Discovery Gaming Community
Just an ordinary visa interview - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Just an ordinary visa interview (/showthread.php?tid=163922)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Lanakov - 08-28-2018

Tap, tap, tap.

The fingers were drumming on the table again. A little stronger, a little faster, this time around. There was conflict within the amiral. The soft, paternal Montlaville side insisted that here was a mostly good-natured girl caught in an unfavorable situation and who did her genuine best to help. The maternal, Chanteloup side was absolutely furious at this Sirian peasant who was most likely hiding something from her with surprising skill and audacity. Or perhaps there was simply not much more to it ? Unconcerned with the runnings of her own conscience, Chanteloup let the battle unfold as she pondered where she'd go from there.

The drumming stopped. An idea had shot up.
"How would you describe your relationship with monsieur Vertiga ?" Chanteloup asked with practiced nonchalance, after a moment of consideration.

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Sombs - 08-29-2018

Août 20th, 741 - Tunisie système

This was bad. This was very bad, and absolutely not in Sombra's favor. She gulped as the amiral voiced her next question, as it was uncomfortable for multiple reasons. Her eyes focused aversively the folder infront of her. She opened it again, uncovering the erotic picture of Ezrael and Enma. Without blushing, she turned the folder around to show the picture to her. "He used to be my biology teacher in college. Right now we're business partners. He bought me my ship and I am paying him back with the profits I make." She pointed at the picture. "It is sadly not more than that, admittedly. He is unable to live in a monogamous relationship, so I never was more than just another girl to please the sexual predator."

It was the truth, but avoiding important facts the Chanteloup was probably aiming to inquire about. It was also worded in a way that made Sombra believe she just dodged getting imprisoned to lure Ezrael out of his hideout. Despite being confident in her response being well thought through, Sombra's glance moved to the cup of coffee, then up to meet the eyes of the devil. "May I ask, amiral, why do you ask ? Do you consider him as a threat ?"

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Lanakov - 08-30-2018

Chanteloup had scoffed at "biology teacher". She had done it again, louder, at "sexual predator". Such tidbits, intertwined with what discreet reactions she had gathered from Sombra, were all she needed to turn doubts into certainties. Her grin lingered.

She knew, at this point, that she wouldn't get much more from this girl. At least not without more aggressive measures, but that was out of the question. From what Chanteloup had gathered, it would be mostly unnecessary, and probably undeserved. She was clearly covering for someone she loved, and if there were any dirty secret that'd get Vertiga on Gallia's kill-or-blackmail-into-subservience list, she wouldn't hear it from her. I need a cigarette.

The amiral straightened in her seat and smiled, such as it was, at Sombra.
"Stateless idealists flying around in neon warships aren't usually at the top of my security concerns, mademoiselle Hookier. Nevertheless, as I mentioned, it has been deemed necessary by people far smarter than you and I to keep tabs on that particular stateless idealist, in order for a certain decision to be reached. That he be a threat to Gallia or not will be decided by those people, in large part depending on what I'll be telling them after this, no doubt." Her smile changed subtly, and her gaze gave off an unusual light.
"I was only curious to know how much personal interest you had in protecting him from our... Attentions."

The intercom clicked again a second after she'd finished that last sentence.
"Lieutenant, apportez mes cigarettes, un briquet et le dossier de bienvenue. Oh, et faites préparer le vaisseau de mademoiselle Hookier."

Her aide barged in and gave her a blue-and-gold pack of Gauloise cigarettes, an elegant lighter and a file whose cover read "Bienvenue à Gallia !", with a conspicuous space before the exclamation mark. She stood up, thanked him, and walked up to Sombra as he left. She handed a cigarette to the girl, without asking.

"Come. I'm walking you back to your ship. Tell me what you'd like to see and do in Gallia on the way."

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Sombs - 08-30-2018

Stateless idealist in a neon warship. One way to describe Ezrael, she thought in agreement, although altruistic hedonistic adventurer would fit it just as much. Sombra felt impressed by how much respect the woman infront of her was commanding just by the way she treated her inferiors, or more exact, how they behaved in her presence. If people were like this with her around, how would they be with the gallic king around? And more importantly, if she was running the MRG, who was above her in the line of command? Who was to decide about how to deal with Ezrael and the Apahanta? Many questions, but no time to think about it right now. Taking the file she came here for in first place, and the cigarette the amiral offered her, just to realize how she found herself caught in the same position of inferiorness as Chanteloup's inferiors by just taking the drug into her hands, Sombra moved up to follow her. Why was there a space between Gallia and the excalamtion mark ?

"I'd lie if I was to say I wasn't interested in the gallic cuisine, amiral. I can see myself gaining one or two pounds once I set my feet on New Paris," Sombra began to explain, only being able to tell about the core gallic stereotypical aspects, "Spending time with a wealthy man like monsieur Vertiga means you get to try some rather exquisite imports from all over Sirius and sometimes even Gallia, and while the wine from Curacao's only winery is one of the top tier luxuries of Sirius, it is not the same as the gallic imports. The taste of curacaoan fruits has more of honey," Sombra added, looking at her cigarette. It was not like she never had a smoke before, but she disliked it. The things she once smoked were also of a different nature than just mere tobacco. "I would also like to see the solar systems of Gallia. I heard Burgundy contains an extraordinarily enormous gas giant which is dangerously close to turning into a sun."

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Lanakov - 08-31-2018

The corridors of Cordes were busier now, what with day operations having resumed. The atmosphere was quite different as a result, but that also owed to Chanteloup accompanying Sombra Hookier by herself. The personnel on duty would have been surprised to meet either of those women during their shift in this forsaken station ; two at once made that morning very special indeed. Naturally, they thought better of showing their surprise when meeting the pair. All of the sailors they crossed put their back against the wall to let them through while straightening up and uttering a simple, respectful "Amiral".
Chanteloup nodded at every one of them.

She was walking at a more considerate, slower pace than her usual relentless march from one crucial assignment to another, finding unexpected pleasure in Sombra's company. She doubted the feeling was mutual. Not that it ever mattered much. She even allowed herself a genuine, soft smile regarding the girl's remark upon Gallic cuisine. The edge was mostly gone and her demeanor had the tranquillity of a shark which had just feasted on a particularly fat seal. She took a couple of long drags on her cigarette as Sombra spoke, visibly relishing it.

They had just left the administrative quarters and were making their way through the more austere bulkheads.
"Hmmh. I'm not surprised a Curacoan native would be attracted to the smells and flavours of the Gallic arts of the table*. We take care in preserving our reputation, as you'll be able to verify for yourself soon enough." She paused.
"I am well aware that the purposes of your visit to Gallia stretch far beyond mere tourism, mademoiselle Hookier. Still, don't let that keep you from enjoying yourself while in our company. You have been given a privilege that few Sirians have experienced so far. I trust you'll find Gallia to be a generous and welcoming host, just as I trust you'll spread the word to your... Entourage."

They had arrived in front of the airlock which linked the Catport to Cordes. A quartier-maître was waiting by the door and stood at attention upon the women's arrival.
"Ship's ready, as ordered, amiral."
"Excellent. Dismissed." He straightened and walked away.
Chanteloup turned to face Sombra.
"This is it. Welcome to Gallia, mademoiselle Hookier. You are now our guest to come and go as you please. I give you my word that no trouble will come to you during your stay. If you have any questions, now is the time. And if not..."

She extended her right hand towards Sombra.

*Actual French expression which means exactly what it sounds like.

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Sombs - 08-31-2018

Entourage.

"Thank you, amiral. It was a pleasure to meet you." Making a step to position herself infront of the woman, Sombra took her hand for a semi-firm handshake. "No further questions apart from one. Do you want me to relay any specific message to monsieur Vertiga ?"

There was much relief to the situation as it was now. Given the amiral could have ordered to imprison Sombra as a lure for Vertiga, she took it as a token of trust that she did not. Maybe Gallia was not that bad at all. Sombra's eyes were glued to Chanteloup for the final moments. She was truly impressive, simply by the way she was.

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Lanakov - 09-01-2018

Chanteloup took a second to think, as she gauged Sombra, eye to eye, bemused.
"The pleasure was all mine", she finally replied, letting go of Sombra's hand, and wondered what would get them to meet again. Something serious, either very good or very bad. Time would tell. Why am I even wondering...?
"As for monsieur Vertiga... You may recount all that has transpired here, of course, and that Saint-Yves speaks of him fondly." She uttered a good-natured laugh, which she allowed to run its course before suddenly returning to her characteristic intensity.
"And... this, if you please : Gallia does not forget its enemies... Nor its friends. And it always makes sure both get precisely what they deserve." She paused, an enigmatic if not particularly threatening smile on her lips.

"I wish you a pleasant stay, mademoiselle Hookier", she ended up saying, then added, almost to her own surprise, the time-honored Marine goodbye, "Fair winds and a following sea".

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Sombs - 09-01-2018

There was a smirk on Sombra's lips. To a certain degree she would have enjoyed to talk with the amiral a bit more, but the less she did, the better it was, or she might leak something to Ezrael's disadvantage. But then again, this was a thing for almost two years now. She needed to watch what she was talking about.

"Safe skies to you as well, amiral !" Her smirk grew to a wide smile before she entered the airlocks to the Catport. Isabelle Montlaville de Chanteloup, the person who run the MRG. Having met her in person was definitely something Ezrael wanted to hear about. Moving to the cockpit section of the Whale, Sombra placed her file on the controls while sitting down in the piloting seat. Once more she had to smirk. Ezrael would surely want to hear about it - while enjoying a bottle of gallic wine! So she plotted the new waypoints.

It was time to explore Gallia.

RE: Just an ordinary visa interview - Lanakov - 09-01-2018

An audible thump was heard as the docking collar retracted onto the station. Then, vibrations were felt all across the corridor as the lumbering whale departed. Hands joined behind her back, Isabelle stood in place and reflected upon the moment that had just occured... And drifted in her thoughts, as the station intercom confirmed that the Catport had departed. She relished those few and far-between breaks, and she came to the difficult conclusion that she had liked the girl. She was used to her soldiers' stone-faced professionalism and to the Sirians' angry gesticulations or squirmy supplications. Such light-heartedness in a situation that many would have found (and often did) disquieting at best was news to her. She reasoned that Sombra must have gone through hell and back in service to what she now suspected was her passionate (albeit shared) lover, which probably had made her less susceptible to tense situations. Or she was good at concealing her emotions to avoid embarrassing her master ?

All items were likely.
Pleasant and easy-going ; she could have been a good friend, she heard her father say.
Finally, a Sirian peasant who's worth a little more than the air she breathes, she heard her mother say.
They rarely agreed on anything, even in her mind.

Then her aide-de-camp cleared his throat, and she turned to face him.
"What is it ?" she asked softly.
"Amiral... While you were interrogating Hookieur, the Grand Maréchal called in for your report..."
He paused. She stared him into not pausing.
"...Twice."

It ended. Isabelle became Chanteloup again, as the pressure returned to her shoulders ; her relaxed stance gave way imperceptibly to her usual tense, upright manners. Her world returned to a list of problems she had to solve, alone and with the fate of millions resting in the balance. She had always loved it, but she loved it a little less right now. Still, she grinned. The moment has passed. Back to work.

"Lieutenant, get me a direct line to the Etat-major. Don't stop until you can patch me directly to the Maréchal. And get me a coffee," she barked at her aide.