Discovery Gaming Community
In-game fps limiter - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: In-game fps limiter (/showthread.php?tid=162841)

In-game fps limiter - Kyoi - 07-17-2018

Usually my frame rate is capped at a consistent 152, but after the patch with the fps limiter, it's hovering between 132-140
Intended?

RE: In-game fps limiter - Lythrilux - 07-17-2018

It's supposed to be 155 FPS afaik. Only Win 10 machines are affected.

RE: In-game fps limiter - Sanctions - 07-17-2018

You know it's not important unless it's under 120.
Some managed to perform good enough even with v-sync (60 fps) in the past. Even on 4:3 screens.

RE: In-game fps limiter - Karlotta - 07-17-2018

Does this mean I can turn v-sync off? Because my v-sync is at 60 Hz.

RE: In-game fps limiter - Kyoi - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 02:20 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Does this mean I can turn v-sync off? Because my v-sync is at 60 Hz.

Seems to work although occassionally the game seems to crash during loading screens because it registers absurd amounts of fps

RE: In-game fps limiter - Sanctions - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 02:20 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Does this mean I can turn v-sync off? Because my v-sync is at 60 Hz.
V-sync with 60Hz would mean clunkier but slower perception of the game, as I'd describe it.
Playing with V-sync off gives smoothier and faster performance.

Easy way to cap FPS would be downloading Bandicam and just keeping it in the tray with a set FPS limit to a number you need.

Try what fits you the best.

RE: In-game fps limiter - Kazinsal - 07-17-2018

We have an in-game FPS limiter set to 150 (it's actually set to 155 with a sub-variance factor of 15, because Digital Anvil can't do anything right) that kicks in on Windows 10 machines because Windows 10 dropped official support for Direct3D 8 exclusive fullscreen. This kills the V-sync, and yay your Freelancer install is now running at an absurd framerate.

Now, we had to balance our solution to this. The number of players using Windows 10 is rising and the number of players using Windows 7 is falling, and in accordance with this, the number of players unintentionally jittering because our game engine is a pile of mistakes like a prom night on which a young couple decided to raw dog it and then give Chris Roberts all their money. So, to fix this, either A) we keep hoping people are going to realize they're jittering (which they don't) and solve the problem before they get sanctioned for something they don't know they're doing (which they will) and then quit the game because grr admins (which they do), or B) we throw in a framerate limiter that works pretty well considering the limitations of the hell mess that is the Digital Anvil Engine We Don't Have A Name For to stop both intentional and unintentional jittering and live with the fact that sometimes people lose a few frames here and there.

We preferred the latter.