ship Tips and Techniques, beyond the basics. - Hubjump - 07-05-2018

Blind fire as is commonly practiced

Your crosshair moves based on your gun's average velocity in that group.

Adding fast secondaries to a mortar means the average velocity is way higher and the crosshair moves less in an attempt to hit more secondaries.

But the crosshair is only available at that range because of the range stat of the mortar.

No mortar = Crosshair only at 2k range. No good.
Only mortar = Crosshair sways more due to the low velocity of the mortar.
Secs + Mortar = Tight long-range crosshair.

More crosshair sway means fewer shots on target.

Use a fire weapon group key to fire your desired guns at that tight crosshair.

You only need to look at the range to know when the guns you wanna fire will be in range or not.

Actual old blind fire is not having any weapons active and pressing fire weapon group keys with no crosshair at all.
This is the hardest to master but has the highest skill level.

Times to use blind fire: when your opponent is flying moderately straight, such as strafing or poorly turret steering away from you.
Times not to use blind fire: when your opponent is flying wide either to reposition or evade your blind fire. At this point, you're likely better off firing your weapons normally. To see higher hit rates against wide turns attempt to match their direction to compensate for the crosshair's lack of directional awareness.

The crosshair only factors in speed in a given direction, it does not consider turn rate.

Advanced movement in Capital Ships

Engine Killing:

Engine killing also known as EK is a key that disables your engine and allows you to drift.
Like in snub craft, this is good for early turning or delaying a turn to more sharply change direction.

Engine killing from Cruise and tapping reverse or preferably a strafe key will slightly slow you down and allow your energy to regenerate at around 318ms allowing for very quick close-range entries into the fight with a regenerated power core.

Strafe assisted Turret Steering (STS):

STS is based on extending or tightening your movement to turn faster and manipulate your enemy's crosshair into being less accurate.

The key to STS is to strafe with or against your turns.

Strafing with your turns will tighten them and you'll dodge wider shots and complete your turn marginally quicker.

Strafing against your turns will dodge tighter shots and will widen your turn. This is often advantageous for careful repositioning.

Tighter and wider turns will affect the enemy's crosshair to the point of it being made nearly redundant unless at point-blank range.

STS is a good counter to most Blind Fire but due to the nature of turret steering, you will lose speed when using this technique and not be able to chase or kite as well as standard Strafing. However, you will have more success at evading enemy fire as long as they don't get too close.

Combined uses of movement

Most ships have a sweet side where most of their firepower is packed.
You can Engine Kill slightly past your target and keep your sweet side pointed at them. Usually resulting in a higher DPS rate than they can sustain.

Engine kill loses speed at such a slow rate it isn't a considerable factor. Thus if you successfully EK at impulse speed past a ship, they'll never be able to close the distance and will be forced to face your sweet side or disengage.

Dodging in larger ships:
Many large ships are too large to effectively strafe. They're forced to STS to be capable of dodging coordinated fire or any fire at all for that matter.
A good trick I find that keeps me alive behind the bridge of a large ship is a three-point dodge:

1. Begin strafing until the opponent fires their decoy mortar at you.
  2. Change strafe as soon as that mortar is fired to bait the enemy into firing their second mortar.
  3. Once the second mortar is fired you can use STS to pull as hard as you can into a direction you haven't strafed.
    You will likely have to EK at the peak of this maneuver to straighten out your ship to avoid your tail getting snagged on the second mortar.

The EK drift is often enough to evade much more than two mortars but due to the size of the ship you might find limited success.

How to deal with snub craft in a capital ship

To have further success in hitting and thus deterring snub craft from harassing your grandiose capital ship try these tricks.

Chain fire.
Increase your fire rate by firing your guns in half salvos. Use a fire weapon group key to fire half the guns first then resume firing as normal.

Flaks.
Flaks can be fired with the Fire Missile key.
Flaks discombobulate the enemy snub craft often allowing for a split moment to lay into them with all your wrath.

Strafe.
Snubs tend to box strafe to avoid fire. By frantically strafing as a snub approaches you there's a good chance you will match them for a moment. That moment is when your guns will be aligned and swat them away.

Turning/STS'ing into turning snub craft.
By doing this you're once more compensating for the crosshair's lack of awareness regarding turning vessels.

How to deal with Torpedos

Enter turret view and zoom nearly all the way out.
You want to be able to keep your guns forward and thus immediately responsive to enemy fire.

You can harass the enemy with secondary fire but to evade torpedoes they must be flaked. Response time is key.

If the enemy begins to fire their torpedoes at you with no target, blind fire if you will, then you should look at when they turn towards you to do this. Fire a flak at them in anticipation to discombobulate both them and their would-be torpedo.

RE: informal pro dodging stuff - SnakThree - 07-05-2018

You cannot put swear words in images. Please edit them if you want it to remain visible without staff warning you.

RE: informal pro dodging stuff - Ruairi - 07-05-2018

boo hoo, a community full of salty adults cant handle swear words on forums even though everyone swears anywhere else that its possible

good guide though, ive been wondering how you become "pRo DoDgEr"

RE: informal pro dodging stuff - Silver - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 09:34 PM)Ruairi Wrote: boo hoo, a community full of salty adults cant handle swear words on forums even though everyone swears anywhere else that its possible

good guide though, ive been wondering how you become "pRo DoDgEr"

That and kudos to Hub for putting it together.

Now die to Nova fire.

<3

RE: informal pro dodging stuff - Hubjump - 07-05-2018

(07-05-2018, 07:25 PM)SnakThree Wrote: You cannot put swear words in images. Please edit them if you want it to remain visible without staff warning you.

ey my man done, but yeah jess told me i should make a guide and i cba to do one really but at the same time this kinda stuff is important to know cos from basic strafe assisted movement so many things are doable and players should be able to self teach and develop more techniques to use, maybe techniques that even i don't know the existence of.
But as i said, every small advantage in battleship combat matters.

RE: informal pro dodging stuff - ~Chio - 11-06-2018

n01c3

RE: Capital Ship Tips and Techniques, beyond the basics. - Hubjump - 04-25-2023

It's 5 years too late but here it is.
There are a couple of other techniques I haven't listed because they're almost entirely outdated.

RE: Capital Ship Tips and Techniques, beyond the basics. - Eurobeat - 04-25-2023

i wonder if i can do STS with what remains of my left hand, maybe we can do some conn pews again like the good days. i still fly the exact same ship as back then but i haven't improved even slightly