Discovery Gaming Community
[split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery. (/showthread.php?tid=162867)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - SCEC - 07-18-2018

(07-18-2018, 03:02 PM)Karlotta Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 02:30 PM)Backo Wrote: Just because people aren't as vocal about Stalinism references in our community doesn't mean they're in any way more tasteful than space Nazi Germany. As someone who lives in a country which was spared the racial hunt and Nazi occupation but was part of the Eastern Bloc after the 2nd world war I find references to the latter a lot more close to home than the former.

Every group has things that offend them but for some reason it's only last century Germany that gets "fixed" in order to not offend people. I simply don't like this double standard.

How about the double standard where not once does anyone ever bring up coalition stalinism unless it's to defend one kind of nazi crap or another?

(07-18-2018, 02:50 PM)Gardarik Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:15 PM)Karlotta Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)Gardarik Wrote: ... triggered ... feminism ... SJW ... snowflakes ...

And should you decide that it promotes some views - please, I studied to be a propagandist and know techniques way more effective than this.

It looks like you "studied to be a propagandist" by swallowing up propaganda on youtube and are repeating propaganda without even noticing that you're repeating propaganda.

Oh really? So tell me, then, what is propaganda in your imagination? I will get some popcorn and be ready to laugh. Please, educate those in the darkness, oh omniscient! 'Cos usage of colloquialisms just as they are, as far as I remember, does not pertain to a particular propaganda technique. Or do you want to just reduce your "argument" to ad hominem?

You bringing up feminism, social justice, and snowflakes in a discussion that has nothing to do with any of them except their association with the topic as purported by rightwing propaganda videos, produced by right wing youtube outlets around the time of the 2016 electoral campaign, suggests a certain amount of indoctrination on your part by these videos.

Hmmm, how to put it right. Your assumptions are completely wrong, because:

a) I am not a citizen of the US and although studying propaganda, I couldn't care less about elections of 2016 in the US, more especially about the propagandist videos on Youtube. Even more especially when there is an undeclared war in your neighbourhood and you have pretty much other stuff to worry about than Clinton vs. Trump.

b) more to the point. Those words might bear associations to Trump's electoral campaign, but you know that world is not limited to the US and their elections. For instance "snowflake" in its meaning of a person trying to look special got popular after the movie "Fight Club" way before 2016. Besides, using them as a comparison has nothing to do with propaganda narrative.

c) and the most important. Propaganda, unlike PR, cultural power, or strategic relations does not imply feedback. When propagandists narrate about whatever they cannot care less about what you think for the golden rule of propaganda is "simplify and repeat" in hope that like spam it will stick inside humans' heads. Neither my post, nor youtube videos (monetised through views, likes, comments and subscriptions) have such disregard to feedback.

All in all, this proves that you know little about propaganda and most likely oppose (and lowkey get triggered) by right-wing narrative. Further assumptive comments are therefore deemed irrelevant. Have a nice day and don't get triggered - it is not funny, but sad.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Durandal - 07-18-2018

It is a game and the five page disaster that followed is the exact reason we chose to rename the system. I'm not personally offended at all but this absolutely isn't worth it. Imagine you're a new player reading this release thread and let that sink in a bit.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Lythrilux - 07-18-2018

Couldn't agree more Justin.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Laura C. - 07-18-2018

Yeah. What happened to good old zoner/junker/core/whatever-other-faction dramas. Those were at least related to the game and not almost century old political crap.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Lanakov - 07-18-2018

I entirely concur. I don't think any rookie needs to see this. Or anyone else, for that matter. I certainly didn't.

RE: Release - 4.90 Part 2 - Karlotta - 07-18-2018

(07-18-2018, 03:17 PM)Foxglove Wrote: People equating something related to Prussia as being related to Nazis apparently have never actually read a history book. Prussia was literally the last basion of the rule of law and liberal tendencies in the Germanosphere who opposed the NSDAP viciously. Even reading the Wikipedia page would tell you that.

Well it's a good thing nobody here equated Prussia to Nazis then. Why do feel you need to pretend like someone did, just like you misrepresented previous standpoints? The fact that today's nazis like to call Kaliningrad Königsberg and pretend it's still a german city has nothing to do with it being Prussian in particular. Nor would it if it was Bavarian or Swabian. It has to do with ideology and revanchism, not "Prussian values". Did you read the part where I said my gramps was from Königsberg, without being a nazi?

(07-18-2018, 03:18 PM)Gardarik Wrote: Hmmm, how to put it right. Your assumptions are completely wrong, because:

a) I am not a citizen of the US and although studying propaganda, I couldn't care less about elections of 2016 in the US, more especially about the propagandist videos on Youtube. Even more especially when there is an undeclared war in your neighbourhood and you have pretty much other stuff to worry about than Clinton vs. Trump.

You don't need to be a citizen of the USA to watch the videos and for them to have an impact on you. And obviously both happend to you, because you're repeating their exact narrative.

Also, what do you call "my neighborhood" and what is the undeclared war?

(07-18-2018, 03:18 PM)Gardarik Wrote: b) more to the point. Those words might bear associations to Trump's electoral campaign, but you know that world is not limited to the US and their elections. For instance "snowflake" in its meaning of a person trying to look special got popular after the movie "Fight Club" way before 2016. Besides, using them as a comparison has nothing to do with propaganda narrative.

But the combined use of "feminism", "SJW", "snowflakes", and them being "triggered" by rightwing stuff is straight from that propaganda narrative. It's less about Trump as person than it is about certain political alignments, of course.

(07-18-2018, 03:18 PM)Gardarik Wrote: c) and the most important. Propaganda, unlike PR, cultural power, or strategic relations does not imply feedback. When propagandists narrate about whatever they cannot care less about what you think for the golden rule of propaganda is "simplify and repeat" in hope that like spam it will stick inside humans' heads. Neither my post, nor youtube videos (monetised through views, likes, comments and subscriptions) have such disregard to feedback.

All in all, this proves that you know little about propaganda and most likely oppose (and lowkey get triggered) by right-wing narrative. Further assumptive comments are therefore deemed irrelevant. Have a nice day and don't get triggered - it is not funny, but sad.

"Simplify and repeat" is exactly what the videos that you got what you said from do, and it's exactly what you did. I'm not emotional or "triggered". I'm also not a feminist, a SJW, or a snowflake. You've obviously just been programmed to think that I am. This is getting really off topic, so if you want we can continue talking about it in pm.

RE: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery. - The Sovereign - 07-18-2018

The only reason this wasn't nuked to hell is because valid concerns have been raised. However, it will continue to be monitored, and it is expected that the discourse will continue in a civilized and useful manner. Enough sarcasm, sniping and baiting.

RE: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery. - Foxglove - 07-18-2018

I could go back and quote the instances where you did, but playing quote wars is pointless. I said my piece. Nothing here is convincing.

RE: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery. - Thyrzul - 07-18-2018

Concluding that someone is influenced by a certaing source of information simply because one's own views seem to align quite well with those coming from said source of information appears to me to be an incorrect cause-effect pairing. It implies that said source of information is the sole source of those views, even excluding the possibility of said individual forming his own views based on personal experiences.

Somewhere i've read something about such logical fallacy is being called or is related to the latin phrase "post hoc ergo propter hoc", but I'm not good at professional latin, so don't take my word on it for granted.

RE: [split] Discussion over Political influence and names in Discovery. - Karst - 07-18-2018

>huge update with major storyline changes
>community obsessed with the naming convention of one system

just_discovery_things.png

Edit: To add something of substance, since this isn't flood: I don't understand why people would get upset about using the legitimate name of a place in a language no longer native to that place. But I don't think it's a big deal either way and it's hilarious that this spawned a massive discussion.