Discovery Gaming Community
Supernova-series Railcannons v0.9 - 12 December - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Supernova-series Railcannons v0.9 - 12 December (/showthread.php?tid=164144)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Supernova-series Railcannons v0.9 - 12 December - aerelm - 08-29-2018

(12-12-2018, 04:48 PM)aerelm Wrote:
v0.9 is up.

Textures are done, the colors might just need some tweaking based on feedback. So feel free to share your opinion.

Also, for those concerned about clipping issues on SNAC, the mesh is now adjusted to take up the exact same space as the old model, which means except for a few odd exceptions that already have clipping issues (GMG Bomber, etc) no bomber with internal SN mount will have an issue with the new model.

Also, since a few people asked on Discord:

Why green? Simply for the sake of consistency. Cap razors, as well as a good chunk of other non-faction equipment (cerbs, solaris, snub missiles, torps, etc) use dirty-green and brown textures for their main surfaces, so this weapon line is also colored in a similar style to fit with the rest of generic equipments. The colors still need some tweaks here and there, but those will be done ingame, since p3d doesn't exactly handle textures and lighting the same way as FL engine does.

[Image: DRDs4]
Base Mesh - Done
Textures - Mostly Done
Animations - Crashed and burned
Hardpoint Revision - Done

View in 3D
v0.9 - 12 December

Intended as replacements for Mini-Razor, SNAC, Mortar and Heavy Mortar models.

Been meaning to do a MR/SNAC model for a while, and since Kazinsal's new Mortar infocards made those fit into this style as well, figured instead of trying to annoy him to push his cap turret models toward this style and make it an either/or sort of deal, I can just throw somethin separate together so we can just have both of em, since more is always better!

Tricounts:

Mini-Razor ~ 800
SNAC ~ 950
Mortar ~ 1100
Heavy Mortar ~ 1300

Note: The 3D previews aren't up to scale. Snub versions will be slightly larger than the current models, and the cap versions will be roughly Battlerazor-sized.

(09-03-2018, 01:17 PM)aerelm Wrote: For those who were wondering, turrets will have a 45° vertical arc with no clipping issues:
[Image: eW0jZeR.png]

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - Sombs - 08-29-2018

Those look pretty cool, but have you compared the turret vert/poly count with vanilla ones? I'm suffering from PTSD from Freespace SCP, where models with a poly count of 15k+ caused heavy performance issues until it was fixed. I doubt it'll impact much on Freelancer since those turrets will be rarely used on ships (in terms of amounts) but still.

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - Vulkhard Muller - 08-29-2018

As much as I like Kaz's Models I really want a Bomber Railgun thingy...

so If we had to vote you got my vote.

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - Kaze - 08-29-2018

Already said my piece in Discord.

+1

<3

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - aerelm - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 02:53 PM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Those look pretty cool, but have you compared the turret vert/poly count with vanilla ones? I'm suffering from PTSD from Freespace SCP, where models with a poly count of 15k+ caused heavy performance issues until it was fixed. I doubt it'll impact much on Freelancer since those turrets will be rarely used on ships (in terms of amounts) but still.

These have a higher tricount than the current cap turrets, but it's not excessively high. For comparison, Bretonian BS Primary and Secondary turrets have roughly 250 tris, so having one of these Heavy Mortars on would only be as demanding as having 5 Bret turrets mounted on your ship, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Even if it does cause any performance drops, there are some workarounds to considerably reduce the tricount without changing the model much. So that's always an option.

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - Sanctions - 08-29-2018

Once you mention railguns, if SNACs would also have spiral particles like Excalibur or Diamondback, would be even better.
Good models still.

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - LaWey - 08-29-2018

Imo that too hightech style. Much better than what we have now, but why not make more freel ar-deco space dieselpunk stylysed with whole, non-sectioned rails? But, that just my opinion, never loved that type of sci-fi railguns design.

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - Zukeenee - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 02:48 PM)aerelm Wrote: Snub versions will be larger than the current ones

I just hope you're taking into account that some bombers have their torp mounts inside of their model (Roc, Bergelmir, etc). Wouldn't want to wind up with odd bits of SNAC geometry poking out the sides of the silly built-in torpedo tubes.

Other than that though, yeah, they're nice models.

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - Titan* - 08-29-2018

looks nice but i think capital weapon models will fit to capital codenames more they are using vanilla models so... anyway great work

RE: Supernova-series Railcannons - aerelm - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 03:21 PM)Zukeenee Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 02:48 PM)aerelm Wrote: Snub versions will be larger than the current ones

I just hope you're taking into account that some bombers have their torp mounts inside of their model (Roc, Bergelmir, etc). Wouldn't want to wind up with odd bits of SNAC geometry poking out the sides of the silly built-in torpedo tubes.

Other than that though, yeah, they're nice models.

Yea, that's already taken into account.

A few ships (like GMG Bomber) will probably need their hardpoint positions tweaked, but I'll be taking care of that myself to avoid adding to the golds' workload.