Discovery Gaming Community
Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models (/showthread.php?tid=164130)

Pages: 1 2

Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Kazinsal - 08-29-2018

Hi. I'm a terrible god damned modeler. That's why I don't do ships or stations, and instead I've decided to take a crack at some equipment. Now, I'm not an arr-teeest, nor am I actually part of the art team, but I know a horrendously low quality model when I see one and hoo boy you can count the triangles on a lot of old equipment models.

First up is the Mortar series of weapons. Currently they're all using the same little model that they've been using for entirely too long, a 110-triangle green-grey-brown brick that looks honestly rather non-threatening. I've decided to do up a model for the Heavy Mortar, get it finished, then do a normal Mortar model based on it (since it'll share most of the details and I am both a) terrible at texturing and b) incredibly gods damned lazy when it comes to visual art). The Light Mortar and Battlecruiser Mortar will likely be downscaled versions of the Mortar and Heavy Mortar models respectively. I'm also probably going to rewrite the infocards to be more snazzy as well.

TL-25 "Mortar" Cryogenic Antimatter Projector
[Image: SHneKQF.png]
View in 3D: https://p3d.in/zUUTx (up to date)
Last updated: August 29, 2018

TL-45 "Heavy Mortar" Cryogenic Antimatter Projector
[Image: uGwSLX7.png]
View in 3D: https://p3d.in/skoLN (up to date)
Last updated: August 29, 2018

• 2018-08-29: Added textured Mortar and Heavy Mortar.

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Kalhmera - 08-29-2018

I think it looks awesome!

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - aerelm - 08-29-2018

Nice. It's about time we got some proper models for the heavier weapons ingame.

Tho, as nice as the model is, I'm personally not a big fan of barrels on energy weapons (esp. heavier ones). This thing would be perfect for some heavy ballistics turret, but when it comes to Mortars, they're basically charging up a massive ball of energy and spitting it out, so imo a railgun-like design (the scifi energy weapon type, not the modern day slug shooter) could probably reflect that type of functionality much better than a barrel.

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Kazinsal - 08-29-2018

Thanks guys. The reason for the big barrel etc. on it is... honestly kind of because I wrote the infocard before I started building the model. I have a bit of a bent against magic "it shots the antimattar" guns because antimatter doesn't really work that way and it's more fun to come up with semi-realistic or at least internally consistent explanations for breaking physics. Note that this isn't actually going to be the infocard, it's just a submission that would have to pass all the regular SLIS QA stuff to be accepted.

TL-25 "Mortar" Cryogenic Antimatter Projector

Based off of research into antimatter weaponry and named after the ancestor of all explosive siege weaponry, the TL-25 "Mortar" is a battleship-scale artillery weapon that is commonly found on battleships and dreadnoughts throughout Sirius. The weapon contains a cryogenics package that condenses and supercools hydrogen around a fullerened antimatter payload into a supercooled "slug" of antimatter-doped hydrogen ice. The projectile is then sent down a barrel containing a number of graviton-generating toroids, which, at the cost of a significant amount of power, attract and repel it in sequence like a gauss gun, imparting a minimum of heat on the outer layers of hydrogen ice while accelerating it to an effective velocity.

The unquestionable superiority of the Mortar in capital warfare for long-range engagements compared to the relatively close-quarters plasma projectors used in Cerberus-type turrets, combined with the efficiency of a primarily energy-based weapon in a battle of attrition in contrast to conventional torpedoes, resulted in variants of the weapon being developed for cruisers and later battlecruisers, as well as a higher-input, higher-output version commonly known as the "Heavy Mortar". Regardless of the variant, the success of the Mortar ensured that the family of weapons would be seen on just about every warship in Sirius for centuries to come.

Anyways, texturing is done. Meet the TL-25 "Mortar" Cryogenic Antimatter Projector and the TL-45 "Heavy Mortar" Cryogenic Antimatter Projector:

[Image: SHneKQF.png] [Image: uGwSLX7.png]

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Venkman - 08-29-2018

The texture on the barrel looks neat. Well done.

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Settra - 08-29-2018

Looks far better than what we currently have in game.

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - aerelm - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 07:33 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: The projectile is then sent down a barrel containing a number of graviton-generating toroids, which, at the cost of a significant amount of power, attract and repel it in sequence like a gauss gun
Well, even the infocard references the railgun-style design (gauss gun wouldn't really be the right term for it btw, since it generally refers to the scaled down hand operated version of the weapon), but tbh I just can't see it in this short cylindrical barrel, both because of the shape and the length, it doesn't look like it's charging anything through and instead just directing its trajectory (which wouldn't be needed for an energy weapon anyways).

imo, something like this would be much more fitting for the Mortar:

[Image: FufoKMI.png]

Great job on the texture though.

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Enkidu - 08-29-2018

I hate to plug my own organisation (such is the plight of the 1ic), but the Unioner turret models for caps are godawful and easily the worst faction specific gun models in the mod. They need to be seen to be believed.

Actually, they can be seen. Fetching a screen.

[Image: 1gWV2Ue.png?1]

That's the Unioner primary gun.

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - JorgeRyan - 08-29-2018

is that a gun or a pea shooter

(nice models kaz)

RE: Kazinsal Extrudes Slightly Less Mediocre Equipment Models - Kazinsal - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 09:26 AM)Riehl Wrote: [Image: 1gWV2Ue.png?1]

Yikes. Should definitely have some more Rheinlandic turrets at least.

I have a few other gun models I want to crank out as well, stuff that should be simpler at least. I'll probably start putting together a list if I have some downtime at work this afternoon and triage them as necessary.