Discovery Gaming Community
Alternative to deleting systems - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Alternative to deleting systems (/showthread.php?tid=162711)

Pages: 1 2

Alternative to deleting systems - Karlotta - 07-14-2018

There has been a poll presenting only the options of either deleting or "trying to revitalize" empty systems.

There is a third way that will combine the good aspects of both options and not include the bad aspects. Here's a summary:

1. DELETE SYSTEMS

pro: Leaves less systems for players to be spread out in, thereby raising density and chance of player encounters

con: Removes unique content from the mod. Less to explore. Requires moving or removing ship/gear(commodity sale points, missions, codename wrecks, interesting content). Eliminates/retcons past lore and roleplay. Doing that requires much dev work. Blind jumps may end people up in the deleted systems.

2. KEEP AND "TRY TO REVIVE" EMPTY SYSTEMS

pro: Leaves more content for players to explore, and leaves the existing content of the systems.

cons: "revival" strategy not clear. Getting or forcing players to play/pass in now empty systems will drain other systems of activity, lowering the number of player encounters.

3. CHANGE JUMP CONNECTIONS SO THEY FOCUS PLAYERS INTO CERTAIN SYSTEMS AND ROUTES

as described here: https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=157354

pro: Raises the overall chance of encounters on the server. Makes routes/player locations more predictable for players looking for interactions. Leaves content to explore. Does not require moving/removing ship/gear/commodity sale pointss, missions, codename wrecks, or any other content. Does not erase/retcon roleplay or lore. Jumphole connections are already described as unstable in lore. Makes travel from now far away places faster by making connections farther, effectively moving Sirius to gether. Requires little dev work. The "unbalancing" of trade by the new/removed routes will have the overall effect of focusing players onto certain routes, making it easier to find traders. Requires minimal dev work.

cons: A little rebalancing of some trade routes (and maybe infocards) that end up OP after the jump overhaul is done. But much less work than deleting systems.

I guess fro option three, I guess there remains the option to remove SOME systems that nobody likes and really have no content, but overall interesting content can be kept.

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - kerfy - 07-14-2018

or just leave the systems as they are.. Smile

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - Binski - 07-14-2018

(07-14-2018, 01:00 PM)kerfy Wrote: or just leave the systems as they are.. Smile

?? I believe features and new content can best solve the population dispersal, not removing systems, houses, or parts of the jump network. Curbing traffic by removing routes (especially back routes) to get encounters more easily seems like a hollow victory to me. I dont think it will make much of a difference, and just needlessly change whats working fine already. System wise, reusing unpopular areas instead of shrinking the game seems the most logical to me.

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - Nodoka Hanamura - 07-14-2018

(07-14-2018, 01:00 PM)kerfy Wrote: or just leave the systems as they are.. Smile

[Image: mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3.jpg]

Even though this will only leave the problem going? I think that the best course of action is to add things to give people a reason to go there. Manhattan, Barrier Gate, Freeport 11, These are all hotspots. The solution is to find out how to make them hotspots like these and ergo, give them a reason to be here. Anyone should know existing for the sake of existing isn't a good policy.

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - Batavia - 07-16-2018

Oh look, it's another Karlotta thread about the same thing. I see you still don't understand why your proposal wouldn't work. Your previous thread went quiet, so let's make a new one huh?

4) None of the above.

^ could a mod please add this option?

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - Karlotta - 07-16-2018

(07-16-2018, 01:59 AM)Batavia Wrote: Oh look, it's another Karlotta thread about the same thing. I see you still don't understand why your proposal wouldn't work. Your previous thread went quiet, so let's make a new one huh?

4) None of the above.

^ could a mod please add this option?

https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=157354&pid=2015954#pid2015954

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - SnakThree - 07-16-2018

We need tweaks, not overhauls. Narrow poll that was designed to serve as platform for "advertising" your idea.

Well tbh its more a tweak than a complete overhaul, since most routes stay the same. And what's wrong with advertising an idea, or calling attention to it after someone didnt mention the third alternative in an even narrower poll?

RE: Alternative to deleting systems - SnakThree - 07-16-2018

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Then maybe Saint Snak3 should make a new poll, and right the injustice of not including "tweak" in addition to "overhaul"?