Discovery Gaming Community
Split Interests: Christopher Maihos & Arya Davis - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Split Interests: Christopher Maihos & Arya Davis (/showthread.php?tid=165380)

Split Interests: Christopher Maihos & Arya Davis - Tenacity - 10-22-2018

[Image: mwkfcaC.png]

Commander Christopher Maihos barged into Arya's quarters onboard the Order Patrol Ship Leontopolis, forgoing the courtesy of requesting permission to enter. She was busy packing her things into a luggage crate, visibly fuming from frustration. "Arya, stop, you're not thinking clearly. Nothing good will come of resigning from the fleet."

"You dont get it, Chris. You're following orders blindly, can you even think for yourself anymore? Look at where we're at!" Arya was practically screaming at him, gesturing wildly out the window. "What the hell is the Overwatch doing sending Order military assets into the Sigmas to defend a Bundschuh research station from Outcasts? How does ANY of that make sense to you? High Command has lost their minds. Last week we were invading Alpha alongside half of the fleet, and the week before that we were hunting the Core. Since when are cardamine smugglers and upstart ex-bounty-hunters even worth our attention?"

Chris rubbed his temples, this was giving him a headache. He sighed in frustration as he tried to put his thoughts into words, "Look, there's got to be a reason they're sending us out here, we just have to trust in our orders, like we've always done. Whatever our mission here, it has to ultimately be for the good of the Order. You've flown with me for ten years, why abandon your post now? Why risk a court martial just because you dont like the assignment we're on?"

Arya slammed shut the luggage case and latched it, hefting it and another up and barging past Chris through the door to her quarters and heading towards the airlock. Chris pursued her, not letting her avoid the conversation, and she looked back at him with a glare, "You've forgotten why we're here in the first place! We signed up with the Order to fight aliens, to protect all of humanity, and since the incident on the Lynx and losing 8 years of our lives to it, we've fought precisely zero nomads. The Order has become like every other bureaucratically-driven military group in Sirius, more concerned with fighting one another in petty squabbles instead of unifying against what we KNOW to be more serious threat. I didnt sign on to fight outcasts and bounty hunters, or to settle other groups' disputes for them, I came here and spent ten years in the seat of a fighter to kill aliens and keep my friends and family on Crete from getting one stuck in their head, and that's what I'm going to keep doing."

Chris cut her off, blocking her path to the airlock, "And how are you going to do that, on your own? You dont even have a ship! How are you going to do any better out there than here? You're a good officer Arya, I need you here watching my back, you've always been my wingman, dont let me down now. Take a day, cool off, and rethink this."

Arya shook her head, "No. I'm not going on my own, some others in the reserve fleet calling themselves the Legacy of Orillion contacted me; ORILLION, the guy who started the entire Order in the first place. they have others that want to get back to fighting the real threat, and they're not wasting time, personnel, and resources trying to solve every other problem in this galaxy while the more important one persists."

"The Legacy of Orillion? Come on, Arya, you read the reports, Orillion is missing and probably dead, they recovered his ship and it was empty. This group you're running off to join has no support from the Black Fleet, from Overwatch, they'll probably run out of supplies and support within a month. Dont waste your career on this, please!"

She shoved him aside, "It's too late, Chris. Go, make friends with the Bundschuh and kill some drug addicts, if you still think your orders are worth following."

RE: Split Interests: Christopher Maihos & Arya Davis - Tenacity - 10-22-2018

Maihos returned to the bridge of the Leontopolis, feeling defeated and disheartened at the loss of his first officer. Arya was stubborn and bullheaded but she followed her heart, that got her into trouble more often than not during their years together as wingmen, and had earned her the callsign Wildcat in the first place. She had made a habit of disobeying orders to act on instinct, and while it usually turned out for the better, he wasnt sure it would end well for her this time around. Betraying the Black Fleet was a mistake no rookie pilot would risk, much less a seasoned officer, she was more or less writing her own death sentence. Even if there was no court martial, she would never find support from the fleet again.

As he sat down in the captain's chair, the comms officer turned to him, "Commander, security says Subcommander Davis is attempting to leave the ship?"

Maihos waved his hand in dismissal, "Let her go, she's resigning her position and we have a mission to get back to. She'll have to find her own way from here out."

A short few minutes later, the Airlock doors to the research station began to split apart, and the Leontopolis lifted off and set course for the dense green nebula ahead. Maihos had no room for doubt; he would follow his orders to the letter. It may not make any sense to him to be stationed far from Order space aiding Bundschuh from Rheinland against outcast pirates squabbling over territory claims, but there had to be a greater purpose to it. Overwatch knew more than the officers it presided over, they were just a chess piece in a sector-wide wargame, and any chess player knew that one piece out of place could mean losing it all. He had to believe there was a reason for this assignment.

Just before they entered the Donryu cloud, the comms officer, informed him that Arya had boarded a shuttlecraft and was bound for Order space. "I hope she knows what she's doing..." he muttered under his breath.

[Image: Ordergb.png]

RE: Split Interests: Christopher Maihos & Arya Davis - Tenacity - 10-22-2018

Days in a cramped shuttle had taken their toll, Arya was cranky and restless, she needed room to stretch her legs and the final few minutes of the landing procedure seemed to stretch on into hours. At long last, her shuttle set down in the docking bay of Dabadoru station, and she scampered down the staircase breathing in fresh air and arching her back in a grandiose and over exaggerated stretch. Despite ten years as a fighter pilot, she had never liked cramped spaces, and only the adrenaline of combat had helped distract her mind from the cramped confines of a cockpit.

As she recovered, Arya was confronted with a man wearing a clean, pressed uniform adorned in officer's stripes. She snapped into a salute, and he nodded, "At ease. I trust you've already gone over your recruitment papers," He turned and began to walk out of the small docking bay, and Arya followed, "To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised you would leave the Black Fleet to join us. Our applicants tend to be from... other... walks of life, freelancers and mercenaries and the like. It's a rare occurance to have a previously decorated combat pilot and officer seek us out."

She hustled to catch up alongside him, "So I was told by the Colonel that recruited me. I'm sure you're aware of the incident regarding the OSD Lynx, and that myself and the other crewmen lost 8 years of events to a jump anomaly? When we got back, they didnt even know who we were, we almost ended up shot to pieces by our own organization. Since then, Overwatch has been sending us on ridiculous assignments, and it seems like they've lost sight of fighting the Nomads entirely. I didnt sign up for that, I want to get back to what I joined for, the aliens are the real threat."

"I agree completely, Operative Davis. Regrettable and terrible things have happened to all of us, the entirety of The Order, but we cannot let the past interfere with what has always been our primary objective: the eradication of outside threats to humanity." The officer stepped through another bulkhead door and into a much larger airlock than the one she had arrived at, "Given your service record and rank with the Black Fleet prior to your recruitment, we've decided to give you a command of your own. This is the Ailuros, she's your ship now, go meet the crew and prepare for assignment at 0800 tomorrow, we have work to do."

Arya saluted as the officer turned and left, then looked over her shoulder at the ship siting in the hangar. It wasnt an Order design, but she assumed the Legacy had limited resources and pulled ships from wherever they could be found. Regardless, it was certainly new, covered in a bronze-tone armor that reflected the flood lights of the hangar and made the walls seem to glow in an orange hue. This was a Condor, originally a zoner-designed armored transport turned gunship, though it was quite apparent that this one, the Ailuros, had been retrofitted with technology unique to The Order, far more advanced than what would be available to civilian variants of the vessel. She grinned, it was rather fitting, the Condor-class was built along the same lines as the Hathor - this ship was, quite literally, the little sister to the Leontopolis. It would take her no time at all to familiarize herself with it.

[Image: Condor.png]