Discovery Gaming Community
Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight (/showthread.php?tid=164261)

Pages: 1 2

Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Alex. - 09-05-2018

At around midnight UTC I expect to be turning off FLServer, triggering early backups of our account database and configuration files, restoring from the backups on a new (ish) VM, and pointing the FLServer port to the new VM. During this time obviously the game will not be running. The new VM is running a different version of Windows. I don't anticipate this taking longer than an hour but we'll see.

Players should not need to do anything other than wait for it to come back online. The forums should be unaffected, though obviously some functionality that interacts with the game server may not work.

EDIT: This is being delayed slightly due to a little problem with an admin tool on the new machine.
EDIT 2: Sorted.
EDIT 3: All done.

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Alex. - 09-06-2018

This is beginning momentarily.

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Alex. - 09-06-2018

Give it a go now, and post here if you notice anything new that's broken and may be connected to this.

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Kazinsal - 09-06-2018

Evening/morning/afternoon y'all. I'm taking over for Alex on the outstanding items on this one so he can get some sleep, starting with the broken chat commands. I'll probably need to restart the server a few times over the next hour or so during during this process. Thanks for sticking with us while we make this migration happen.

e: /l, /s, and /g are now working again.

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Kalhmera - 09-06-2018

Thanks for the Hard work Friends!

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Greylock - 09-06-2018

Not sure if it's an issue with the game server or the forums, but the forums player list and POB status pages are dead.

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Kaze - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 09:46 AM)Greylock97 Wrote: Not sure if it's an issue with the game server or the forums, but the forums player list and POB status pages are dead.

It can be both, since the server moved from a VM to another, changing paths to a lot of stuff, no doubt. Anywho, apart from the PoB's, do it old school.

Log, watch and undock while the forum/server magicians do their magic.

Thanks for the work, people.

<3

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Kazinsal - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 09:46 AM)Greylock97 Wrote: Not sure if it's an issue with the game server or the forums, but the forums player list and POB status pages are dead.

Yeah something's not right with the API, but I'm not 100% sure where so that'll probably be an Alex thing for later today.

It's 2am, nothing immediately problematic has broken, and we're seeing much better server utilization numbers across the board so I'm calling it a night. Cheers folks.

RE: Scheduled downtime for game server VM migration tonight - Alley - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 10:19 AM)Kazinsal Wrote:

Yeah something's not right with the API, but I'm not 100% sure where so that'll probably be an Alex thing for later today.

It's 2am, nothing immediately problematic has broken, and we're seeing much better server utilization numbers across the board so I'm calling it a night. Cheers folks.

did you enable HFS? There is a routing rule in pfsense to allow the webserver to grab the files exposed by HFS.